If I can boil water Can I boil wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggoodman

Reaction score
ok So Ive never brewed indoord but in test runs on the stove I can bring six gallons of water to a good boil on the stove. If I can boil six gallons of water I'll have no problem with the wort correct as it is denser and thus will retain heat better..

am I off on my thinking?

Thanks

GG

I always thought wort was harder than water to bring to a boil but once it reached that boil it was easier to keep boiling...

Yeah, you are pretty much golden.

Wort IS slightly harder to boil, (google "boiling point elevation", it's a colligative property, meaning it's a function of how much impurity is in the water....), but if you do the math, the BP elevation is around 0.5°C or something. I don't know how the latent heat of vaporization changes, but I'm assuming it stays pretty close to the same.

So, yeah, most likely you are fine, as the sugars/etc. don't change the water much.

i find my wort doesn't boil till 225 degrees

Either you are boiling the highest gravity wort known to man, or you're at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, or your thermometer is borked.

I am betting option "c"

For example, for a 1.070 SG wort, there is 189 grams/liter of sugar in water. This is 1.05 mol of sugar per liter, or a 1 M solution. BP elevation is deltaT=.512*1*1.05 = 0.538°C. So 1.070 SG wort at sea level boils at 100.538°C, or 212.968°F. Subtract 0.9°F for every 500 feet above sea level, or add 0.9°F for every 500 feet below sea level. Since most people live above sea level, it's going to be less than 213°F for boiling 1.070 SG wort for almost everybody.

That shouldnt make any difference at all. The temp of the wort is what matters. I would say its time for a new thermo

Or a recalibration of the current one, if possible. Just boil some tap water in your kitchen. Make sure it reads 212. Then make a slushie of crushed ice and water, make sure it reads 32.

Back