Idylis 5.0 Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmarshall1087

Reaction score
So I got my basement bar 90% complete, and began working on the keezer. I spent months researching all the forums, and building a spreadsheet of parts to find best prices, deals, etc. I already had a 5.0 CU FT freezer, and after doing my due diligence, I figured out that w/ a collar, I can fit 2 cornys/sixtels on the floor, 1 on the hump, with a 5lb tank and still have a decent amount of room. Of course, I knew I'd want to grow eventually, so I built the bar with space to actually fit up to a 10 cu ft keezer down the line.

So, here's my parts list, with prices at bottom:

1. Idylis 5.0 CU FT Freezer- Bought 4 years ago at lowest for $168
2. 2x10x8- Bought 1 to make the collar. Screwed it up and boards got warped so had to buy another.
3. Krome Dispense 4" SS Shanks- Bought 3 from my LHBS
4. 3/16" tail piece. Bought 3 from LHBS.
5. Beer Nut. Bought 3 from LHBS.
6. Faucet wrench. Bought 1 from LHBS.
7. Faucet handle M2F adapter. For making my own tap handles. Bought 3 from LHBS.
8. Faucet handle M2M adapter. For attaching said tap handles. Bought 3 from LHBS.
9. Perlick 630SS faucets. Bought 2 from LHBS.
10. Intertap SS faucet (unsure on model). Bought 1 from LHBS. I liked the options it offered, and price was right.
11. Intertap growler filler adapter. Bought from LHBS
12. 3-way CO2 manifold. Bought from LHBS.
13. 5 gallon ball-lock Corny. Bought 1 from LHBS.
14. CM Becker Ball Lock Liquid 1/4" MFL QD- Bought 2 online.
15. CM Becker Ball lock Gas 1/4" MFL QD- Bought 2 online.
16. 1/4" to 3/16" swivel nut- bought 2 online.
17. 1/4" to 5/16" swivel nut- bought 2 online.
18. Mini tubing cutter
19. 5/16" ID Gas tubing- Bought 20' online.
20. 3/16" ID Beer tubing- Bought 50' online.
21. Screw clamps- bought 14 online.
22. 5lb CO2 tank. Got lucky and got it for free from local beer distributor. Only paid for air fill.
23. Dual body, dual primary regulator. Allows different pressure to different kegs (i'll have beer AND soda on tap). Got a great deal online.
24. Thermaltake mobile external cooling fan- bought 1 online.
25. Inkbird ITC-308 Digital Temperature Thermostat. Bought 1 online.
26. Kegco Sanke Coupler (D System). Got 2 online, figuring I'll have commercial kegs hooked up for a little while.

Total price for everything listed above (freezer not included as i previously owned it) is $668.41. With freezer, its about $820.

Last edited:
Finally got all my parts in, laid out, and got the structural aspects of the keezer done.

First collar attempt sucked. I have a dehumidifier in my basement, so the boards I bought from local blue and orange were straight/true, but had moisture. I cut for dry fitting, and then left in the basement at 35% humidity and by the time I went to assemble, they were warped 5 ways from Sunday. Rather than making it fugly, and then dropping $60 on a hardword plank for a facade, I decided to just get another piece of 2x10, cut it, assemble it, stain it and seal it right away. I also dialed my humidity level up to 48%, and its made me have to empty my dehumidifier much less! First image below is of the dry fit first time around. Second is of finished collar.

20170930_170702.jpg

20171022_211705.jpg

After I got the collar stained (used minwax dark walnut for collar and bar tops), I put 3 coats of Minwax semi-gloss poly on. First 2 coats went on back to back; let dry and lightly sanded, and then put a 3rd coat on. I only did the outsides, top, and bottom. I left the inside bare, as I am using 1" foam boards, and HVAC tape to seal the inside.

One great recommendation that I got from another thread was to use camper top foam tape. I got it from home dep. and it was $4 for like 30 ft. 1/8" thick, and it stuck right to the freezer, but not to the collar. It adds cushion and insulation to the base, and it provides enough resistance to keep the collar from sliding back and forth but allows me to take the collar right off if I want.

I ended up spacing my taps out a little further than I'd have liked, they are about 6" center to center. I decided this based on wanting everything symmetrical, but didn't think about adding my towel rack to it, or finding a right drip tray. Oh well...I'll survive.

Used a 7/8" spade bit for the shank holes, and they fit PERFECTLY. Slid in smoothly, with 0 play/wiggle room.

Below images are as follows:

1. Keezer with collar before staining, fit inside the bar. I built the bar to house a slightly larger freezer for when I start to grow my brewing/kegging desires. Bar top is 43 3/4" tall. Bar top is (3) 2x10's (back one ripped down to fit).

2. Keezer with stained collar, and cut the bar top to size.

3. Finished staining/sealing the bar top and collar. Starting to get my decor ready.

4. Foamular 1" hard foam board used for insulating the inside of the collar. Each sheet cut 9" wide, and stops 3/4" from top of collar to allow for lid smoothly (1/16" slight gap...wasn't thrilled but I'll live with it).

5. Shank holes drilled out, and shanks/faucets attached. Bottle opener attached on the right. $2 at hobby lobby!

6. Top in view of shanks. With foam boards, it looks real nice.

20171015_202653.jpg

20171016_224837.jpg

20171022_194015.jpg

20171022_211721.jpg

20171022_223101.jpg

20171022_222026.jpg

A few different angles of the insulation installed. Installed side pieces first, then back, then front. Used standard wood glue (not the best, wouldn't do it again) and then HVAC taped all seams, and anywhere air/moisture could get behind the insulation. Only frustrating part is now my far right faucet is slightly loose (didn't fully tighten down the nut inside, and the insulation is over it.) Not tremendously concerned as the faucet is on tight, but have to be wary of tap handle weight as it may be inclined to spin.

20171024_222356.jpg

20171024_222413.jpg

That brings me to today. Got the temp control set up last night. Went with the Inkbird ITC-308 Digital Temperature Thermostat. Couldn't be happier. Price was great, set up was perfect. It has high temp/low temp alarms, can set my variants +/- 1 deg. Set to 38 deg F, last night, and this morning it was 38.6 deg. No re-wiring required. Simply set controls, plug freezer power cord into the cooling plug in temp control, and plug temp control into wall outlet. Only gripe (and its minor) is with the thickness of the probe cord. Its slightly thicker than a standard headphone cord, and its round so without drilling a hole thru the collar, it causes a slight break in seal on the lid. Thankfully my collar was stock lumber, and had rounded edges. So I was able to seat the cord in the back right corner where the rounded edge of the back board met the flat edge of side board on the butt joint. I'll tape it down once I'm set in depth of probe. Probe itself is just about 2" long, maybe a little less. Right now I have it about mid-way down the inside of the keezer, in open air. I'll likely add it to a plastic test tube filled with water, and will velcro said test tube to the side of CO2 tank or something about midway to 2/3 way up in keezer. That way it doesnt react instantaneously to opening the lid, and it keeps the upper region of keezer as right temp.

I also have a Thermaltake mobile external cooling fan with variable (always on) speeds and a USB plug on retractable cord. Haven't decided how to set it up (mounted or sitting on its stand; and towards the bottom, or build a shelf up top). But I feel that between the fan, the insulation, and thefact that its not a huge keezer, I shouldn't have any issues with temperature control.

Images below are just all the equipment I have (listed in first thread), with closeups of the temp controller, and fan. Will add images of them setup when I get home tonight.

20171022_212058.jpg

20171022_211640.jpg

20171022_212108.jpg

Picked up my first commercial keg last night! Sixtel of SA Octoberfest. I got the last keg of it in my county so I was pretty pleased with that. I threw it in the keezer last night to ensure it stays at temp. I'm cleaning/sanitizing and setting up my lines this morning; testing for leaks, and will be tapping it this evening. Also, I got a 1 gallon batch of cider fermenting. Will post updates and pics in a bit!

Looks great. I have the same Idylis 5.0 CU FT Freezer, that I converted over 2 years ago. It has been running non stop since. Lots of luck and cold pours from yours.

Looks great. I have the same Idylis 5.0 CU FT Freezer, that I converted over 2 years ago. It has been running non stop since. Lots of luck and cold pours from yours.

how do you do your temperature controlling? any issues with short cycling it?

Thanks for following along!

What are the interior dimensions of the lower level of the freezer?

@bruker, as soon as I get a chance, I will measure it out for you. Right now, however, I have a sixtel and a ball lock on the floor, with room for another on the hump, plus my CO2

Sure just make the height of collar with lid taller. I have two 3 gal and one 2.5 gal going in this one

I can fit 2 sixtels on the floor without a collar, but I needed a 10" collar to be able to fit one on the hump (going with a standard sankey coupler). I got my first sixtel tapped the other night. SA Octoberfest. Set it at 10 PSI with about 10' of line. Pour is a little slow, but its absolutely perfect in terms of foam levels, head, etc.

I use a simple Johnson controller ( I do not remember the model ) I have i set to 37*. I cycles on about twice an hour. I could get that better, but I didn't insulate the collar.

Ok...that didn't take long. I'm already ready for a bigger freezer!!! I got a second sixtel today. I can fit a sixtel and a corny on the floor, and a second sixtel on the hump. CO tank on the hump too but its like a jigsaw puzzle. I'll be looking for a new freezer come Turkey day sales time!

The best I can do is 2 corny on the floor and 1 on the hump, but I need to put a taller collar on first. Btw, . What part of nyc are you? As my name states, I am in Brooklyn.

The best I can do is 2 corny on the floor and 1 on the hump, but I need to put a taller collar on first. Btw, . What part of nyc are you? As my name states, I am in Brooklyn.

I'm actually up in Orange County, but for some reason I couldn't select my town, so NYC was the next best location.

No need to keep the CO2 in the keezer. In my fridge conversion it sits on the floor next to it with a chain holding it to the shelf it is by(safety in case of bumps!). Might gain keg space that way!

I just measured this freezer. The floor is 15x15 and the shelf 15x8. Floor is 27" deep and shelf is 19"

Latest posts

Back