idophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandler71

Reaction score
I stopped yesterday by the local feed store and asked for idophor. They did not carry this, but did have an iodine antiseptic wash. Is this the same thing?

It sounds like it is already dilute and may have some other sudsing ingredients. What are the ingredients in the wash?

Yes. They don't call it iodophor in the dairy industry, they call it diary sanitizer or teat wash. Technically iodophor is a trade name I think owned by BTF, like xerox. Though Technically iodophors are;

An Iodophor is a preparation containing iodine complexed with a solubilizing agent, such as a surfactant or povidone (forming povidone-iodine). The result is a water-soluble material that releases free iodine when in solution. Iodophors are prepared by mixing iodine with the solubilizing agent; heat can be used to speed up the reaction.

But commonly when you go to a beer store you and ask for iodophor they will give you that. But in farm and feed you call it iodine sanitizer, teat wash, teat dip or something like that.

You're fine. I get the stuff from tractor supply company by Dionne.

2209723.jpg

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...und-care/dionne-gentle-iodine-1-1-gal-2209723

The nice thing is that it foams up a bit like starsan when you add water to it.

I'm not sure about betadine being the same thing but I too am in healthcare and from what I've found, anything being sold for medical purposes is outrageously more expensive.

True. :D

Also, is this povidone/iodine solution the same used for the iodine test or only for sanitizing? (I'm getting really close to having everything I need, except knowledge, to attempt AG. :))

I went to my local farm supply store (Atwoods) and checked for some Iodine sanitizer. What I found was 2 different Iodine based solutions in a locked glass case. They had Triodine-7 and smaller bottles of what Revvy recommended, Ideal Gentle Iodine Wound Spray. I couldn't pick either of them up because I couldn't find anyone to unlock the case, but I could partially read warnings on both of these labels that said DO NOT INGEST. The Triodine-7 even had a antidote formula in case you did accidentally get some in your mouth.

Reviewing the ingredients lists online, if looks like the Triodine-7 has more stuff in it, while the Gentle Spray only has Iodine active (1%). Is it safe to assume that that the other 99% of the Gentle Spray is water, or is that the last assumption of a man who is about to poison himself? Does it become non-toxic after diluting 1 Tbs of it in a gallon of water?

I'm scared. I think I may go ahead and shell out the extra $$$ for the LHBS non-toxic equivalent. I'll bow to Revvy's else's superior knowledge in this matter though, should he say its OK to use either of these.

42410624-260x260-0-0_Durvet+Triodine+7+Quart.jpg
2209618_set

Evidently they have to lock it up because iodine is used in meth labs. At least that's what the guy at my local feed store told me. They also can't sell it in a larger quantity without a special permit.

Evidently they have to lock it up because iodine is used in meth labs. At least that's what the guy at my local feed store told me. They also can't sell it in a larger quantity without a special permit.

Yup, if you look at the discussions on here, we were able to buy gallon jugs of it quite easily until it was tied into meth making...but you could still buy the smaller bottles, now it look like that is even more difficult.

And as to warning labels....starsan and iodophor say the same thing not to be taken internally....which we're not....We're not doing shots of this stuff, and even if we are, we're using the stuff dilluted, AND in extremely small contact quanitities, and they are breaking down.

Remembers that stuff is used in the process to sanitize EVERYTHING in that goes into the milk you drink, probably very similarily to the way we use it to sanitize stuff for brewing (no-rinse)....It is a titratbale iodine sanitizer, just like iodophor, just called something different and cheaper.

But we've been using it for long before I even learned about it, in homebrewing with no adverse affect. Like just about everything else we have adopted into homebrewing....

Did you know that the senior technical advisor for the National Propane Gas Association, had no idea that people made beer in propane turkey fryers until he was interviewed on Basic Brewing?

And pretty much spoke the party line of propane usage, which most of us pretty much ignore anyway.

Propane Safety and Tips on Basic Brewing Podcast.

You gotta make your own choices...everything has warnings, and a lot of things we've adopted, are not necessarily anything in the purview of the the "partyline" that folks "normally" using them would even understand. I mean, has anyone EVER called a customer service number, and EVER got anything that was more than a canned answer? You don't get much out of the box thinking when calling a 1-800 number, especially if you're going to be connected to someone in India. They are going to read whatever they've been told to read, say whatever they've been told to say.

So Revvy, do you dilute the Gentle Iodine Wound Spray at the same concentration that you would Iodophore (1 tsp to 1.5 gallons of cold water)?

True. :D

Also, is this povidone/iodine solution the same used for the iodine test or only for sanitizing? (I'm getting really close to having everything I need, except knowledge, to attempt AG. :))

Iodine tincture is the stuff predominantly used for the iodine test. I think you can wiki it. I got a small bottle (1 oz) but I had to ask for it from behind the pharmacy counter.

BTW, I did not find the iodine test too helpful because I would get incomplete conversion results even after 120 minutes. And I would end up with 70-80% efficiency in the end.

My guess is that it is from small particles of grain that get into the test drop and will never be completely converted to sugar.

Anyone else have this experience?

Reading my own suggestion to look on Wiki, sounds like Lugol's (contains no alcohol) is the recommended solution for the iodine test. I doubt it, but could this be the reason I always get an incomplete conversion iodine test?

Latest posts

Back