Identify this growth on my L...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMilkMan

Reaction score
......Lambic

I've got a beer sitting in my basement, since september, basically 5 gallon, 6lbs extract and 2 packs of wyeast 3278 blend. This was an experiment for ****s and giggles. Initial ferment looked fine, then as expected, white bacteria pellicle started forming... along with this giant brown island, which I'm not sure what it is. I'm sure it's probably fine, but for curiosity sake, can someone chime in?

20151228_111030.jpg

I can't tell you what it is but mine have some of that powdery stuff on them as well.

Could be mold could or be an infection from pore sanitation. If its Mold you can scrape it off it wont hurt you or affect the beer to much, If its an infection it will start smelling off, like vinegar or Buttered popcorn or Sulfur. Those wont kill you either but sort of makes the beer undrinkable.

An inside the carboy photo would provide more clues but I suspect mold. It'll be a b**** to scrape out but you could.

Probably will come with a delayed infection, but sometimes they work out with minimal to no off-putting esters.

-T

I really don't think it's a problem. I just bottled a crooked stave and orval batch that had some of this on top. Tasted really "clean." Tart and bretty but no off flavors.

I wouldn't be concerned about it being mold unless it has blue/green fuzz growing on top.

Back