Identify potential infection? (with pics!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deam

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers - hoping to get a little help with identifying a white residue at the top of my carboy as either an infectious agent or simply something benign.

The beer is a hefe, left in the primary for 3 weeks (not intentionally, forgot about it whoops!), and then transfered to the secondary a week ago. A few days after transferring to the secondary, I noticed some white pellets floating vertically up and then down, but after doing some research decided this was just yeast clumps.

I left town early Saturday morning and just got back today to see the images below. So the beer went from a clear surface to this in around 4 days. Unfortunately this means I also can't verify whether it started out as isolated, rounded spores and then spread.

Close examination, and the bubbles present throughout the white medium, make me skeptical as to whether or not this is actually an infection, but I haven't been able to find a plethora of pictures through my searches to compare it to. So lets let the experts weigh in, please and thank you!

p.s. now that I've stared at the carboy at length, and reviewed the pictures as well, I'm thinking more and more that I'm just being paranoid. Or maybe I'm just hedging :cross:

I think when you transferred, you woke the yeast up, and you're seeing some CO2 bubbles. Looks normal to me.

A 3 week primary then a secondary for a hefe? Bottle it up and drink it ASAP! They're best young :mug:

Back