Ideas for removing a stripped nut from a post?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered somewhere already, but I've recently come into the possession (thanks to a less-than-scrupulous eBay seller) of a ball lock corny with a post that I can't for the life of me get off.

It looks like a formerly hexagonal bolt has been stripped of its edges, making it impossible to get a grip on with a wrench. See photos here:

http://imgur.com/a/8I9uD

Has anyone else encountered this before?

(The seller is insisting that I shouldn't have any need to remove the post, but since the keg was previously used for soda and not reconditioned, I'm assuming I need to replace the o-rings, clean, sanitize, etc....)

Pliers, vice grips, or channel locks. Hot water may help...last resort try putting a plumbers torch on it gently. Could be locked on with 20 years of soda syrup.

If that fails....grinder w/ cut off wheel?

Small Pipe wrench and rendered Cheese oil/Grease kinda like wd 40 but food safe
Veg oil is to thick! Its cheaper to nuke some Cheddar than bye this

I usually cut a square with a grinder for a pipe wrench to be able to grab. If it is a small bolt cut a line for a flat head screw driver that you can add a wrench to.

If your not trying to save this piece meaning if it is destroyed but you only want it removed, try tapping on it with a ball peen hammer. You don't want to use a claw hammer because it can chip/break. Then go for vise grips or even a pipe wrench if you can get at it. I'm a mechanic myself and those are some tricks me and others use to remove stubborn stuff before having to resort to torches.

grind (or file) 2 opposite sides flat, then vise grips or pipe wrench. I also would go for a little heat with a propane torch.

Also, if your socket has flanges for the nut head, try buffing the socket flat so you have all the spans in contact with the nut. Sometimes these flanges will not allow for proper contact especially on slim nuts like that.

good luck !

Black

A 3/4" 1/2"drive stud extractor has never failed to remove a post. the post will need to be replaced though.

Back