Ideas for my beer label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReefkprZ

Reaction score
first thoughts for my label, and before you ask yes that's my dog.

whatcha think?

beerlable.jpg

First off, I am afraid I am not a dog person. That being said, I think to soften it a bit you might want to round the corners and maybe add a thin double-line border.

B

why be afraid? thanks for the feedback. t^

I re did the design a bit, looking into maybe going straight line art with my dog. but the draw back is I found out today there is already a blue tongue brewery in Oz. which could be a set back. I dont want to get sued or anything. so I may go with a different name.

Your photo and text should be a little more unified. Right now it's just a picture, with text on all four sides. It's simple, which what you may be going for, but it's screaming for excitement. The name alone (Blue Tongue Brewery) screams for weird wacky imaging. Dog photo is brilliant, but it could be a photo of a more excited dog. If your name is instead Dreary Dog Brewery or something, then the brewery name and photo would go together. What I made here is simply to jog your mind:

Blizzard.jpg

LOL I only have mouse paint, and I'm not very experienced with it so I went super simple and figured I could get some one like you (gregger) to to jazz it around a bit.

and its just a first draft. I'm not even sure I can use blue tongue since its a registered brewery in australia. anyhow thanks for spicing that up a bit my wife loves it. :mug:

Whatever it is, use a photo of your dog. Perhaps even use his/her name in the brewery! Use an adjective that describes your dog and pair it many different ways with the name, find synonyms, etc... Say your dogs name is Spike and he's a goofy dog...

Goofy Spike's Brewery
Goof Dog Homebrew
Silly Mutt Brewery
Stoopid4Spike Brewery
Wrinkled Dog Brewery
Pickled Spike Brewery
Screwy Spike's Brewery
Meddling Dog Brewery
Wet Tongue Brewery
Dog Mugg Brewery

Then...
Step 1: Take a photo of him being goofy or said adjective
Step 2: Place photo and brewery name on label
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

As a former sharpei owner ( I had a dark brown one ) I love it! I hear you on the name thing though, I was thinking of Payette River Brewing for a brewery name but I too found that there is a small brewery starting here in Idaho with the name Payette Brewing. I am currently rethinking names as well. Even if you change your brewery name leave the mutt in there!

LOL I only have mouse paint, and I'm not very experienced with it so I went super simple and figured I could get some one like you (gregger) to to jazz it around a bit.

and its just a first draft. I'm not even sure I can use blue tongue since its a registered brewery in australia. anyhow thanks for spicing that up a bit my wife loves it. :mug:

You can use it without much problem.

1. Your living in the USA.
2. Its purely for your own fun, you're not gonna be selling it commercially under that name.

Don't worry - you won't be sued for using it on your homebrew.

I don't know how comfortable you are with your image software, but an easy/obvious logo idea would be to have a blue tongue coming out of the "O" - maybe licking at "BREW".

For the label, what if you just blow the image up and type over the top of it at 30% opacity? Or tint the image blue? That's an easy way to create visual interest and not have to worry about dead space. For the sides, I'd probably run the type on its side so you can stretch it out. Also - you can get free, private use fonts at dafont.com - something to match the subtle humor of a sharpei and the name of the brew might be nice. I'd also showcase the brew name and put the description underneath.

That said - don't get too worried. It's YOUR beer, after all. The only person that needs to like it is you! (and maybe swmbo... :) )

Actually I think I came up with a better name. and I googled it, its not a google findable brewery, so I shall use it.

Muddled Pup Brewhaus
I was thinking "Three Sotted Dogs Brewhaus" since I have 3 shar-pais but I am sure there are too many people that would think I meant to say spotted, not having a clue what sotted means. LOL

Back