Ideas for IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of IPAs recently and I've got my technique for recipe formulation pretty dialed in to suit my tastes. I like to limit the crystal malt, mash low, and add some simple sugar to dry it out as much as I can. I also like massive late additions and hopstand the thing to bring out the hops as much as possible.

This is what I'm planning on brewing this weekend. It's a re-tooled version of the last Rye IPA I did but switched out the hop bill to test this one I got 8oz of (you are reading that right, its not amarillo). The combination of Conan with the Rye plays really nicely since both give the beer a silky body.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any special ingredients or tricks they personally have to make their IPAs unique. I wouldnt be looking to make major changes to what I'm doing this weekend, but I'm willing to try something new. Thanks!

8lb 2 row
2lb rye
2 lb flaked rye
10oz munich
8oz golden naked oats
6oz belgian aromatic
1lb cane sugar

mash 148 for 60min / 168 for 10min mashout

@60: 1 oz apollo
@10: 2 oz armadillo
@5: 2 oz armadillo / 1 oz ella
@0: 2 oz armadillo / 1 oz ella
*steep for 30 min before chilling*
@dry 2 oz armadillo

ferment with Conan yeast at mid 60s

well I'll just go ahead with this if no one chimes in by friday evening...

I got nothing for you.

Why a small amount of Munich and the Aromatic? Pretty similar IMO, and the Aromatic will be dominant.

Why the oats. I used to do that, but figured it added to haze, but really didn't do anything to help the beer. I don't use it anymore in IPAs. Could be better off using more malt to get more malt flavor.

I don't know what you do for 0 min hops. I cool the wort down to somewhere between 170 and 180 F (target 175), and then add the hops.

Good luck with those hops. Report back with what you think they do.

You don't mention your water profile. I got the water profile from my city and from the report I noticed I needed 7g of gypsum and 2g of epsom salt to get my dedired hoppy beer profile. That could be one thing to look at, it really made a difference in my ipas.

I've been adding a bit of gypsum blindly to my IPAs since it seemed to work the first time. Whats epsom salt supposed to help balance?

It brings the magnesium up to the range suggested in How to Brew. I think it puts me at 17ppm and over 300ppm sulfate along with the gypsum.

oh, does magnesium work to accentuate the hop compounds like gypsum? I never really wanted to delve too far into water analysis. I don't even measure the amount of water I use in a batch, eyeballing its been working just fine

Well, below is a link to the page in How To Brew.

This is what he mentions about the Magnesium:
This ion behaves very similarly to Calcium in water, but is less efficacious. It also contributes to water hardness. Magnesium is an important yeast nutrient in small amounts (10 -20 ppm), but amounts greater than 50 ppm tend to give a sour-bitter taste to the beer. Levels higher than 125 ppm have a laxative and diuretic affect.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html

I make my ipa's out of 97% Munich 3% carafa2.. Then I put 1.5 oz hallertau at 60 and 0.5 at 0

I ferment it with W34-70.... Ohh wait that's Dunkel... Never mind.

On a serious note this is my IPA:

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
13.5 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 83.1%
1 lb American - Wheat 38 1.8 6.2%
0.75 lb German - Munich Dark 37 15.5 4.6%
0.75 lb American - Victory 34 28 4.6%
0.25 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 40L 34 40 1.5%

16.25 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.75 oz Magnum Pellet 14.7 Boil 60 min 41.2