Ideal times and temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
My first brew (a christmas ale) was kept in a room with AC 24/7 and timing was controlled by traveling (~72F for 2 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in bottle at about 75-80F). I now have a temperature controlled freezer and less time conflicts so need to decide on temperatures and times for fermentation and bottle conditioning. I don't have a hydrometer (yet) so not able to use that as a guide to when fermentation is complete.

My second brew is an Irish Red and currently fermenting at a steady 65-68F (48 hours in so far). I was thinking of leaving it in primary for 3 weeks then bottling and storing the bottles in the low 70s for 3 weeks (although I suspect that as I won't be away this time the first one will be cracked open early!). Does this sound reasonable?

Can I get away with less time at either stage or would it likely have negative effects? My first brew tasted great after only 2 weeks in primary but I've read longer (within reason) is better.

Are my temperatures about right?

I know this is probably one of the most asked questions but from what I have been listening to on podcasts and reading timing will vary depending on the style so if someone wants to take a few minutes to put my mind at rest I'd really appreciate it.

I've been doing my ferments between 62 and 65 for a week and then warming the fermenter to 72 for the next two. The cool start keeps the esters and fusel alcohol to a minimum while the warmer tail end lets the yeast finish without dropping out too early.

You really should get a hydrometer so you will know that your beer finished where it should so you don't bottle with too high of a gravity. Sometime the ferment may stop for a bit and if you bottle then and the ferment takes off again you can have overcarbonation. That might just get you a huge head on your beer or it could even lead to bottle bombs.

Back