ideal refrigerator temp for kegged beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrc64

Reaction score
What's's the ideal frig temp for kegged beer? Also, I assum its fine to put the CO2 tank in fridge? My current temp in the fridge is 40 degrees. I was thinking of bringing up to 45 degrees.

Depends on if you are just using the fridge for beer vs beer and lets say yeast...........and if the beers are ales vs lagers. If just beer and it is an ale I like to keep mine set at 42 degrees. If I have a lager in there too I drop it down to 34 degrees. If I am keeping harvested yeast in with the beer I keep it at the same temp as I would a lager.

I have mine set to 40. I don't know if going up to 45 well be a big deal, but you might start to have some foaming issues if you go to warm.

You can set it at any serving temp you prefer your beers to be, but you will need to adjust your pressure for what carbonation level you want according to this chart. You may also need to adjust the line length to balance this pressure.

Putting the CO2 tank in there is fine, however, it will make your tank gauge in accurate since it is a liquid and cooler liquids take up less volume. That being said, as soon as it comes out of the tank and into the regulator, the pressure will be accurate since it is in a gas form. (someone correct me if im mistaken)

If you're talking about temperature for storage it depends on the style, and your preference. Coors is best when its 40 degrees or less, but a great craft beer may be best around 50 for an Ale.

Putting the CO2 tank in there is fine, however, it will make your tank gauge in accurate since it is a liquid and cooler liquids take up less volume. That being said, as soon as it comes out of the tank and into the regulator, the pressure will be accurate since it is in a gas form. (someone correct me if im mistaken)

You're mistaken. Well actually that's not true, your statement that cooler liquids take up less volume is correct (hence the shrinkage of your batch from boil to pitching, and hydrometer correction).

But that isn't why the pressure gauge will read lower when the tank is in the fridge. The reason is that the vapor pressure of CO2 is lower at lower temperatures, and that is essentially what the primary gauge is measuring (and what makes it useless for anything except determining when your tank is almost completely empty; at that point all the liquid will have evaporated to gas, so the gauge will act like a normal gas gauge).

Edit: To add, you are correct on the last point you made. The pressure in the tank is way higher than in the hose, and the CO2 will be gas when it leaves the secondary regulator, so the pressure will be accurate.

I keep my keezer at 36, but this is only because I have 5ft. lines (that came with the kit and haven't been replaced yet) and I don't want to foam the crap out of my beer. I serve at about 12PSI and let the pint warm up a few minutes before drinking.

No issues with your CO2 in the fridge. As someone once said (I think it was on here):

'what is your CO2 tank fill gauge good for? That's right! Measuring the temperature!'

EDIT: and yes, resumeman is completely correct about the reasoning behind why the primary gauge will read lower at lower temps. Go go science :D

That sounds more reasonable an answer, haha. I had just read that somewhere awhile, and I half didn't believe it since I couldn't imagine the pressure dropping THAT much just from liquid contraction.

:mug:

You're mistaken. Well actually that's not true, your statement that cooler liquids take up less volume is correct (hence the shrinkage of your batch from boil to pitching, and hydrometer correction).

But that isn't why the pressure gauge will read lower when the tank is in the fridge. The reason is that the vapor pressure of CO2 is lower at lower temperatures, and that is essentially what the primary gauge is measuring (and what makes it useless for anything except determining when your tank is almost completely empty; at that point all the liquid will have evaporated to gas, so the gauge will act like a normal gas gauge).

Edit: To add, you are correct on the last point you made. The pressure in the tank is way higher than in the hose, and the CO2 will be gas when it leaves the secondary regulator, so the pressure will be accurate.

Back