Ideal port placement for 15 gallon boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xinunix

Reaction score
I am planning to do a custom build of a Spike 15 gallon kettle that will be used as a boil kettle. I plan to have 2 horizontal ports at 1.5 inches one for drain, one for temperature gauge. I also plan to put a second port for wort recirculation during chilling at 6 inches aligned above the drain port (all on front of kettle).

Given that I plan to do some 5 gallon batches with this 15 gallon pot, I want to be sure the temp probe will be in the wort at lower volumes, is 1.5 inches a good spot for the temp probe or should I go up to like 4 inches (plan to use King Cobra chiller in this pot). For the whirlpool/recirc port, is 6 inches good or should I go a little lower as well to make sure it is in on 5 gallon batches? How about vertical alignment of the two ports that will have valves on them, is that recommended or should it be avoided? Any other ports/configurations I should consider for an ideal 15 gallon brew kettle?

Thanks in advance!

Spike website says that on their 15gal kettle, the port that is 6” up is on the 5 gallon mark.

I’d place the thermometer as high as you could in that 5 gallon batch to keep it away from the fire.
Seems like a good place for the whirlpool too.

I’d assume your “5 gallon” batches will actually be 5.5 gallons to account for fermenter loss.
And you’ll lose about 0.375 gallons to the kettle that won’t come out the dip tube.
So you’ll have almost 6 gallons in there at a minimum.

Agreed, put five gallons of water in the kettle and find the highest spot to mount the thermometer.
Also, don't get crazy about locating fixtures near the bottom lest you find they're actually too low.
That's what dip tubes are for...

Cheers!

I must have totally overlooked that info on their site, thanks! I was pulling from a spec that I was working on a year ago with them and they had it at 1.5 inches but that may be b/c that is what I asked them for not knowing what I was really asking but getting it away from the heat source makes total sense.

Back