ideal long term storage temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
I've got a spare room in the basement, about 8' x 15' x 8'. I'm thinking about getting a cheap window unit and temp controller to keep the room at a suitable temp for storing beer. Obviously, it's a pretty big room to be keeping cold, so I want to keep it as cold as I need and no colder. I live in Colorado, where the room peaks at about 66 in the summer and can stay in the low 50's in the winter, so it shouldn't be too costly in terms of energy to keep it as cool as 35.

I've always lagered and stored what beer I have space for at 39F because that's where water is its densest. I'd like a more correct/technical answer to that question, though... What's the ideal temp for aging beer (generally post-lagering)? Any sources are particularly appreciated.

Also, do I need to be picky about my air conditioning unit such that it will cool that low? I worry that many would have an internal thermostat that wouldn't want to go below something like 60F.

Thanks!

I like 40F and is what I keep my walk in set at... I have no scientific proof to show that this is better than any other temp, but its what I use. For AC cooling below 60F, check out a cool bot, its an easy yet slightly pricy way to override the AC thermostat without losing the warranty. If you seriously want to keep an 8x15 room that cold you are going to need to insulate it very well or it won't be very efficient.

Back