Idea to simplify AG brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albertk

Reaction score
OK..so I has an idea.. probably 100 of you had it before me...I have one of those round, 2ft tall 3 gal. coolers with a lid...can I heat water to strike temp, pour into cooler, add grain in bag and cover...wait specified mash time, pull grain bag, drain cooler to a boil pot. put grain bag back in cooler, fill with 170 degree sparge water, steep for some time, stirring occasionally. pour sparge wort into boil pot with mash wart, boil, add hops etc...cool pot, pitch yeast, rack into carboy, and call her done? seems to simple...but total thermal stability :) Plastic taste an issue?

I made a mash tun out of a 10 gal cooler as many have here on the forums and it works perfect. You just need to batch sparge and youre golden :)

Should work just fine. Most of mash using a cooler as it is. The only difference is that we use a manifold or false bottom. Plastic taste shouldn't be an issue at all. You just seem to want to combine BIAB with regular ole mashing.

If the grain is in a bag, why would you pull it out of the cooler? The bag is separating the liquid from hose/spout run off right? Sounds like the "Brew in a Bag" system to me

If the grain is in a bag, why would you pull it out of the cooler? The bag is separating the liquid from hose/spout run off right? Sounds like the "Brew in a Bag" system to me

^^^ This. Plus, I'm failing to understand how it would be any faster than doing the same process without the bag if you're already in a cooler.

Rev.

fair questions...
answers..I have no spout at the bottom of the cooler. it is a bit weird, but new and free!!!! I guess I could add one, but the cooler fits my 3 gal corney with an ice blanket so nicely I hate to srew it up...This cooler would have a dual personality :) keg transporter/cooler and mash tun/sparge vessel
I do not have a false bottom, I do have a bag..I also have a wife who eyeballs these types of expenses...i got an earful for my 14.00 grain bill for the stout yesterday
I guess I could use my auto racking cane to get the wort off, and refill with sparge water...am I over thinking all this?

I also have a wife who eyeballs these types of expenses...i got an earful for my 14.00 grain bill for the stout yesterday

This part we can't help you with, you're going to have to rectify this yourself. Unless you're both unemployed and risking eviction $14 should not be something you are chewed out about :drunk:

Rev.

This part we can't help you with, you're going to have to rectify this yourself. Unless you're both unemployed and risking eviction $14 should not be something you are chewed out about :drunk:

Rev.

^ what he said...

Sounds like someone needs to lighten up and allow you to enjoy yourself...

Aside from that, what you said sounds like it will work just fine...

The only problem is see is that a 3 gallon cooler is not very big. You are either going to have very low gravity brews, or very small batches.

I think I would just do BIAB in your kettle, then maybe use the cooler for a sparge if you wanted to rinse out a little more from the grain, and you don't have another large pot.
What is the actual capacity of the cooler? I use a cooler with no hole. I use a manifold and siphon up over the top. If your cooler is large enough, just build a manifold and go over the top, then do a normal mash.

Actually I was just thinking through this also, kind of a BSIAB Batch Sparge In A Bag. Almost started a thread about it to see if I was crazy...

I was thinking about doing it for larger gravity brews.

I have a 10 gallon cooler with a SS braid and can do max 26# grainbills that hardly fit. But if I took out the braid and just used a large bag inside of my tun I could grind my grain to a pulp like some BIABers do to both increase efficiency (requiring me to use less grain to get the same gravity) AND because the grain is ground smaller it would take up less space and I could fit more in there.

Am I crazy to think I would get those 2 benefits? What am I overlooking?

maybe we're both crazy, because I am liking that idea! a drop in manifold!! and I have tons of copper pipe and pvc laying around to boot. I was mistaken about the cooler size. not sure what I was thinking...it fits my 3gal corney...not 3 gal itself...it hold 7.5 gals or so of liquid..it actually fits the corney, tap, portable co2 injector and ice.

anyway, I think I may do a mock up of your batch sparger idea and post some pics for review and comments...

Albert, to simplify; yes, it should work fine how you explained with no added expense. Adds a little time, but if money is a problem but time isn't then there you go.

I would like to hear how your brew day goes when you try this. What you would change, or what worked well.

will do! I will be doing Surly Bender this weekind! Stocking up for my birthday at the end of April
Apfelwein-3gal
Smooth Oatmeal Stout 2.75gal
Hous Pale Ale 2.75 gal
Surly Bender 5.5 gal
Yes...everyone lives in walking (stumbling) distance :)

I've never truly understood willingly putting yourself in an unpleasant situation. If you're not happy, the hobby isn't going to dull the pain dude. Especially since, everything else being free, the grain isn't going to be.

BYO wrote an article on this very same process but in a partial mash system. http://***********/component/resource/article/511-countertop-partial-mashing
It's what I've been doing for my transition to complete all grain.

Back