Idea for a wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ooglassoo

Reaction score
I have an idea I wanted to run past you guys and see what you think. I want to take copper tubbing (20' of 5/8) put it into a cool and drill one hole in high in the side for hot in and one low for cool out. Put high temp silicone tube in and out and put sanitary fittings on the ends. Connect the hot in to the kettles ball valve and the cool out to my pump. Fill cooler with ice and water open valve turn pump on put hose after pump in the top of kettle and circulate wort till chilled. Let me know what you guys think, is there something im not thinking of?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Streamline-5-8-in-x-20-ft-Copper-Soft-Type-L-Coil-LSC4020PS/202287115#.UkwsoxZ8s0M

Sounds very similar to a CFC, however, with an ice bath rather than a counter flowing hose. You may be able to run off directly to a fermenter if you slow the pump to the proper speed and maintain the ice bath while pumping through.

IMO: This sounds expensive and a waste for the benefit. Have you thought about just using the copper as an immersion chiller and your pump as a recirculation/whirlpool to move the wort across the chiller coils inside the boil kettle?

I currently have an immersion chiller, thats the copper I tubbing I was going to use. The immersion chiller doesn't chill as fast as I would like it to. Thats why I would like to run the hot wort through a cold bath. The thing is, is it safe to run the hot wort thru the copper? Do I have to worry about releasing any toxins at all?

I'd just make a recirc arm for your current chiller and whirlpool with your pump.

I'd just use the money your going to spend on an ice chest, fittings, and all that ice and get yourself a good plate chiller. I've racked by brain around all the options and ways for chilling wort as fast as possible, and now I've just decided to save some dough and get a really good plate chiller and be done with it. Check out Duda. Great products.

You lost me on your initial post.
As stated, sounds like you want to make a counterflow chiller.

Do a search in this forum.........Plenty of examples!

You can set it up to do your initial chilling with tap water, and when you reach an "equilibrium" on your temps, switch over to pumping chilled water with a pond pump or the like, to finish chilling your wort.

Now, since you are starting out with 5/8 tubing, it will narrow your choices for a garden hose to build your chiller.

However, there are hot water compatible hose materials available galore.

Think automotive heater hose,of which the largest is usually 3/4 inch, and that may be too tight still for your 5/8 tubing.

Look here for some ideas:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber/=orkty9

But you'll prolly' come out cheaper at the auto parts store, they'll just have to look in the catalog for the I.D. that you need, and then buy it by the foot.

The easiest way I've found is to run tap water through your imerssion chiller until the wort gets down to about 115 °F. Then recirculate ice water to get down to pitching temp. The only extra investment you will need is a submersible pump which you can get at Harbor freight for fairly cheap. Just take a 5 gallon bucket and dump 20 pounds of ice in it. Fill it with just enough water to submerse the pump and start your recirc through your imerssion chiller. Works great and doesn't take a lot of extra equipment/components.

Latest posts

Back