Idaho 7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for you guys that have used this hop. I’ve been wanting to try and do a small batch SMaSH just using this hop. Does anyone think this is feasible or is it just to potent?

My goal is aiming for a more “west coast” styled IPA. I also want to do the same using mosaic to compare the hops. At this point it sounds like the Idaho7 might not be very drinkable.

I didn’t do SMASH but did single hop. Did not overpower, was great.

10 lb 2 row
2 lb Maris Otter
0.5 lb torrified wheat
0.5 lb flaked oats

1 oz Idaho 7 at 60
3 oz Idaho 7 at whirlpool 180 for 20 min
2 oz Idaho 7 DH x5 days

OG 1.068, abv 7.1
IBU 74

I finally brewed my Idaho 7 beer this weekend. I was going to do a regular american IPA with chico but came across a Janish post from a few months ago at the last minute where he was raving about it in the whirlpool, so did another NEIPA. 2 row/golden promise/white wheat/idaho 7/denali/conan. The I7 smelled so good when I ripped open the bag, can't wait to try this one.

I finally brewed my Idaho 7 beer this weekend. I was going to do a regular american IPA with chico but came across a Janish post from a few months ago at the last minute where he was raving about it in the whirlpool, so did another NEIPA. 2 row/golden promise/white wheat/idaho 7/denali/conan. The I7 smelled so good when I ripped open the bag, can't wait to try this one.

I like the Golden Promise. Adds a nice mellow sweetness that works to round out NEIPA.

Got 1st place in NEIPA in a local competition with this recipe, I'm a huge fan of Idaho 7 now!

6.25 lb 2 row
6.25 lb Golden Promise
3 lb Flaked Oats
0.75 lb Wheat
0.3 lb Crystal 15

0.75 oz CTZ 60 min
2 oz Citra whirlpool
2 oz Mosaic whirlpool
2 oz Idaho 7 whirlpool
2.25 oz Citra dry hop
2.25 oz Mosaic dry hop
2.25 oz Idaho 7 dry hop

Imperial Juice (gen 1)

Got 1st place in NEIPA in a local competition with this recipe, I'm a huge fan of Idaho 7 now!

6.25 lb 2 row
6.25 lb Golden Promise
3 lb Flaked Oats
0.75 lb Wheat
0.3 lb Crystal 15

0.75 oz CTZ 60 min
2 oz Citra whirlpool
2 oz Mosaic whirlpool
2 oz Idaho 7 whirlpool
2.25 oz Citra dry hop
2.25 oz Mosaic dry hop
2.25 oz Idaho 7 dry hop

Imperial Juice (gen 1)

Hop madness! Dig it. How would you describe it? Also how much rice hulls you use. I usually go one pound but that’s more oats than I’ve ever used

Hop madness! Dig it. How would you describe it? Also how much rice hulls you use. I usually go one pound but that’s more oats than I’ve ever used

Pretty similar to the Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy combo if you've used that. Lots of pineapple, mango and grapefruit. The Idaho 7 added a distinct pine note and also created a very pungent flavor/aroma without any of the earthiness that I've gotten from Galaxy.

No rice hulls and no problem sparging.

Pretty similar to the Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy combo if you've used that. Lots of pineapple, mango and grapefruit. The Idaho 7 added a distinct pine note and also created a very pungent flavor/aroma without any of the earthiness that I've gotten from Galaxy.

No rice hulls and no problem sparging.

Cool, I’m doing that soon then. Appreciate you posting it. And since I can’t readily get galaxy here that’s doubly good

I started drinking my Idaho 7-Denali beer. I'm trying to be more patient with my beers letting them condition a bit but it's hard. I guess I need to brew more and build up a larger pipeline.

Anyways, at 8 days in the keg I like it. A lot. This beer is just saturated with piney, resiny flavor, with some fruit in the background. I've made so many fruit bomb NEIPAs lately I wanted something different. I have another beer fermenting right now with Idaho 7/Amarillo/Nugget. I'm a fan

Dinally made the two SMaSH session IPAs. One utilizing Idaho7 and the other Mosaic. Both are really good, but the Idaho7 packs more punch with darker, earthier flavors compared to the bright tropical flavors of the mosaic.
I definitely get the black tea and piney flavors from it. The citrus notes hit on the back end. Its good in its own right but I can see why its so popular as an add on to other hops. Definitely adding it to the growing list of hops to keep in the mix.

Yeah, I got a little of the black tea thing too. I liked the strong, unique flavor but I wasn't sure if it was a little much but I had some neighbors over one night and they loved it, more than the other one I had on tap that was a fruiter hazy. I have one carbing up now that's Idaho 7, Amarillo and Nugget in a 2:2:1 ratio.

Just did a Hazy Pale ale with Idaho 7 and Amarillo. Interested to see how it came out once i kegged. I had a stuck mash with super low flow during recirculation that i couldn't get to unclog due to me trying a much finer crush, so i ended up with a low mash temperature that never recovered, so it finished dry at 1.006. Sample from the fermenter tastes good. Hazy, has a good dryhop flavor, but we shall see once its kegged and carbonated

75% 2-row
25% Flaked Oats
Target mash temp of 155, ended up at 147 due to the stuck mash

.5oz Warrior at 60
2oz Idaho 7 & 2oz Amarillo at 150 degree whirlpool for 20 minutes

US04 Dry Yeast fermented at 63 degrees for 5 days, then increased to 72 to clean up and finish to FG

Dryhopped 1oz Idaho 7 and 1oz Amarillo at day 3, and then 2oz Idaho 7 and 1oz of Amarillo at Day 7. Kegging it at day 10

OG 1.050, FG 1.006, 5.75% abv

Just did a Hazy Pale ale with Idaho 7 and Amarillo. Interested to see how it came out once i kegged. I had a stuck mash with super low flow during recirculation that i couldn't get to unclog due to me trying a much finer crush, so i ended up with a low mash temperature that never recovered, so it finished dry at 1.006. Sample from the fermenter tastes good. Hazy, has a good dryhop flavor, but we shall see once its kegged and carbonated

75% 2-row
25% Flaked Oats
Target mash temp of 155, ended up at 147 due to the stuck mash

.5oz Warrior at 60
2oz Idaho 7 & 2oz Amarillo at 150 degree whirlpool for 20 minutes

US04 Dry Yeast fermented at 63 degrees for 5 days, then increased to 72 to clean up and finish to FG

Dryhopped 1oz Idaho 7 and 1oz Amarillo at day 3, and then 2oz Idaho 7 and 1oz of Amarillo at Day 7. Kegging it at day 10

OG 1.050, FG 1.006, 5.75% abv

Kegging on day 10 do you get a lot of yeast in your keg? I’m assuming for a hazy you don’t dry hop

Session IPAs and Hazy neipas can easily be turned around in 10 days. The yeast for this style blows through the sugars super fast, and then a cold crash cleans everything up

Finally did a smash with Idaho 7. Don’t love it - kind of earthy/green tea on its own. Think it’s more of a supporting actor than a lead role

Finally did a smash with Idaho 7. Don’t love it - kind of earthy/green tea on its own. Think it’s more of a supporting actor than a lead role

Feel the same. As its aged a bit though, the things I didnt like about it have aged out leaving a nice beer. Certainly not a rockstar IMO.

I've used this in 2 beers so far: a reddish-brown IPA with citra, and an amber IPA with amarillo and an exp. hop similar to cascade. Like the 2nd one more (still on draft). 2 people picked up on the tea aspect, but it is eluding me, despite the fact I drink a lot of tea. I get more of a subdued orange-citrus fruitiness. Also had more of a solid malt backbone in the amber and I think that helps to support it as well.

I've used this in 2 beers so far: a reddish-brown IPA with citra, and an amber IPA with amarillo and an exp. hop similar to cascade. Like the 2nd one more (still on draft). 2 people picked up on the tea aspect, but it is eluding me, despite the fact I drink a lot of tea. I get more of a subdued orange-citrus fruitiness. Also had more of a solid malt backbone in the amber and I think that helps to support it as well.

I don't drink a lot of tea, but I started to pick it up(I think) after drinking the beer for a bit. At first I just tasted heavy pine/light fruit but the more I drank it I started to think it was actually more tea-like than pine. I think my ability to pick out and describe flavors in beer still sucks though.

I had some neighbors come over and love the beer but I agree with others this could be a great supporting character. I made a NEIPA awhile back with 3 New Zealand hops, all low AA. It was really good, fruity, but very soft/mild fruit and I felt like it needed something more aggressive mixed in and this Idaho 7 might be perfect.

Amber was fantastic. A keeper batch for sure.

For me, I don't drink a lot of tea. Maybe a chance that is why i taste it with Idaho 7.

I just kicked a keg of Citra/Mosaic/Idaho 7 NEIPA and here are my impressions:

• Idaho 7 is POTENT. This beer took almost a week longer in the keg to mellow out and hit its stride. I would advise against using Idaho 7 as more than one third of your hop bill, probably better as a dry hop than whirlpool. Basically I'd treat it like Galaxy
  • For flavor, my NEIPA wasn't drastically different than my typical Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy combo, but there is definitely a pine characteristic that I'm getting specifically from Idaho 7. I like it a lot, it works really well with the tropical fruit in Citra/Mosaic and I think Idaho 7 is contributing some tropical fruit as well. Works very well in a NEIPA, but I would be more inclined to use it in a west coast IPA next time.
Hi! For a hop forward Neipa, what hop schedule would you propose using citra. Mosaic and idaho 7?

many thanks!

Hi! For a hop forward Neipa, what hop schedule would you propose using citra. Mosaic and idaho 7?

many thanks!

I would do something like this personally...

4 oz Citra whirlpool
2 oz Mosaic whirlpool
4 oz Citra dry hop
2 oz Mosaic dry hop
2 oz Idaho 7 dry hop

I know others, including Scott Janish, recommend Idaho 7 in the whirlpool but that didn't work great for me the one time I tried it. I would go heavier on the Citra to brighten things up since Idaho 7 is a little intense, and only use a bit of Idaho 7 in the dry hop so it doesn't overwhelm.

Tha k yoo for this much appr
I would do something like this personally...

4 oz Citra whirlpool
2 oz Mosaic whirlpool
4 oz Citra dry hop
2 oz Mosaic dry hop
2 oz Idaho 7 dry hop

I know others, including Scott Janish, recommend Idaho 7 in the whirlpool but that didn't work great for me the one time I tried it. I would go heavier on the Citra to brighten things up since Idaho 7 is a little intense, and only use a bit of Idaho 7 in the dry hop so it doesn't overwhelm.
Thank you for this! Much appreciated

Idaho7 has the highest amount of compounds that will survive fermentation, Mosaic is second... Citra is 4th.

Personally I’d go 3:2:1 I7:Mo:Cit in the WP. I actually like a bit of Citra at the end of the boil too.

DH i’d flip the ratio. Lighter on the I7, heavier on the Citra.

Idaho7 has the highest amount of compounds that will survive fermentation, Mosaic is second... Citra is 4th.

Personally I’d go 3:2:1 I7:Mo:Cit in the WP. I actually like a bit of Citra at the end of the boil too.

DH i’d flip the ratio. Lighter on the I7, heavier on the Citra.
Thank you for this! Will give ot a shot as well!

Back