Ice packs w shipping yeast.... not necessary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So ordering from Austin HB, they did not have any options for adding insulation or ice (i think they used to).... Always see that on other websites. Anyways I emailed them asking if they provided them... see attached.

Not disagreeing. I wanted to get other thoughts on this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220925_213324.jpg
    Screenshot_20220925_213324.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
🤣 and you thought my typing was bad! ;) :mug: sounds like a message from alibaba?

(thinking about it though, could be true? depending on how cold the ice pack is and if the yeast can handle cold crashing, before the pitch? but repitching after cold crashing works?)

I've always wondered if including an ice pack provides any real benefits.
Chances are the pack has already melted in the warehouse by the time the shipper picks up, definitely after 6-12 hours, unless ambient temps of the package are below 32F. A bubble envelope won't change much.

After that, it's just a heat sink, it helps stabilize temps somewhat while in transit.

melted in the warehouse by the time the shipper picks up, definitely after 6-12 hours,

don't they use the blue ice stuff that stays frozen longer or something?

https://www.amazon.com/Kona-Coolers-Extreme-Lasting-Absorbs/dp/B09SNW6DX9?th=1
"Each freezer pack typically lasts between 24-48 hours."?

but honestly, not sure what a trip at 80-85f, would do that something that's used just below 70f? if anything i've heard it's best to let them warm up to room temp before pitching anyway?

Last edited:
but honestly, not sure what a trip at 80-85f, would do that something that's used just below 70f? if anything i've heard it's best to let them warm up to room temp before pitching anyway?

I'd call it warming from refrigerator temps to pitching temps. If it's 80 in the house and you want to ferment at 67 I don't think I'd let it get to room temp. Well, it's certainly not needed.

High temps kill yeast. It's a time / intensity thing. The longer they're warmer than desired or the hotter, or both, the more that dies off. Generally speaking it's just something to avoid if you can.

It's also an excuse to try dried yeast if you don't usually.

I normally use/order dried yeast. I don't have a local shop within 2 hours. I ordered liquid Kveik (voss) i know they like being hot but during fermentation... not shipping lol.

I don't have a local shop within 2 hours.

unless they have it shipped to THEM in refrigerated trucks?

(damn, i found a good joke for this, apparently schwann's is know as a pioneer in yeast! lol :mug: maybe start selling yeast frozen in glycol? it used to be dry, then liquid, why not frozen? liquid yeast used to come in a vial anyway, in the way way back time...)

I think twice I have received liquid yeast where the ice pack was noticeably cooler but I also bought a mailer. The pack could have cooled overnight, I don't remember the specifics. I try to buy three or four at a time to split the cost of the ice pack. I check the weather as well, no point ordering in a heat wave. Some places hold them too until Monday to mail so they don't sit over the weekend in the truck plus I kind of expect that if they do that they are taking the effort to send it out still cold. I don't worry about it too much during the spring and fall if it is cool nor the winter.

I actually save the packs for a while too and I end up using them to cool my starters down since my ice maker broke.

unless they have it shipped to THEM in refrigerated trucks?
I used to own a homebrew shop years ago. Both Wyeast and White Labs ship in styrofoam containers with multple ice packs. Like you get if you ever ordered Omaha Steaks.

If you order it online I’d say it depends on the time of year. Summertime when its 85 or 90 degrees outside, you either get the ice pack or you don’t order liquid yeast in the summer. The shop i get it from is over a 2 hour drive but its close enough that when they ship I get it the next day. So the pack does make a difference. If I’m ordering in Jan here then I probably don’t need it,

Far as an ice pack doing more harm than good, I’m skeptical of that claim.

I normally use/order dried yeast. I don't have a local shop within 2 hours. I ordered liquid Kveik (voss) i know they like being hot but during fermentation... not shipping lol.
Still don't know if your original question was concerning liquid yeast or not. However I live where the summer time temps have until recently been in the very high 95 - 98°F range. And I'm pretty sure the black mailbox sitting in the full sun gets much hotter during the time between delivery and when I retrieve my mail. I've not had any issue with any of the dry yeasts I've used. They'll survive brief temperature deviations apparently.

I recently ordered 6 White Labs yeast packets from Williams brewing. Included the "insurance" packing with blue ice packs in the order. Shipping from Williams to me takes 2 days. When I pulled the package from my mailbox, it was 115*F outside (it gets hot here!), seemed hotter inside the mailbox. Stuck the ice packs with Thermapen on receipt: 88*F. Some of this yeast is bubbling away in my fermenter now. At this time of year, the "insurance" was worth it to me. I don't use the ice packs at cooler times of the year.

Edit: I'll add that the shipping box had styrofoam all around, which I'm sure helps a lot. It's not the ice pack alone, but the combination.

Last edited:
Still don't know if your original question was concerning liquid yeast or not. However I live where the summer time temps have until recently been in the very high 95 - 98°F range. And I'm pretty sure the black mailbox sitting in the full sun gets much hotter during the time between delivery and when I retrieve my mail. I've not had any issue with any of the dry yeasts I've used. They'll survive brief temperature deviations apparently.
Yes liquid yeast.... Do people order dry yeast with ice packs/insulation? Never even thought about that tbh

Dry yeast does not have the shelf life issue. Last time I ordered dry I did it in December and bought 6 or so. Usually has a date over a year away, and if you keep it in the fridge... I know I have used dry over two years past expiration without a problem.

Back