Ice cider??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamatuna

Reaction score
Hey all

so i have been reading up alot about ice cider which is the process of freezing the juice, concentrating the juice AND FLAVOUR!

you can use a low alcohol tolerant yeast and obtain something somewhat of an ice wine flavour from it.

just wanted to know if anyone has any expeirience with this and if so what did you conclude?

Doesn't that come in paper cans in the "frozen juice" section? ;)

All joking aside, that sounds like an awesome (and infinitely more legal) way of making what would be hard cider's answer to ice wine and eisbock. Could be on to something here!

I took a cider buying trip through Quebec last Fall and came home with cases of it. We bought a lot of late harvest still ciders and a fair bit of traditional ice cider as well. I can't tell you too much about the process of making it though I recall from our tours that it takes a lot of apples to make a small bottle of ice cider, and the process of freezing was quite finicky.

This was the best stuff we purchased:
http://www.cidredeglace.com/index_en.html

I have frozen cider prefermentation a number of times. I think it's a great idea and am surprised more people don't do it. It doesn't have to be just for making ice cider. If you are using supermarket apple juice, I wouldn't bother freezing it, since you can get the same effect by using frozen concentrate. I think freezing makes sense for farm pressed apple cider.

The freezing concentrates the apple flavor, the sugars, and the mailc acid. Concentrating apple flavor is obviously a good thing. Malic acid is lacking in most cider and juice, so concentrating it can be helpful, especially in sweet ciders, such as ice cider. The acid balances the sweetness. Many people add sugar to their cider to increase the OG, but sugar adds little else. Concentrating the cider through freezing has the same effect, but has the benefit of increasing apple flavor.

I've tried a number of different methods. I started out by partially freezing the cider and then skimming off the ice crystals. The problem with that method is that the ice crystals need to drain for a long time or you'll be throwing away more than just water. It is labor intensive doing it this way. The best (and easiest) method I've found is to freeze the cider solid. It takes a while to melt, but there is minimal work involved. Similar to sparging grain, as the ice melts, the first runnings are the highest gravity and the gravity gets lower as it melts. I recently froze some asian pear cider. It started around 12 Brix (1.048). After it melted for a while, I checked the gravity of the melted cider and it was off the scale of my refractometer, which goes up to 32 Brix (1.125). As more cider melts, the gravity of the melted cider drops. When the melted cider gets near my target gravity, I empty the container. That cider is where I want it to be, so I put it in the fridge and it's done. I continue to let the ice melt till I don't think the ice is much more than water. These "second runnings" go back in the freezer to be frozen again. Gauging when to stop collecting the melted ice can be tricky. When the ice turns mostly white is one indicator. Measuring the gravity of the liquid dripping from the ice with a refractometer is probably the best method. After I stop collecting melted cider, I let the rest of the ice melt. That way I can check the gravity (before I dump it) to gauge my efficiency. The ice melt I throw away is usually under 2 Brix (less than 1.008).

I usually do larger batches, so I typically use multiple 5 gallon buckets. For smaller batches, you can use plastic gallon jugs. I try not to use milk jugs. I usually use jugs from spring water. Fill them a little less than full (ice expands) and put them in the freezer. When they are frozen solid, take them out, remove the cap, invert them, and place them over a sanitized container to catch the melt. Believe it or not, pint beer glasses work well. Just remember to empty the glass before it overflows. This is also a good way to separate "first runnings" and "second runnings". I've also done it with a bottling bucket. They actually fit in the freezer of a traditional refrigerator with a freezer on top. After freezing the bucket solid, I put it on a milk crate and put a sanitized gallon jug under the valve. When the jug fills up, I cap it, put it in the fridge and put another jug under the valve. I check the gravities of the jugs and refreeze as necessary.

That is fantastic GinKings

i was going to use your first method but after reading it i think im going to go about using the second method :)

Im picking up the cider this weekend and looking to make about 5 gallons, going to pick up 10 or 15 gallons.
IM going to grab about 4 gallons of 1.08 and then concentrate the hell out oft he rest to continue to add to it till it turns sweet:)

Thanks alot :)

All the best

GinKings, great info.

Do you have anything you've consistently been doing with the concentrated cider? I'd love to hear exactly how you are utilizing this cider concentrate. I'm about to have an open carboy soon and am going to use pressed fresh(er) cider vs the treetop from my first batch.

GinKings,......Do you have anything you've consistently been doing with the concentrated cider? I'd love to hear exactly how you are utilizing this cider concentrate....

I think you can do a lot of different things with the concentrated cider (traditional cider, ice cider, etc). The thing I make most often with the concentrated cider is an apple port. It's a fairly sweet after-dinner type drink with plenty of apple flavor. I make it similar to the way a port wine is made from grapes. Grapes have an OG up around 1.090. To make a port wine, the grapes are fermented about halfway. Then, a high proof brandy or grain alcohol is added, which halts fermentation, retains some sweetness, and raises the ABV to about 18%. I wanted to do the same thing with apple cider. My concern was that apple cider has a much lower OG, so it would barely ferment before adding the alcohol. I wanted to raise the OG. The first time I did it, I made two batches. In one batch I raised the OG with sugar. The other batch was frozen to raise the OG. The batch with sugar was good, but the freeze concentrated batch was much, much better.

My basic procedure: I use cider pressed at a cider mill. Cider has an OG around 1.050. I typically freeze concentrate it to 1.090-1.100, but it doesn't have to be that high. After freezing, I add potassium metabisulfite (campden tablets). 24 hours later I pitch yeast. I typically use Cotes de Blanc or D47, since I want a yeast that will stop fermenting when I add the alcohol. I avoid yeast with a higher alcohol tolerance. When the gravity gets down to around 1.045, I add a high proof alcohol, such as Everclear, which is 190 proof to bring it to 18% ABV. You can use a lower proof alcohol, such as vodka or brandy, but you need more of it, so it dilutes the apple profile more than a smaller volume of a higher proof liquor. This kills the yeast, so fermentation stops and you retain sweetness. Sometimes, I add oak cubes in the secondary. I usually bottle after about 6 months. The apple port I made last fall was still a little hot, but was crystal clear and quite good after only 3 months.

The freezing concentrates the apple flavor. It also concentrates the malic acid. The apple port is fairly sweet, so the extra acid helps balance the sweetness, so it's not cloying.

Calculating ABV is pretty easy. The fermenting cider gets approx. 1% ABV for every 7 1/2 point drop in gravity. If it starts at 1.090 and I add the alcohol at 1.045, then the gravity dropped 45 points (90-45=45). A 45 point drop divided by 7 1/2 means that the cider is 6% ABV when the alcohol is added (45/7.5=6). Make sense so far? Figuring out how much alcohol to add isn't hard if you paid attention in high school. It's basically a weighted average.

5 gallons @ 6% ABV + 3/4 gallons Everclear @ 95% = 5 3/4 gallons @ ?% ABV
(5 x 6) + ( 0.75 x 95) = (5.75 x ?)
30 + 71.25 = 5.75 x ?% ABV
101.25 = 5.75 x ?% ABV
101.25 / 5.75 = 17.6% ABV (close enough to 18%)

Hopefully, that makes sense. Using an 80 proof vodka would work, but you'd need over 2 1/2 gallons, so it would dilute the apple flavors more than 3/4 gallon of Everclear.

GinKings, great info.

Do you have anything you've consistently been doing with the concentrated cider? I'd love to hear exactly how you are utilizing this cider concentrate. I'm about to have an open carboy soon and am going to use pressed fresh(er) cider vs the treetop from my first batch.

Try making some applejack with it.

Latest posts

Back