IBU Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masskrug

Reaction score
I can throw 1 oz. of Chinook into the boil for 18 minutes and achieve 25 IBUs

OR

I can scatter it through a 60 minute boil (.333 at 60, .333 at 20, .333 at 7) and achieve the same 25 IBUs.

Will there be a noticeable taste difference between these two recipes? Or can I shave 40 minutes off my (extract) boil by just tossing in 1 oz and boiling for 18 minutes?

Thanks.

Staggering your hops can leave a portion of aroma left over that you might not get with a single bittering addition.
The IBU bittering amount will still be the same mathematically but your perception of the hop flavors and aroma might be different.

Try it and find out.
I like a shorter boil time with a single hop addition because I'm lazy, but don't let that stop you.

You will not notice any difference. The later addition (7 minute) will provide some flavor from the late addition of the hop, but it is so small that I doubt you would notice it. Go for the 20 minute boil, and shave 40 minutes off brew day.

Latest posts

Back