Ibf in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocksideBrew

Reaction score
I removed blowoff hose and was filling airlock with sanitized water and a little bit went down into beer. No more than an ounce or two. Will I be alright? Beer has been fermenting for 72 hrs. Another question. I slid the blow off hose over the center stem of airlock, the hose is 6' long and went up 3' then I hung it off of a clamp and it went back into growler. I saw no activity in growler just heard a bigger gurgle or bubble every now and then. Was there head pressure or just too big or long length hose to see aggressive activity?

Every time I use a blow-off tube it's in the bunghole that the airlock goes into. I don't place the tube into the airlock itself. Unless your airlock's bottom (that goes into the bung's hole) is wide open, you could be restricting the flow from the primary into the blow-off bucket.

I also use a 2 gallon bucket (with at least 2-4 quarts worth of sanitizer in it) for the other end of the tube, making sure that end of the tube is well inside the solution. As long as you don't have any kinks in the tubing, the length doesn't really matter. I don't measure the blow-off tube length, I just use what looks like will be enough to get a gentle arc from the carboy to the bucket. I think it's usually 4-5' of tube.

Depending on how active the fermentation is, will determine how much goes through the tube. I use them especially when I've filled the primary a bit too much, or I'm unsure of how the yeast will start fermenting. I've started using foamcap-s, so I'll probably not need the blow-off tubes nearly as much.

I wouldn't suspend the tube above what it wants to go, for the high end of the arc. Better to have a low, gentle arc than go 3' off the ground with it. Most of the time, the tube (on mine) only goes up another 6-12" above the bung. Having too much height above the carboy could create more flow restriction reducing the effectiveness of the blow-off setup... Although if you have a really active fermentation going, it won't really matter.

I use mixed up StarSan in the bucket for my tubes. I like using that since it will bubble up nicely letting me know, at a glance, that fermentation is active.

As for the ounce, or two, of water going from the airlock into the wort... I wouldn't worry about it at all. I fill mine with filtered water, and have had water run from inside the airlock into the wort/must when filling it too much, or when securing the airlock down better. I just wouldn't let really old water go into the primary/fermenter. Although if the water doesn't look clean (in the airlock) you should be changing it before doing anything else.

My reasoning for length of hose was to keep airlock straight in vertical position. There was nothing in blowoff no krausen or anything. Do you use bucket or carboy for primary?

Not connecting the tube to the airlock means that you don't need to worry about it not being vertical...

I ferment in carboy's and corny kegs. I used the bucket included in my first kit for all of two brews. I plan to never use it again. With how things are going with my first fermenting in a corny, I see myself getting more of those going in the future.

I have a mix of PET and glass carboys. Ranging from 3-6 gallons (3 and 5 gallon glass, 3, 5, and 6 gallon PET/BB) in size. Pusing the tubing into the center hole of the bung makes it very easy. Plus, with it in all the way, the chance of it coming out is so remote it's not even funny. Also far less restriction... Plus it lets me keep the airlocks clean for when I do install them. :D

I usually do 10 gallon batches in 15 gallon minibrew conical so the bucket thing is new to me. I just started kegging as well. Do you mind giving me a run down of your steps for fermenting in corny?

For fermenting in a corny it's brew as usual, adding fermcap-s to the boil.
Either remove the release valve from the lid, or pull the liquid out post and tube, placing a short piece of tubing for an airlock over the post (or in a small bung for the hole in the lid).
Fill the corny as much as you dare (you should be able to fit a little over 5 gallons into it).
Pitch yeast as normal.
Install airlock either into bung in the lid, where the release valve was, or in the short tube connected to the liquid out post.
Ferment as normal.

I have a batch that was started on 2/26 that has been chugging away just fine. We used ~20 drops of fermcap-s at the start of the boil (10 gallon batch, we each took ~5 gallons). I didn't add any more fermcap-s post boil and cool-down. NO foam has gone into the airlock. I do have the airlock in the lid... I'll post up a picture in a moment (just took it with my BBerry)... I wrapped the towel around it to help moderate temperature swings. I did place one of the sticky thermometers on the side of the corny. Just to see what the temp is/was... Planning on letting this one go for 3-4 weeks on the yeast before bottling it up.

CornyPrimary.jpg

So you are going bottle this? I guess if I tried and wanted to do this I would want to auto-siphon from primary corny to another for carbing. Advantage just to have another fermenter?

I bottle right now... No keezer or gas setup... I do plan to eventually be able to keg, but I'll probably always bottle at least part of each batch.

Using the auto-siphon is really easy in a corny. You don't even need to hold it most of the time, since you can get it to rest in a way that it's just staying where you need it.

I used the corny first to oak age an old ale for 5-1/2 weeks. Then I used it as a primary since we brewed this batch at the LHBS... Was far safer, for me, to transport the filled corny keg, than worry about carrying a carboy up the stairs (I live on the second floor of a 2 family house)... Even if I start brewing 10 gallon batches, instead of 5 gallon batches, I like the idea of using 5 gallon primaries.

I was thinking about needing a blow-off tube and such for the corny... Then I saw how they sell kits to convert a corny into a primary, which includes fermcap-s... Got the fermcap-s from the LHBS on brew day and it's been rocking ever since.

Some have posted (about fermcap-s) about needing to add it again post boil, to control foam in primary... Not had any issue over here. I plan to use it on the next brew day too. I'll be using my 6 gallon PET carboy for a ~5 gallon batch (probably 5.25 gallons)... Since it will be fermenting off site, I don't want to have to worry about it needing a blow-off tube and such... I'll be making my starter tomorrow afternoon for that one.

With how much I like to brew, I'd need to have at least two conicals so that I don't run dry... That's a lot of space, and cost, tied up in just two batches... I've been trying to brew every 2 weeks so that I'll never run completely out of homebrew... That was until my LL went all neurotic on me...

Sorry for all the questions. But you are giving good info. Fermcap-s substitute for anything or just keeps krausen down?

Keeps the boil foam to a minimum, as well as foam in primary/fermenting... So, yes, it will reduce the krausen foam in the batch. I don't know how much, exactly, since I've not looked inside my corny yet. I actually don't plan to open it up until it's been on the yeast for at least 3 weeks.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/fermcap-s-foam-inhibitor-1-oz.html

no problemo... Information sharing is why most of us are here after all... :D

Plus, you never know of other methods unless someone posts, or comments, about them...

Back