Iba

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joenads

Reaction score
Looking to brew a Black IPA with the following:

13 lbsPale Malt (2 Row) US
3 lbsCaramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2 lbsMunich Malt
1 lbsCarafa I
1 lbsChocolate Malt
2.00 ozWarrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 ozCascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 ozMagnum [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 ozCascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 ozMagnum [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 ozMagnum [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 ozCascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkgAmerican Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) (actaully plan to pitch on an amber yeast cake that used this yeast)

Just looking for comments.

Is this for 5gal or 10gal? If its for 5, 3# C60 seems really high. I'd cut that to 1.5 lb max. Also, I've never used magnum for anything but bittering (60 min). Is there something you are trying to get by adding it later in the boil?

Whoah! Cut the c60, cut the chocolate at the very least. I like hop flavor-balanced IPAs, so I'd cut even more. You'd be surprised how much flavor carafa adds. I like a standard IPA recipe but with carafa.

its for a 6 gallon batch. im looking for a real roasty Black IPA. This is my first recipe Ive put together, just done a few kits before. i kinda just went blindly into this recipe...

I think you're going to get more astringency than desired. What's your calced IBU? 200+?

its for a 6 gallon batch. im looking for a real roasty Black IPA. This is my first recipe Ive put together, just done a few kits before. i kinda just went blindly into this recipe...

There's a good reason there aren't many roasty hoppy beers out there. The two flavors don't mix very well. I made a black IPA before that was just base malt, c80, and carafa. It was bad. If I made it again I'd use c10, munich, carafa, and base malt.

What if i did this instead:

13 lbsPale Malt (2 Row) US
1.5 lbsCaramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2 lbsMunich Malt
.75 lbsCarafa I
.75 lbsChocolate Malt
2.00 ozMagnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 ozCascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 ozWarrior [15.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 ozCascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 ozWarrior [15.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 ozCascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

I wouldnt use the chocolate with the carafa for this, but maybe Im wrong. 30min hop additions are definitely a waste though. Hop burst with 15min - flameout additions to get all the flavor you want and add some FWH to boost the IBUs if needed. Ive been really into black IPAs and India browns lately...happy brewing.

Personally, for hop additions I'd leave the magnum at 60 min, remove all warrior additions, move 1 oz cascade to 5 min and the other 2 oz cascade to 0 min and whirlpool your kettle for 10 min or so. I'd also remove the carafa and up the chocolate to a full lb.

I wonder what dry hopping with some warrior would give you...

i went with both carafa and chocolate because there is a Stone Escondido clone going around that has both at 4%. i kinda just picked the hops at random though. i'm not opposed to doing the hop additions as you say though, maybe ill dry hop half with the warrior and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back