I Wonder if this is real.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone ever think non alcohol understanding people think alcohol is made like in a laboratory like caffeine is?

i thought caffeine was grown in plants? (mostly)

i guess a person could synthesize it but, i've read a patent for making industrial ethanol also. and with the effort most people put into cleaning and sanitizing 'round here. it practically is a lab environment! ;)

did you tell them it heats up your love-life?

he would have known i was lying! but it would have been funnier! i'll try to remember that one for next time!

(all i did is the nobel thing and explain the force carbing process :()

edit: i did get a kick out of it a year or so ago, when he asked how i make beer though. i knew he wasn't probably actually interested, and instead of laying down a basic extract batch. i explained how i malt the barley, brew with it, and ferment it!
LOL

I thought this when I was like, 12.

I also thought caffeine was plant-derived as well, and not lab synthesized. Same way industrial ethanol is made from fermented and distilled corn (usually), is it not? I imagine both could be synthesized in a lab but nature is probably a combo of cheaper, easier, faster, safer, and/or more reliable.

Most ethanol is made from fermented and distilled corn.

i believe it is...

Rhetorical question.

damn, i'd have to google rhetorical, to find out what it means, ;) lol (but seriously i would, i get the ethene water phosphoric acid is a equilibrium reaction, but all i know of the comment rhetorical question thing...is you didn't expect an answer, lol, i honestly don't know what the word means :mug:)

I think chocolate and coffee have caffeine but they must extract it or synthesize it for stuff like mountain dew. Alcohol seems a lot more natural than most people think. Dang I wrote this when I was drunk and stoned and totally forgot I posted this.

There was a multinational company mixing cheap industrial alcohol with bourbon and coke down hereabouts. They use real bourbon after getting into legal trouble.

Back