I will build your IPA/IIPA (Part 2)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much appreciated! I'll brew it this weekend!

Muntons Extra Light Malt Extract in Hopville is actually the DME product. So don't make the mistake of using LME. Also, Muntons XL DME is 37ppg / 3 L unlike the 43ppg / 5 L Golden Light DME from Briess. Muntons XL DME has a more pure malt flavor and is made from English 2-row. I use it in American IPAs a lot with "Great Success"... as Borat would say. Lol, let me know how the Sacha Baron Cohen worked out for you.

Thanks for the clarification! This is actually going to be my first foray into partial mashing after having done a couple of extract brews. I apologize if this is a little off topic for this thread but I'd appreciate it if you could give me a yay or nay on my plan. I'm going to take the 9.5# of grain in your recipe and mash it in a bag sitting in a 36 quart Coleman cooler I've got sitting around. I figured I'd heat ~ 3.5 gallons of water to about 168 degrees, put it in the cooler, then add my grains. Mash for an hour while monitoring the temp and then drain off my wort. Put my grain bag back in the cooler and add two gallons of 170 degree sparge water and let the grains soak for another 15 minutes. Drain again, add the sparge wort to the mash wort, bring my volume up to 6.5 gallons and carry on just as I would with an extract brew. Sound about right?

The recipe only contain 4 lbs. 12 oz. grain, which can be mashed in your kettle if you choose to. If you want to go the cooler route, that's fine. Partial mashing is less strict than all grain so hitting an exact 152 F for 60 minutes does not matter as much as you think. As long as you're in the 150-152 F ballpark, the DME will take care of the rest. I would shoot for about 1.50 to 1.75 gal water at 160-162 F - When you stir in your grain, it will cool that temp about 10 degrees down to your mash zone. I brew in those nylon mesh paint strainer bags, which makes things a little easier, so after the mash, I'll dip my grain bag several times in plain, clear 167-F ish water, which sort of acts like a sparge. Then, I'll let it drain the bag into a bowl and add the runnings to the kettle later.

Meanwhile, add your "grain wort" you got from the grain to the plain water in another kettle (or from your cooler to your kettle), bring everything to a boil, add half of your DME, plus the bittering hops, and follow the recipe as normal, adding the remainder of the DME late in the boil. If you're mashing in a bag and subsequently dipping the bag in mash out temp water (167-ish), First Wort Hopping may pose some difficulties, so when I do it, I will usually add the hops to the mash in a seperate nylon bag (mash hop). Then carry the hop bag over to the plain water after the mash and boil as usual, adding the boil hops to the bag as needed. Kind of unorthodox, but when BIAB (brew-in-a-bag) indoors using two kettles, it works quite well.

Sorry! The 9.5# was a total brain fart on my part. I was quickly adding up the grain bill and accidentally added in the weight of the DME. That's kind of why I was planning on mashing in a cooler. I didn't think the 9.5# of grain plus water would fit in my 7.5 gallon kettle. But the 4 lbs. 12 oz. should fit nicely. Thanks again for your help and advice! I'm looking forward to taking the next step up before doing all grain.

You could replace them with Galaxy. Matter of fact, they would be a better suit. I'll change it.

I have another question, Bob. I couldn't get a hold of the Rakau, so I went ahead and ordered Pacific Hallertau instead. Can you think of a better substitute? Not brewing for another week and a half, so there is time to make changes.

What online store are you shopping at so I can see the choices? I would think any type of Hallertau would be out of place for an aromatic IPA with an NZ hop focus unless you're bittering with it. But then again, a lot of those NZ hops have a mix of grassy Noble and fruity American hop traits. Off the top of my head, I'd say Riwaka for a NZ hop. It's similar to Cascade... Or, you could always just use an American NW hop.

What online store are you shopping at so I can see the choices? I would think any type of Hallertau would be out of place for an aromatic IPA with an NZ hop focus unless you're bittering with it. But then again, a lot of those NZ hops have a mix of grassy Noble and fruity American hop traits. Off the top of my head, I'd say Riwaka for a NZ hop. It's similar to Cascade... Or, you could always just use an American NW hop.

I was using Northern Brewer. I ended up getting 2oz each of Pacific Jade and Pacific Gem, so those should work better than the Hallertau.

*Must brew via a full-volume boil
*Must make a yeast starter (Unless you want a Session IPA)
*Must be able to ferment in the 60's (F)
*No SMaSH brews

Please answer the following:

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? All Grain
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency?70%
*Boil time? In minutes.60
*Will you rack to secondary? No
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? Either/Both
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 7.7
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5.7 (leave .5 in kettle)
*What is your desired alcohol content? 6.5-6.8%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? No Floral, No Earthy
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? Columbus, Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Summit, Amarillo on hand
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind?
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? 1098
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? Maris Otter
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? Yes
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? IPA
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? balanced
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. N/A
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? moderate
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? I'd like this one to be smooth hoppy, a bit of a back kick w/ sufficient malt to back it up
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. 7-9 SRM
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Great Lakes Commodore Perry, Green Flash Pallet Wrecker, Bell's The Oracle, SN Southern Harvest

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? All Grain (BIAB)
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? 75%
*Boil time? In minutes. 60
*Will you rack to secondary? Yes
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? Pellets
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 6.75
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5.25
*What is your desired alcohol content? 5.5~7.5
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? N/A
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? N/A
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? WLP0001
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? N/A
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? Slightly, I like a fairly balanced IPA
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. N/A
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? Thin to moderate
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? Moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? You can taste the sweet malty background, but the hops are in the forefront.
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Not really
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Southern Tier 2xIPA, Bells Two Hearted, Troegs Nugget Nectar (it is actually an Imperial Amber), Bells Hopslam, Weyerbacher Hops Infusion

I'd like to see what you come up with. :p

*Must brew via a full-volume boil
*Must make a yeast starter (Unless you want a Session IPA)
*Must be able to ferment in the 60's (F)
*No SMaSH brews

*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency?70%
*Boil time? In minutes.60
*Will you rack to secondary? No
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? Either/Both
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 7.7
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5.7 (leave .5 in kettle)
*What is your desired alcohol content? 6.5-6.8%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? No Floral, No Earthy
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? Columbus, Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Summit, Amarillo on hand
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? 1098
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? Maris Otter
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? balanced
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? I'd like this one to be smooth hoppy, a bit of a back kick w/ sufficient malt to back it up
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. 7-9 SRM
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Great Lakes Commodore Perry, Green Flash Pallet Wrecker, Bell's The Oracle, SN Southern Harvest

http://hopville.com/recipe/1459497/american-ipa-recipes/the-tony-danza

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? All Grain (BIAB)
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? Pellets
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 6.75
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5.25
*What is your desired alcohol content? 5.5~7.5
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? N/A
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? N/A
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? WLP0001
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? N/A
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? Slightly, I like a fairly balanced IPA
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? Thin to moderate
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? Moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? You can taste the sweet malty background, but the hops are in the forefront.
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Not really
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Southern Tier 2xIPA, Bells Two Hearted, Troegs Nugget Nectar (it is actually an Imperial Amber), Bells Hopslam

I'd like to see what you come up with. :p

http://hopville.com/recipe/1459561/american-ipa-recipes/the-hugo-stiglitz

Sorry! The 9.5# was a total brain fart on my part. I was quickly adding up the grain bill and accidentally added in the weight of the DME. That's kind of why I was planning on mashing in a cooler. I didn't think the 9.5# of grain plus water would fit in my 7.5 gallon kettle. But the 4 lbs. 12 oz. should fit nicely. Thanks again for your help and advice! I'm looking forward to taking the next step up before doing all grain.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml use the Can I Rack It? calculator to see what you can fit in a vessel...

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract?
All grain
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency?
65%
*Boil time? In minutes.
60-90min
*Will you rack to secondary?
I can
*Hop Pellets or Leaf?
Pellets
*What is your start boil volume in gallons?
7.5g
*What is your end batch volume in gallons?
5g
*What is your desired alcohol content?
5-8%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney?
Floral/piney
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind?
Nope
Nope
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind?
Any that works well
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind?
Nope
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base?
Yes
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA?
Single
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA?
Slightly
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range.
45-75
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body?
Thin to moderate
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste?
Dry to moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you?
Balanced, slightly hoppy but balanced with malt
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire.
No preference
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs.
Sweet water 420, harpoon ipa, Sierra Nevada

I'm looking to make a Fruity/Tropical summer IPA on the lighter end of the scale. 2-row or MO base. I generally prefer toasted malts to crystal, but was thinking a light addition of honey malt might be appropriate here. I have US-05 and WY1318 in the fridge, but can get whatever. Color isn't important. Medium body and sweetness.

I mostly want advice on how to combine Apollo, Citra & Simcoe (and whatever else I need to buy, except the elusive Amarillo).

I'm looking to make a Fruity/Tropical summer IPA on the lighter end of the scale. 2-row or MO base. I generally prefer toasted malts to crystal, but was thinking a light addition of honey malt might be appropriate here. I have US-05 and WY1318 in the fridge, but can get whatever. Color isn't important. Medium body and sweetness.

I mostly want advice on how to combine Apollo, Citra & Simcoe (and whatever else I need to buy, except the elusive Amarillo).

Apollo - Dank/Resiny/Marijuana
Citra - Tropical/Fruity/Mango/Melon/Lychee!!!!
Simcoe - Piney/Musky/Complex/a little Fruity

Use Apollo throughout the boil, at whirlpool, and dryhop for a dank IPA. But if you dryhop with Citra as well, it will take over and lessen those Apollo traits. The dryhop tends to dominate the overall flavor/aroma character of your IPA. When I want to mix a hop like Apollo and Citra for a dank IPA with some additional complexity, I will only use the Citra during whirlpool. If I want a tropical IPA with a bit of dank complexity, then I'll use something like Apollo everywhere, but I'll focus on Citra or other tropical hops like Falconers Flight in the dryhop. If you want something piney, a Simcoe dryhop will pull through for you. If you want piney/floral, then use Simcoe and Amarillo in the dryhop.

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract?
All grain
65%
*Boil time? In minutes.
60-90min
I can
*Hop Pellets or Leaf?
Pellets
7.5g
5g
5-8%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney?
Floral/piney
Nope
Nope
Any that works well
Nope
Yes
Single
Slightly
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range.
45-75
Thin to moderate
Dry to moderate
Balanced, slightly hoppy but balanced with malt
No preference
Sweet water 420, harpoon ipa, Sierra Nevada

http://hopville.com/recipe/1465873/american-ipa-recipes/the-doogie-howser

Let's see what you can do.

I'm pretty much open to anything. My friends (the people that drink my beer) are not big ipa fans.
With that being said take creative freedom, but I would like to use hops that I have in stock which are. Willamette (5.6%, 2lbs) Golding (4% 2lbs) warrior (13.7% 1lb) galena (11% 1lb) northdown (7.2% 4oz) 7 C's (9.9% 4oz) hbc 342 (11.4% 2oz) cascade (6.2% 4oz) palisade (8.1% 1lb)

I need to use up some hops before the lady friend yells at me for taking up half the freezer.

A far as base malt goes I have 2-row and Maris otter on hand.

Capable of doing 10 gallon batches

Pretty much open for anything

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? All-Grain
*Boil time? In minutes. 90
*Will you rack to secondary? Not typically
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? Leaf
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? ~8.5
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 6
*What is your desired alcohol content? ~6.5
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? Spicy/Earthy w/ supporting Citrus/Pine
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind?Columbus as the showcase
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind?Rye Malt
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? No Crystal
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? No preference
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? Showcase the hops, but not a watery beer
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. No harshness, but IBU's are my friend
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? Showcase the hops / balanced to stand up
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? Dry
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you?Fantastic hop aroma, but not vegetal; full mouthfeel, but not cloying/sweet; No hotness from alcohol
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs.10 Barrel ISA, Firestone Union Jack, Deschutes Inversion, Widmer O'Ryely IPA, Widmer X-114 IPA, mostly drink one-off IPAs from local (Northwest) pubs...

Thanks!

*Boil time? In minutes. 90
*Will you rack to secondary? Not typically
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? Leaf
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? ~8.5
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 6
*What is your desired alcohol content? ~6.5
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? Spicy/Earthy w/ supporting Citrus/Pine
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind?Columbus as the showcase
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind?Rye Malt
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? No Crystal
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? No preference
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? Showcase the hops, but not a watery beer
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. No harshness, but IBU's are my friend
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? Showcase the hops / balanced to stand up
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? Dry
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you?Fantastic hop aroma, but not vegetal; full mouthfeel, but not cloying/sweet; No hotness from alcohol
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs.10 Barrel ISA, Firestone Union Jack, Deschutes Inversion, Widmer O'Ryely IPA, Widmer X-114 IPA, mostly drink one-off IPAs from local (Northwest) pubs...

http://hopville.com/recipe/1476702/american-ipa-recipes/the-danny-trejo

Love to try your IPA Magic, Bob!

*Hop Pellets or Leaf? Either.
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? Can do as much as 8 gallons
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5.5 preferred
*What is your desired alcohol content? 7%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? Like Citrus, Fruity, Tropical and/or Piney
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? I'm open to this, but I'd like to give Citra a whirl.
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? I'm open
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? Any White Labs, but since I like a lot of the West Coast Ipa's, perhaps the San Diego strain?
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? Doesn't matter to me
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? No, I prefer lighter IPAs
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. Medium to Medium-High
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? Moderate
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? Dry to Moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? Not heavy, light refreshing, with some alcohol kick
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Not important, but I do like lighter because they're less malty
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Ballast Point's Sculpin, Alpine Beer Company's Duet, Roge's Yellow Snow IPA, Mammoth Brewing's 395 IPA, Coronado Brewing's Idiot IPA, Both Pliny's

What say you, Bob?!

All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract?
All Grain
72%
*Boil time? In minutes.
Yes, for dry hop
*Hop Pellets or Leaf?
Pellets or, if Willamette- whole
7.00 Gal
5.5 gal
6.5-7%
Spicy - not your average AIPA
LOVE Saaz, have 1/2 pound of Willamette In the freezer but would love for it to be all Noble hops.
Blackprinz for color
US-05 or WLP 029 - your choice
Wheat/wheat malt - I feel like I'm in the minority but I don't really like the flavor
Yup.
IPA
As long as its got tons of hop aroma and flavor... I suppose that's a 'no'.
60-70 is plenty
Moderate
Dry to moderate
Balanced in bitter/grain; but tons of aroma.
Reddish Brownish; yeish?
Considering what I'm asking for I don't think this will help you much.

Is this ridiculous? BTW I will absolutely brew this... And not only that, I can't wait!

Love to try your IPA Magic, Bob!

*Hop Pellets or Leaf? Either.
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? Can do as much as 8 gallons
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5.5 preferred
*What is your desired alcohol content? 7%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? Like Citrus, Fruity, Tropical and/or Piney
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? I'm open to this, but I'd like to give Citra a whirl.
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? Any White Labs, but since I like a lot of the West Coast Ipa's, perhaps the San Diego strain?
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? Doesn't matter to me
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? No, I prefer lighter IPAs
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. Medium to Medium-High
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? Moderate
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? Dry to Moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? Not heavy, light refreshing, with some alcohol kick
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Not important, but I do like lighter because they're less malty
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Ballast Point's Sculpin, Alpine Beer Company's Duet, Roge's Yellow Snow IPA, Mammoth Brewing's 395 IPA, Coronado Brewing's Idiot IPA, Both Pliny's

What say you, Bob?!

Bump for this one...thanks bob.

I'll play. I need more hops in my life right now.

*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? 70
*Will you rack to secondary? To dry hop? yes.
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? pellets
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 7
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5.5
*What is your desired alcohol content? 6-7%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? Citrusy/dank
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind?I'm open
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? I'm open
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? I'm open
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? yes
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? I like a balanced IPA, but not malt-forward
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. I'm open
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? Yes, balance to me is not piercing bitterness and nothing else. I like late hops for the flavor/aroma with enough bittering to complement it. I don't like straight 2-row and hops. I also don't like a boatload of crystal to make it too sweet.
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Sure, orangey
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Smuttynose Big A, Two Hearted (duh), Sculpin, G'Knight, Crooked Tree

Just found this. Nice read.

All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract?
All Grain
78%
*Boil time? In minutes.
Either 60 or 90
No, but I can dry-hop in primary
*Hop Pellets or Leaf?
Pellets
7.5 for 60 min boil. 8.25 for 90.
6.0 gal
6-7%
Floral/Pine
Any. Generally prefer American hops
Any.
Clean American Ale Yeast, usu WLP060
NO
Not necessarily
IPA
No, but some maltiness is fine
50-75
At least moderate
Moderate
Not really. IPAs are about hops.
Anything darker than Miller Lite yellow
Lagunitas Pale Ale (an IPA IMO), Inversion, DFH 60, Stone IPA

If it looks good I might well brew it.

L

m game. heres one im very interested in

Naughty Kitty Tom Cat IPA
American IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 6/24/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer: Glynn Brown
Boil Size: 6.52 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.98 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal Est Mash Efficiency 82.8 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Cargill Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.9 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Cargill Caramel - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.1 %
1.00 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - First Wort 70.0 min Hop 3 27.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 4 10.7 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 22.2 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Wyeast American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml] Yeast 8 -
2.00 oz Centennial [10.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 60.8 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 11.6 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 8.0 oz
Sparge Water: 4.17 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 16.88 qt of water at 169.8 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.79gal, 3.38gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 3.61 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 3.61 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

and just for the fum of it i was thinking of doing a Christmas style ipa. these are my next to brews. I've never done an ag brew theses two will be my first a temps.

Naughty Kitty Black Kat Christmas Ale
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spice Beer
Type: All Grain Date: 6/26/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer:
Boil Size: 6.52 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.98 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal Est Mash Efficiency 82.8 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Cargill Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 61.5 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 15.4 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 7.7 %
8.0 oz Briss Cara-Pils (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.8 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.8 %
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 19.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.80 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 8 13.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 15.2 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.00 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 9.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Candied Ginger (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 12 -
1.00 Items Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 13 -
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml] Yeast 14 -
2.00 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Secondary 7.0 days) Spice 16 -
1.00 Items Vanilla Bean (Secondary 7.0 days) Spice 17 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 57.2 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 23.0 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs
Sparge Water: 4.27 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 16.25 qt of water at 171.2 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 4 steps (Drain mash tun, , 1.42gal, 1.42gal, 1.42gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 3.61 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 3.61 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

I'm not sure why people are posting their own recipes outside of the original intent of the thread, or double-posting. I will get to your requests when I can. Keep cool my babies.

I'm not sure why people are posting their own recipes outside of the original intent of the thread, or double-posting. I will get to your requests when I can. Keep cool my babies.

I have never undertaken an all grain and have not brew in like 8 yrs. so i posted two different recipes hoping to get some insight from your vast knowledge as to how close i am.

Off the top of my head...

Too much crystal malt
Too dark crystal malt
An unnecessary 40 minute hop addition
Not enough late boil hops and dryhops
Too hot of a mash temp.
Not making a yeast starter
Using roasted barley
Using too much Munich
Too high of an FG
Off IBU ratios given the OG/FG
Overlooking a simple sugar addition
Only mashing for 45 mins. if you've never done all-grain
Adding unnecessary spices, zests, additives for the style
Maybe carbing a little too high

...Some of that is personal preference so it's not as bad as it seems.

How much leeway do I have when it comes to changing some of the ingredients or the amounts of those ingredients?

Also, this is a huge margin to miss on:

"Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG"

...Especially if you're claiming 72% brewhouse / 83% mash efficiency

I'm not sure a revised recipe will help you if the problem is about procedure.

All the math was created by brewsmith just from my input of ingredients. this brew has never been made. Im just following there style guideline indicator. the malt choices are what is ava to me from my local supplier brew and grow. hops that i have on hand now are 4 oz cascade, 4 oz centennial, 4 oz mt hood, 4 oz n.brewer and 1 oz of Chinook. otherwise have at it. I'll leave myself in your hands. if it helps, my personal flavor profile is. hoppie full bodied beer with a good balance of malt. my favorite ipa at the moment is snake dog ipa. i just tried rogue dead guy ale and found it to be a touch to malty for my taste i felt it needed more of a hop balance. my other fav is cane and ebel. hope thos brews give you an insight

if it helps the alpha list on my hops are centennial 10.8 - cascade 9.1 - n.brew 10 - mt. hood 7.5 - Chinook 13

For American 2-row, I like Great Western the most. Rahr and Malteurop are also quite good. For European 2-row, I like Muntons and Franco Belges. Crisp is alright. So is Simpsons. Briess has good American crystal malts. Weyermann for the European equivalents.

Your first recipe only contains base malt and crystal malt. I suggest you look through this thread for some other ideas on how you can add complexity to an IPA malt bill. Full body isn't typical for a regular IPA, but that doesn't mean it is wrong. Vienna will give you fuller body, as will a bit of carapils or wheat, and a 152-154 F mash temp.

Shoot for 1.060-1.070 OG and go with 6-8 oz. total hops for a regular IPA, 9-12 oz. for a double IPA. Of those hops, I would say Chinook early, Centennial and Cascade late - small bittering additions at 60/30 and huge late additions at anywhere from 15-10-5-0. The dryhop can be anywhere from 2.50 - 4.00 oz. - Make yourself a yeast starter. If any of this confuses you, read some more books, post some more in the beginner brewer section, get more involved, etc.

Thank you. I will post the recipe in a different section as to not derail this one any more

It's not a problem. But if someone wants an answer like everyone else, then they are going to have to follow the guidelines of the original post. I already answered you in the way you asked the question.

I will answer everyone else... Just taking my time with it.

*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? 70%
*Will you rack to secondary? yes
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? leaf
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 6.5
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5.0
*What is your desired alcohol content? 6-7%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy,
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? cascade, centennial, chinnok, mt hood, no brewer
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? Rahr 2 row
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? wyeast american ale II
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? ipa
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? yes with balance
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? 50 - 60
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? moderate to full
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", yes
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. open
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. flying dog snake dog IPA, Breckenridge small batch 471

:mug:
*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? All grain
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? This is my 3rd batch I am not sure
*Boil time? In minutes. no preference
*Will you rack to secondary? no preference
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? pellet
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? No prefernce
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5 gallons
*What is your desired alcohol content? 6-10 %
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? I like citrusy, fruity, dank, and floral
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? I have nelson sauvin, bravo, columbus, summit, simcoe, and 2 oz of amarillo (whole flowers)
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? No preference.... above 60 probably
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? Scottish Ale 1728? Not too sure
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? either
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? NO!
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. No preference
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? No preference
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? definitely not a malty sweet.... more dry and moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? No, I think pale ales should be balanced. Balance to me is when you can taste just as much malt as hops
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Nothing very dark at all
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Odells Ipa and Mercenary IIPA

Back