I went to bottle my Kolsch and looks like an infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attitude

Reaction score
Help it looks like an infection or maybe not. I brewed what I thought was a pretty straightforward recipe

7 LBS 2 row
1 LBS Wheat Malt
.75 LBS Vienna Malt
1.50 OZ Hallertauer (60 min)
WLP 029 German ale / Kolsch

When i opened the lid this is what i got. Now unfortunaly it did sit in 2ndary at a little high temp 73-76 for about a week. All the stuff just seems to be on top and it does not have a funky smell( it actually smells pretty good). Any help would be very helpful

Thanks Mike

DSC00445.jpg

I see the bubbles but the more solid looking stuff on the top i can not get a good visual of. Does it seem like a skin or film? if so then you probably do have a bit of an infection.

This does not mean it is undrinkable though.

Its more of a skin. I tasted it , seems fine ,So Im going to put it in a keg

I see the bubbles but the more solid looking stuff on the top i can not get a good visual of. Does it seem like a skin or film? if so then you probably do have a bit of an infection.

This does not mean it is undrinkable though.

Yeah, If it tastes ok then keg it and enjoy it as quick as you can. If it is an infection, the colder temp should slow it down.

High fermentation temperatures can get bacteria a foothold in your brew. This is why I always stress fermentation at the yeast's recommended fermentation temperature. The yeast always wins if you do this.

yup thats mold. Iv'e had that happen before. I just skimmed it off with a sanitized spoon and bottled. Came out just fine.

looks tasty to me. nothing wrong with a little ugly on your beer. if it is infected, just drink it faster and thoroughly clean all your equipment before the next batch.

I just did a kolsch using that same yeast. As with most of my brews, I crashed cooled it to 38 for 10 days or so after fermentation was complete. Usually the beer is crystal clear using this method, but the kolsch had a lot of floating junk in it (similar, but more chunky than your pic). I racked underneath the floaties and 2 weeks later I have a great kolsch. I think you'll be fine!

Back