I want to use this cooler SOOOO bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdizz

Reaction score
I recently procured this old corrugated tin igloo cooler and I want to use it for my MLT.
cooler.jpg

The only thing I'm concerned about is that it has a painted metal lining with a small bit of corrosion. My question is can I still use this? Will there be any off flavors or worse, will it ruin the beer? I'm building up my AG kit and would love to use this. The coolness factor for this thing is off the charts. :fro:

This is what the inside looks like:
cooler002.jpg

cooler003.jpg

That cooler looks like galvanized/zinc coated steel. I had a washer that I "thought" was stainless steel on the inside part in my plastic MLT. It was zinc coated steel. It ruined two baches before I figured it out (finally noticed the rust streaking), but maybe you like the taste of a metals in your beer...

Copper is fine too. But be careful if you've got multiple metals in contact with each other and an acidic solution, they will react with each other (ex: aluminum foil covering tomato sauce in a metal baking dish -- the foil will disintegrate into the sauce).

It's definitely metal and it has some rust.

AnOldUR did you make the liner or did it come like that? Any idea how old it is? (I'm trying to figure out what decade its from)

I have one just like it I use. These look like relics from the 50s or 60s, but mine is about five years old.

That little bit of rust will clean up. You are not going to have metal tasting beer from using this thing.

I don't have a kettle that can boil 5 gallons yet anyway so I'll just give it a shot with a half batch. If it doesn't work I won't have wasted too much $ and I'll just go get one of those boring plastic coolers.

Back