I want a new type of ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new fad seems to be fruit infused IPAs. (And to a more general degree, adjuncts)

Grapefruit, Mango, Pineapple are the standard buzzwords for fruit flavors in hops, and you see those fruits getting added to mainstream IPAs, but Tired Hands has their Milkshake series that does at least Strawberry and Blackberry.

Think about hops that are associated with a fruit flavor:
Lemon Zest and Sorachi Ace
Cherry and El Dorado
Orange and Mandarina Bavaria

Then think about building a hop/fruit bill that pairs the flavors.

Maybe Raspberry and Sorachi Ace would taste like Raspberry Lemonade. Maybe a single hop Mandarina Bavaria with Vanilla and Orange Zest would pair like a 50/50 Bar. Maybe the Mango component of Citra goes well with Peach.*

Another Tired Hands shout out is their MagoTago. It's an all Simcoe IPA with Mangoes. The idea being that Simcoe has an awesome flavor profile, but lacks that tropical fruit component of a Citra or Galaxy, so rather than add to the hop bill, just add the flavor its missing directly.

*Of course it does, Citra literally goes well with everything.

I've noticed some fruit flavors in some ipas that are just too fruity to be solely from the hops.

I've noticed some fruit flavors in some ipas that are just too fruity to be solely from the hops.

Try an all-brett IPA. The fruit flavors from the brett meld with any fruity hops you use and you end up with a fruit bowl but a dry finish

Try an all-brett IPA. The fruit flavors from the brett meld with any fruity hops you use and you end up with a fruit bowl but a dry finish

I had a soured porter once that, despite having not a bit of fruit on the beer, tasted strongly of cherries.

:)

I had a Brett Pale yesterday and it reminded me of the rack cherry flavor of cough syrup. It also had a slight barnyard, soft leather, maybe a bit of hay flavor as well. Not my favorite, but then again if I have some cherry flavor I don't want it to be extra sharp.

I brewed a pale ale using cascade hops for brewing and flavor. OMG! Tastes pretty darn good. Nice malt and orange flavor balance.

Back