i used Amylaze enzyme, can i reuse the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe1996

Reaction score
hi everyone, well i used safale 05 on a miller lite clone with cascade hops, but i used the enzyme in the mash, fermentation is over, i hit my FG, can i reuse this yeast cake? i want to brew a pale ale, but i want to finish at 1.014, not 1.003

this is my first try with enzyme and it works very good drying the beer but what about the yeast cake?

Amalyse is basically a chainsaw that turns the tree limbs (starches) into small pieces (simple sugars) so the wood chipper (yeast) can turn it into mulch (alcohol).

That is my very confusing analogy to say that the emzyme works on the starches, but does nothing directly to help the yeast

Your amylase enzyme added to the mash was denatured (deactivated) once your mash temps reached around 170-180, so going through the boil and fermentation they weren't active. They had already created the simple sugars you needed in the mash. Now if you added it directly to the fermenter that wouldn't quite be the case, but I'd still think that they would have been used up by this time.

Latest posts

Back