I think ive killed my brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o0_Enigma_0o

Reaction score
Hi,
My first brew, was a youngs u brew lager kit, that started well...
It looked just like real beer,

Anyway, I put it all in a pressure barrel. I started drinking it after about 10 - 14 days ish, and it tasted just like lager, just flat.

I got hold of some old lemonade bottles and filled them... about 12 litres in all..
Anyway, do you think it will develop a fizz now its in a smaller sealed bottle?

Thanks
Kirk

:mug:

More info? Did you prime it or do you have it on CO2? If you primed it, how much of what did you use? What temp has it been at since then?

More info? Did you prime it or do you have it on CO2? If you primed it, how much of what did you use? What temp has it been at since then?

Hi,

Didnt prime it because i dont have a CO2 Injection kit, my pressure barrel just has a normal cap, with a valve in it.

I stored it at room temp for about 4 days, then put it in the garage for about 8 days... then put it in a fridge so about 4 Deg C...

Now its in plastic 2 liter bottles in the garage at about 10 Deg C

Cheers :)

Kirk

Hi,

Didnt prime it because i dont have a CO2 Injection kit, my pressure barrel just has a normal cap, with a valve in it.

I stored it at room temp for about 4 days, then put it in the garage for about 8 days... then put it in a fridge so about 4 Deg C...

Now its in plastic 2 liter bottles in the garage at about 10 Deg C

Cheers :)

Kirk

Unless you added some sugar before you bottle there will be nothing for the yeast to eat in order to produce CO2. This process is called bottle priming.

+1 on the temp

Get it outta the fridge and leave it at room temp for a few weeks. Then give it a few days in the fridge before trying again. You put your yeast to sleep before it could carb your beer.

well its out the barrel now, because i read that the valve on the cap was a pressure release valve... so i was worried that it was venting my pressure...

Its now in lemonade bottles :) should i add more suger?

well its out the barrel now, because i read that the valve on the cap was a pressure release valve... so i was worried that it was venting my pressure...

Its now in lemonade bottles :) should i add more suger?

Let them warm up and open one in week and see if they are carbed at all.

Also be careful if they had lemonade they may not be able to handle the pressure.

will it make more pressure then lemonade?

Because i was thinking of using them for my next brew...

im not sure what i should do with my pressure barrel... is it normal for it to have a pressure release valve?

Was the lemonade carbonated? Generally, it's not.

I think the pressure release valve is set for a higher pressure than you'd be carbed at. It keeps it from exploding if you put too much sugar in when you prime it.

will it make more pressure then lemonade?

Probably unless the lemonade is heavily carbed like soda.

Because i was thinking of using them for my next brew...

Try and get bottles made to hold pressure if possible.

im not sure what i should do with my pressure barrel... is it normal for it to have a pressure release valve?

I've never used one of these so I don't know.

Thanks for the reply :)

I thought lemonade was carbed....

ive just been reading some other posts and it seems the pressure release valve stops it from exploding... but should be left for over 3 weeks to get carbed :)

I guess i was just rushing it,
Im gonna brew my next lot tomorrow... Geordie Larger this time... if i leave it for a month im hoping it should be ok...

My first brew that i was on about before... still has no fizz and has been in the plastic bottles for nearly 2 weeks..
is there anyway i can kick start the brew to make a fizz?

Back