I think I ruined my first mead batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmkoontz1

Reaction score
Made my first batch with a recipe on line, with 3# honey and a Gal of water and some fruit and Champagne yeast. Over filled container and after a few days it was spilling over. I took the stopper and air trap off and poured a little out, re-sanitized stopper and air trap. It's been two weeks and it stopped bubbling. Did I screw up my mead? Should I add more yeast or leave it alone for a couple of weeks?

/\ this. Relax, etc. for your first mead, take sg reading wait 35 days take another sg. Transfer (rack) into a carboy. Wait till it clears. Probably 30 or more days. 30 again rack into a carboy. This will help clear and degassing your mead. Time is your friend. It will take usually 6 months to get drinkable.

Ok week 3 and my SG reading was 0.998.
Does this sound correct. Wait one week rack to new Carboy and take another SG and let it sit for four weeks?

Personally, I'd wait about 1-2 months from pitching, rack, then 4 months then rack again. Then let it sit a while until ready.
Sorry, just getting back into brewing and totally new to meads, but planning on starting one in the next couple weeks...

Why so long in the primary? If it's below 1.000 already, what does keeping it on the primary yeast cake do for conditioning?

I'm only asking because I don't want to tie up my primary for that long. Might have to buy another ale pail if that is really the case.

You don't, but a month or two to complete fermentation isn't unheard of. It depends on your recipe and if you add nutrient, make a starter etc, etc. I usually give mine a week or two after bending done with the ferment to "clean up after themselves" and then over to the secondary. You can sit in the secondary for months and months, so be prepared for that.

Wait, what am I saying?!?!? You do need another ale pail, any excuse to buy more gear! Lol.

How long do you keep the air trap on? I know you keep it on during the fermentation process but do you keep using it after the first time you rack it? When do you just cap it and let it sit?

Latest posts

Back