i think i messed up my batch help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanpetty

Reaction score
I started a must about six days ago, but I didn't know to activate the yeast. What do I do! Do I have to start over?

You have two choices;
1. Sprinkle yeast onto juice.
2. Mix in 1/2 cup or so of warm water for 10-15 minutes per yeast pack instructions.

It says on the package of yeast to activate it by adding warm water n sugar and then add it to the wine. It is wine yeast

I just put it directly to the juice, about twenty hours after using campden, so basically I'm just worried my yeast is not "alive"

Did the top get foamy? Is there gunk on the side of the fermenter? What's your gravity reading?

It should be fine.

I did get a little foamy, the stopped. I don't have a hydrometer, to check the sg. This is my first time so, I'm expecting some mistakes

Don't sweat it. Just let it do its' thing. I never "activate" yeast, and it always works for me. What you did works. Yeast is powerful stuff, and knows what it's doing.

I was worried about this on one my first batches too. Remember that it could take up to 72 hours for the yeast to show some signs of fermentation.

I'm not sure but some books suggest you could also try to move the must to a bit warmer location.

Has the situation changed since yesterday?

Back