I think I have pellicle in my bottle cider what can I do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciderman62

Reaction score
I made a 25l batch of cider from fresh apples earlier this year that had a larger headspace in the fermentation bucket than I would have liked.

Once the primary fermentation had slowed I checked & discovered a thin white layer on the surface which I was told was pellicle I checked through the forums on here and the weight of advice seemed to be to attempt to take most of it off with a ladle.

I left the cider to finish fermenting & then carefully removed enough of the film to allow me to get a syphon into the bucket.

I racked off into a newly sterilised bucked & left it to stand for 24 hours & there was no sign of the pellicle so I bottled it off.

I have just checked a bottle from this batch and can clearly see a white film at the top of the bottle which clings to the neck as I slowly start to tip the bottle

I suspect this is pellicle

What can I do? is it safe to drink

You should be able to drink it safely, but with new strains of crap coming out now, no guarantees. As for what I would do, if it tastes ok, I'd drink it sooner than later. The longer you wait, the more it will sour. Some people might say let it sour and run with it, but besides they are turning into bottle bombs, the chances of it being a good wild yeast are very slim. Just because there was no sign of the pellicle when you were finished skimming, be assured that if it was souring, you did not get it all.

More on pellicles:
https://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Pellicle
Merely removing a pellicle doesn't remove the microorganism that causes it, and remains present in your cider (or beer, wine, etc.) and keeps "spoiling" it. If there's enough oxygen present, the pellicle will reform. Pellicle themselves are harmless when consumed, but they may not look appetizing.

More on Sulfites in Wine/Cider/Mead making (link to PDF):
https://store.extension.iastate.edu/Product/16425-pdf
Key is that sulfites mostly inhibit microorganisms, not always kill them, especially at lower dosage levels.

More on pellicles:
https://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Pellicle
Merely removing a pellicle doesn't remove the microorganism that causes it, and remains present in your cider (or beer, wine, etc.) and keeps "spoiling" it. If there's enough oxygen present, the pellicle will reform. Pellicle themselves are harmless when consumed, but they may not look appetizing.

More on Sulfites in Wine/Cider/Mead making (link to PDF):
https://store.extension.iastate.edu/Product/16425-pdf
Key is that sulfites mostly inhibit microorganisms, not always kill them, especially at lower dosage levels.
So I tried a bottle yesterday & it tastes fine but it hasn't carbonated yet it was bottled on the 9th December was left at room temperature for 2 weeks before being moved to the garage. I would have expected some carbonation by now

So I tried a bottle yesterday & it tastes fine but it hasn't carbonated yet it was bottled on the 9th December was left at room temperature for 2 weeks before being moved to the garage. I would have expected some carbonation by now
Depending on how long the cider sat around, it's possible there was not enough yeast left in the cider when your bottled it. Sulfiting retards or even inhibits what was left. In cases like that, or when in doubt, best to add some yeast when bottling, along with the sugar.

When bottling also fill a (small) plastic soda bottle and let carbonate in the same area as the others. It becomes your gauge of how carbonation is progressing, as it should get harder with time, when squeezed, without having to open a bottle.

Cheers all

As it happens I had a couple of crates still kept at room temp. I popped a bottle from one of those in the fridge this morning & have just opened it this one has carbonated fine.

As I have about 180 pints to go at Ill leave the ones moved to the garage first until last by then they should have carbonated up

I would just add that a quick bottle fermentation is generally a good thing to avoid this pellicle to form. The CO2 produced in the bottle will protect you cider from oxygen.

Latest posts

Back