I think I am about to cry!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Dear friends,

Today is a dark day in my life. I extracted beer from two of my primaries. They are my first ever two batches. First one was a Belgian Strong ale (wyeast #1388) and second was dubbel dachs orange blossom honey hefe-weizen.

I am sitting here drinking it, and both of them taste.... similar!! They have a slight unusual sweet taste that i cannot identify what is.

They also taste very alcoholic, but i assume that is because they are still young.

Please friend, shed some constuctive thoughts so that some good can come out of this darkness ;)

:mug::mug:

Hefeweizen:

7 lbs. German 2-row Pils
6 lbs. German Wheat Malt Light
0.5 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. 3.06 SRM
1 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey (at flameout) 11.7 IBU
2 oz. Orange Marmalade (at 15 mins) 4.9% ABV
1 vial. Wyeast 3068

Brewed two weeks ago.
OG: 75
FG: 14

Primary temp: 74*F

Been in primary two weeks.

Belgian Strong Ale:
Pale malt: 12lbs
Malted Wheat: 3lbs
Dark Candi: 180g
Syrian
Coriander seeds
Hersbrucker
Hallertau
Saaz

OG: 80
Primary temp: 79*C

Primary for three weeks.

Kind regards,
Marius Jonsson

You are drinking samples from the primary and they don't taste like you expect?

More time. More time.

Time is your friend and this case...your enemy. You just want to drink your very own homebrew. The wait will be well worth it!

Dear friends,

Are you telling me that the tastes will change? As of today, the taste almost the same! Both have a strange sweet taste.

How long do you think these badboys have to stay in secondary?

Cheers,
Marius

Were gonna need some more info ie:
Recipe?
When you brewed?
Original gravity?
Final gravity?
How long it's been in primary/secondary?

Were gonna need some more info ie:
Recipe?
When you brewed?
Original gravity?
Final gravity?
How long it's been in primary/secondary?

Hefeweizen:

7 lbs. German 2-row Pils
6 lbs. German Wheat Malt Light
0.5 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. 3.06 SRM
1 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey (at flameout) 11.7 IBU
2 oz. Orange Marmalade (at 15 mins) 4.9% ABV
1 vial. Wyeast 3068

Brewed two weeks ago.
OG: 75

Primary temp: 74*F

Been in primary two weeks.

Belgian Strong Ale:
Pale malt: 12lbs
Malted Wheat: 3lbs
Dark Candi: 180g

Syrian
Coriander seeds
Hersbrucker
Hallertau
Saaz

OG: 80
Primary temp: 79*C

Primary for three weeks.

Marius

I don't think you can form an analysis yet as to what the final product will be. To do so is a waste of time. An analogy would be; say you plopped your hamburger on the grill for 30 seconds and then tasted it. It's going to taste like raw meat. But finish cooking it and put it on a bun with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion etc. and then you have a delicious burger. Right now your beer is still on the grill.

So bottle it at the appropriate time and let it condition however long the style calls for. Then see what you got.

By the way, according to RICLARK he said "dude that Strong Ale needs between 6 monthes and a year to mellow out". If that's the case, I can only say that you should have picked a different style for a first try. One that only needs to condition 6 weeks. It's hard to wait long on your first batch(s).

Dennis

By the way, according to RICLARK he said "dude that Strong Ale needs between 6 monthes and a year to mellow out". If that's the case, I can only say that you should have picked a different style for a first try. One that only needs to condition 6 weeks. It's hard to wait long on your first batch(s).

This is true. I was thinking of making a witbier. Is that about 6 wks conditioning?

Thanks,
Kind regards,
Marius

They are ALL correct, first off your strong ale is going to take a WHILE to mellow out and on top of that... who drinks from the primary as a source of judgment on the final product? Taste for fun or not to waste a sample, but I wouldn't rely on that or get down when it doesn't taste like an amazing delicious beer. If it did, then we all wouldn't condition for weeks and weeks. RMFHAHB (relax my friend, have a home brew) and if you don't have one, get a sixer, just stop sipping down your primary ;)

I would advise you to brew one batch at a time, building from one to another. Start with a good basic brew, a bitters or a pale ale. Then build upon your success.

And a strong affirmation that it is very difficult to judge a beer before it is carbonted and conditioned.

Good luck!

Jim

There is now!

chart.jpg

Hope that helped. ;)

OMG, too funny llama

Back to the OP, way too soon to judge. Did you take a gravity reading when you sampled?

I agree with those who say "too soon to judge," but I want to add that it is not too soon to taste. Its totally fine and in fact educational to taste the beer throughout the process, just don't try to judge the beer yet. After a while you may be able to judge how the beer is coming, but until then just consider it "research."

Latest posts

Back