I rehydrated yeast in yeast nutrient and DAP. Did I just commit mass genocide to my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NICK_M

Reaction score
So I was rehydrating my yeast in 1 cup of warm water and I thought since I needed to add a teaspoon of yeast nutrient anyways I thought I’d just add it in as well. After maybe 5 minutes into rehydration I realized my mistake and decided to dump it into my cider must (possibly another dumb mistake). I found out that DAP (which is in the yeast nutrient I am using) is detrimental to my yeast when hydrating. Will my cider end up fine? Should I re-pitch some new fresh yeast? Or is my cider totally screwed?

So I was rehydrating my yeast in 1 cup of warm water and I thought since I needed to add a teaspoon of yeast nutrient anyways I thought I’d just add it in as well. After maybe 5 minutes into rehydration I realized my mistake and decided to dump it into my cider must (possibly another dumb mistake). I found out that DAP (which is in the yeast nutrient I am using) is detrimental to my yeast when hydrating. Will my cider end up fine? Should I re-pitch some new fresh yeast? Or is my cider totally screwed?
There is a chance that it will be fine anyway, but it is very likely that you killed a big percentage of the yeast. Therefore I would play it safe and just pitch more of the same yeast and relax.

Latest posts

Back