I probably did the wrong thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpwater

Reaction score
But i couldn't help myself.Two weeks ago i brewed my first 5 gal. batch, a truebrew amber ale extract kit.I used tap water that i boiled and that was my first concern because it tastes like crap right out of the tap but i wanted to see how it would work.Anyway, the stress was gettin to me big time so this morning i took a sample in a glass.I put some plastic wrap over the glass and sit it down.Pretty nice color, a little cloudy but looks nice.Finialy i overcame the fear and took a sniff, humm smells like beer, then i gritted my teeth and took a sip.First taste i got was bitter, not bad but hoppy.The best thing was what i didn' taste,no bad flavors from my water!I drank the whole thing and wanted another sample. If it looks good,smells good and tastes pretty good for a 2 week old beer i bet it will be really good in about 4 more weeks. Now for the question, will this brew be ok if i move it to a room thats about 65 degrees f ? I don't think it's ready to bottle now and i have to leave home for a month next monday. I'm really suprised and happy with my first brew so far. Cheers folks

Yes, 65f will be just fine. At this point, a bit cooler wouldn't hurt either. Congrats on your first brew.

What's the problem? So long as you used reasonably clean technique drawing your sample it's no biggie. I'm sure everyone has done this. As far as letting it sit for another 4 weeks, sure if that's what you want. It isn't necessary. But it's your beer. IMHO rack it to a bottling bucket with some priming sugar and bottle or keg it! Let it sit for a couple of weeks in the bottle or keg and enjoy.

Btw that temp question. 65F is fine maybe just a tad on the low end of the temp realms of Ale fermentation. But it's ok. Sounds like you're headed towards having some good brew

I also agree with Diver. I think after two weeks you can bottle the beer and let it bottle condition for the month you will be away.

You certainly didn't do the wrong thing. Tasting your beer throughout the process is an excellent learning tool. Its encouraged nearly universally among the homebrew experts that I trust

You should wait until you return to bottle it. I've bottled after 2 weeks in the fermenter and ive bottled after 4-6 weeks in the fermenter. IMHO the beer left in the fermenter for 6 weeks was clearer and cleaner. Leaving the beer on the yeast longer gives the yeast the opportunity to clean up after itself.

Congrats on your first brew! And welcome to this fascinating hobby!

You can get one of these for around $20-25. Might help your water. I think they look dumb and get in the way in the kitchen so I stash it under the sink when I'm not making beer.

pur-3.jpg

You can get one of these for around $20-25. Might help your water. I think they look dumb and get in the way in the kitchen so I stash it under the sink when I'm not making beer.

pur-3.jpg

Aquasana makes a great product as well, my beer improved drastically when I started using it.

Thanks for the kind words and advice.I had planed on bottling it saturday but it still had a bunch of floaters and suspended junk, hops that i didn't strain and maybe yeast going up and down in the brew so i thought it would be best to let i settle a while. maybe it will look better in a couple of days.If so, it's going in the bottle.

Back