I popped my All Grain cherry!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-SSV

Reaction score
After 17 years or so of brewing extract off and on I finally made the plunge into all grain brewing. I decided to go head first by brewing two different batches last night. It took me 10 hours to do both batches, but it was surprisingly easy. Beersmith helped a lot in terms of hitting my temps. Both batches (Fat tire clone + Amber Ale) came out exactly on the nose as far as original gravities go.

I started gathering the equipment I needed over the last month or so. I built my mash tun out of a 10 gallon Home Depot cooler using CPVC for the manifold. It worked like a charm! :ban:

Now comes the hard part..... waiting to taste the fruits of my labor.

I was surpried at how easy it was as well. I didn't wait 17 years, though...
It is better beer. The extract flavor I was sure I could not taste is quite present after tasting the difference in my AG. I am sure to use exrtact only as a booster from now on.
Plus, my LHBS has a "grain card" so all my base malts are $1 and specialty are $2. Now, like many people,with washing yeast and well purchased Hops, I can make a simlpe PA for about $15.

Back