I plan on starting my version of Lord Rhys Chocolate Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_in_wv

Reaction score
I plan on starting my version of Lord Rhys Chocolate Mead this evening. Here is what I plan on doing;
3 Qts of Water
1 Quart of Lin Honey
1 Vanilla Bean split
1 tsp Fermax Yeast Nutrient
16 oz of Cocoa Powder This will be a 7.1 oz of Organic Cocoa Powder with the balance made up with Hershey's Cocoa Powder

I will bring the water to the steam but not boiling stage just to stir in the honey,cocoa powder, and vanilla bean.
After this cools down I will check the SG and add my yeast.
I am trying to decide which yeast to add. I have on hand
Lalvin EC 1118
Lalvin K1-V1116
Red Star Montrachet
Red Star Pasteur Red
Red Star Cote Des Blancs
Red Star Pasteur Champagne

Am I missing anything?
This had better be good, because I hate to loose a quart of this honey. It is very good and I could easily get $15 for it on the local market.

I realized After I mixed everything up that I did not adjust the amount of cocoa. Now I need to extract more honey and mix again. O well that is what I will use my new 6 cal carboy for.

Whoo hoo! My husband I just did a 5 gallon batch but used meadowsweet honey and a gourmet Dutch chocolate. We tasted it when we reracked it and it is tasting fabulous already after only a couple months. We have decided to hold onto it for 3 years before we let anyone try it. Good luck and patience.

Tomico

Back