I.P...Ooops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaMonster

Reaction score
Let's just say, hypothetically, that I have this friend, that's it...a friend, that might have went a little overboard with the hops on an IPA recipe. He had some extra hops laying around, he had a couple beers, next thing you know everything is in the pot. ProMash has this thing at 130 IBUs with a 1.061 SG. That's high, right?

My question is, will hops mellow out with age? Can I...err, my buddy, let this one age in the bottle for a long time with some good results? Or maybe 130 IBUs is high but not awful?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Brian

It is just about impossible to go over 90 IBU, that's all the water will hold. For whatever reason, brewing software ignores this.

Still 90 IBU at 6% is rough stuff. Try it after 3-4 months.

OK, first off, you can put as many hops in there as you want. To heck with the IBU's If promash or beersmith says you are over a 100 ibu's...GOOD FOR YOU!!

I made a beer that had a 1.053 OG and beersmith put it at 160+ ibu's. I like this beer. It was rough when it was young, but its been bottled for about 3 months now and it is quite drinkable.

So, to answer your question, yes you can let it age and it will mellow a bit.

It sounds like you havent tried this yet, but are just worried about what it may taste like. This may be GREAT young. GIve it a chance and see whats up

Sean

Thank Goodness. I haven't tried it yet. I brewed it yesterday and it's bubbling happily away in my primary.

Got to ProMash this morning when I could type properly.

Back