I need your opinions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddball

Reaction score
I just brewed my first all grain batch with my brother (orange honey wheat). When we opened the bucket to take a gravity reading I noticed something that I had never seen in any of my previous batches (about 15 partial and 3 extract). Some of it just looks like small bubbles on the top but there are a few white spots as well. It doesn't really taste sour, just a little acidic (we did add fresh orange zest).

So my question is, do you guys think it is infected? If so, what are my options with this batch?

Thanks for your help....

beer 1.jpg

beer 2.jpg

That's just yeast. It's fine.

I have had batches before that had little yeast flakes on the surface and this looks a little different than that. I hope you are right though, because it has me a little worried. I know, I know RDWHAHB, but it is my first batch with my brother and I just don't want to turn him off right away...

Not that I am asking because I know WTF I'm talking about, but:
1. How long was it in the bucket before you opened it for this reading? Was it the first reading - and if not did the first crack at it look different?
2. Might be a funny photo effect, but how much head space is in that bucket? It looks sort of like 2 gallons of beer in a 5 gallon bucket. Just curious, I've read plenty of threads on the forum about CO2 displacing oxygen during fermentation so it is probably no big deal either way. Still, I frequently muse over silly thoughts like that while I should be doing something more productive...
3. Was your brother there when you peeked in and sneaked this photo? Taste it, if it seems wacky beyond "green," I'd be tempted to buy a couple cases of his favorite beer you are trying to clone and refill the bucket. I might pour a couple liters of moonshine in just to give him a little something to think about while I'm at it... Heck, I'd prolly just do that in a second bucket anyhow and keep the HB for myself!

Truthfully, I am paranoid about infection as well. So for the most part, I don't ever open the bucket - I just wait at least 2 or 3 weeks then bottle (unless I rack to a secondary, and that is NOT my typical MO). So far every batch has been spot on.

Hope this one works out for ya-

Brett

Not that I am asking because I know WTF I'm talking about, but:
1. How long was it in the bucket before you opened it for this reading? Was it the first reading - and if not did the first crack at it look different?
2. Might be a funny photo effect, but how much head space is in that bucket? It looks sort of like 2 gallons of beer in a 5 gallon bucket. Just curious, I've read plenty of threads on the forum about CO2 displacing oxygen during fermentation so it is probably no big deal either way. Still, I frequently muse over silly thoughts like that while I should be doing something more productive...
3. Was your brother there when you peeked in and sneaked this photo? Taste it, if it seems wacky beyond "green," I'd be tempted to buy a couple cases of his favorite beer you are trying to clone and refill the bucket. I might pour a couple liters of moonshine in just to give him a little something to think about while I'm at it... Heck, I'd prolly just do that in a second bucket anyhow and keep the HB for myself!

Truthfully, I am paranoid about infection as well. So for the most part, I don't ever open the bucket - I just wait at least 2 or 3 weeks then bottle (unless I rack to a secondary, and that is NOT my typical MO). So far every batch has been spot on.

Hope this one works out for ya-

Brett

1. 8 days/first look

2. photo effect/ 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket

3. Yes, he was there....

3. Yes, he was there....

DOH!

Guess you'll have to force that moonshine on him straight up.

Hope your beer works out. I know that pressure, I just had a friend over last night when I brewed, trying to suck him into the process. Best of luck to ya both-

DOH!

Guess you'll have to force that moonshine on him straight up.

Hope your beer works out. I know that pressure, I just had a friend over last night when I brewed, trying to suck him into the process. Best of luck to ya both-

Thanks...

Looks like yeast to me. What kind of yeast did you use? That looks exactly like my US-05 IPA after 10 days.

Looks fine to me. I ferment in glass carboys and after a week or so that's how it would look once the yeast started to clump up and drop. Looks like you had a nice krauesen ring around the wall

Looks fine to me. I ferment in glass carboys and after a week or so that's how it would look once the yeast started to clump up and drop. Looks like you had a nice krauesen ring around the wall

It started to show signs of fermentation within 8 hours and held strong for three days. The reading I took today was also surprisingly low at 1.003.

Back