I Need Help Choosing Specialty Grains For A Saison...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grainstoglass

Reaction score
I am a novice extract brewer trying to formulate a saison recipe. I am wondering what if any specialty grains to use. Are their some standard specialty grains used in saison that I should be gravitating towards? I plan on using Pilsen DME and hopping to around 30 IBU, but could definitely use some advice as this will be my first time brewing a saison.

Here is an award winning recipe.

7.7 lb Pilsner LME
1 lb Cane Sugar
.75 lb Wheat LME
.5 lb Munich LME

2.0 oz Caramunich 60L

1.7 oz Hallertau 4% AA 60 min
.75 oz Hallertau 4% AA 0 min

Since you have to buy LME in bulk it seems like a waste to purchase the Wheat and Munich LME to just use such a small amount.

Do you know how to partial mash?

If you want to make it easy on yourself then just use the Pilsen extract and the right yeast and ferment conditions. You can improve the profile a little bit by adding a certain proportion of wheat malt too (say 30%)

you could add a lil munich, wheat, or rye, but they all need to be mashed to get the full potential out of them. pils extract, sugar & wyeast 3711 will make a pretty solid saison tho

you could add a lil munich, wheat, or rye, but they all need to be mashed to get the full potential out of them. pils extract, sugar & wyeast 3711 will make a pretty solid saison tho

I was already planning on using wyeast 3711 as I have read many good reviews on here, but its nice to hear more positive feedback about that yeast before trying it for the first time.

First of all thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it. But now I have more questions...

A few of the responses mention adding wheat malt, what exactly will the wheat malt do for me in terms of flavor and or body?

How will it effect the profile?

I haven't brewed with wheat yet and I guess I'm just wondering if its worth the partial mash for the flavor and or profile contributions.

Add 1/2 oz crushed corriander to your 60 hop bag, it adds a nice little flavor

I've tried 3711 several times and it is not my favorite. It ferments well at lower temps, and dries the beer out, but I think other's have more flavor, but take a bit more work. Certainly 3711 is easy to use.

Wheat will help with head retention, but not necessary. You might want to steep a half pound of light crystal (10L or 20L).

Any spice addition should be understated (low amount). Personally, I think you should leave it out and let the yeast provide the flavor. Keep it simple; traditional Saisons are just farmhouse ales, and should be simple. The farms brewed them with whatever they had on hand, so the style is wide open - the yeast is the key.

Got AHS's Summer Saison ready to be bottled tomorrow, and going off the initial pre-bottle FG check/tasting, this is a knockout:

4 lb. each pale & wheat LME
1/2 lb. each Belgian Pilsner malt, white wheat, flaked wheat & aromatic malt
2 oz. Tradition @ 60 min.
1/2 oz. crushed Seeds of Paradise & 2 tbsp. fresh lemon zest @ 15 min.
1 oz. Hersbrucker @ 5 min.

Pitched WL568 Belgian Saison @ OG 1.062 (listed at 1.065, but meh...)

Can't wait to see how this turns out in the next few weeks.

Okay so after reading everyone's great advice, I ended up brewing this weekend. I didn't end up using any wheat this time around as I didn't have any on hand but I am pretty happy with how things turned out so far. The fermenting wort smells amazing. I went with straight pilsner malt and my original gravity was 1.055. I ended up using Wyeast 3711 and hopped with cascade and amarillo hops shooting for between 25 and 30 IBU.

Back