I need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuey

Reaction score
So i started my pumpkin ale yesterday i bought the partial grain kit from midwest, i did everything i was supposed to do, my SG was where is was supposed to be, i pitched my yeast at 2pm and i was getting good bubbles already at midnight and woke up to constant bubbling, good sign so i left the house and i just got back and checked on it and no bubbles at all! Just 24 hrs after pitching the yeast so i checked the temp and its at 79 degrees way to high.
I put in my basement in the coolest room i have it should drop down into the high sixties in a hour or two. Am i gonna have to repitch,or will the yeast get active again.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
I pitched the yeast at 70 degrees
The SG was 1044
Brewers best bucket with 3pc airlock and the lid was snapped on

Was it American ale yeast? That yeast has a high temp of 72 degrees, that's when off flavors will develop. Anyways I bet your fermentation is completed because of the high temps. There is no way to know for sure until you check the gravity. I would wait 2 weeks and then take a gravity reading.

Pitching in 70 degree wort is too high IMO. You should pitch in the low 60s and keep the temp in the mid 60s for at least 3 days before raising the temp to finish up.

I think one of three things is going on:

If you were fermenting with something like Nottingham or S04 at 79 degrees your fermentation could be substantially complete in 24-36 hours.

You have a leak (very likely)...airlock activity is not a reliable indicator of fermentation activity so check you current gravity.

You did cool the wort so much that it cold crashed the yeast (unlikely). Put it back to its optimal temp and give the wort a stir.

I think one of three things is going on:

If you were fermenting with something like Nottingham or S04 at 79 degrees your fermentation could be substantially complete in 24-36 hours.

You have a leak (very likely)...airlock activity is not a reliable indicator of fermentation activity so check you current gravity.

You did cool the wort so much that it cold crashed the yeast (unlikely). Put it back to its optimal temp and give the wort a stir.

OP never said he cold crashed. The coolest part of the house is high 60s which should keep the yeast active if they are not done fermenting.

Ok so i just checked the gravty and it was at 1020, so it dropped considerably over the last 29 hrs, im in the prossess of getting the temp down, so should i stir it? I dont know what type of yeast it was.... I can tell you it was a ale yeast that was dry and in a green and yellow package.

Ok so i just checked the gravty and it was at 1020, so it dropped considerably over the last 29 hrs, im in the prossess of getting the temp down, so should i stir it? I dont know what type of yeast it was.... I can tell you it was a ale yeast that was dry and in a green and yellow package.

Just get the temp to mid 60s and leave it alone for 2 weeks. The yeast will do their thing. Nothing can be rushed in home brewing. Unless you need this beer for a party in a week or two just leave it for a couple weeks and check the gravity again. Also knowing your yeast strain is very important so you know what the optimum temps are for fermentation.

Green and yellow package is probably Muntons Dry. Suggested fermentation temp is between 74-70* F.

Latest posts

Back