I need advice on brewing a tangerine wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojavejohn

Reaction score
I am a novice brewer. I have only used beer kits, mainly from More Beer. My beautiful bride has just tasted a tangerine wheat from a local brewer, Big Bear Mountain Brewery and Pub, in Big Bear Lk, Ca. She has requested that I brew her up some of that great drink. I have done a little research and haven't found any kit to do this for me.
I guess I will have to go out on my own and make it myself. I have read a few posts on here and this is what I gather that I will need to do.
1.) Get a Hefewiezen kit and brew it as normal (5 gallons)
2.) Buy a yet, unknown amount of tangerines
3.) Pasteurize the tangerines and put them into the primary
4.) Put the wort in on top of the tangerines and ferment as normal
5.) Transfer to secondary

Since this will be my first attempt at straying from any recipe I need some advice/guidance on what has worked for you in the past.
How long should I keep it in the primary?
Are there any other steps that I need to take?
Should I use tangerine extract? I have read that it tastes OK, but not as good as the real deal.
How many tangerines should I use?
Thanks for the help.:mug:

I'd suggest putting the tangerines in secondary. I did a clementine cream ale once (it was supposed to be like buffalo bill's orange blossom) with 2.5# of fruit in five gallons in the secondary but it just wasn't enough. And they use orange blossom water as a flavor/aroma enhancer in addition to fruit. Other than that, I'd say you're pretty much good to go.

The general rule with citrus is to use only the zest, added after active fermentation is done. Either in primary or in secondary. Basically like dry hopping with the zest. I always soak it in a little vodka for a few days first, and add the vodka to thr beer as well.

I've had good success with adding 2-4oz of zest @ 5 min left in the boil, for what it's worth.

Cheers!

I've had good success with adding 2-4oz of zest @ 5 min left in the boil, for what it's worth.

Cheers!

The general rule with citrus is to use only the zest, added after active fermentation is done. Either in primary or in secondary. Basically like dry hopping with the zest. I always soak it in a little vodka for a few days first, and add the vodka to thr beer as well.

Hey guys thanks for the advice. Do you soak the zest in the vodka to kill all the junk that could contaminate the wort. Also, if I put the rind into the primary after it has stopped fermenting, how long should I leave it in. I am assuming at some point it will need to go into a secondary so that when I bottle I wont have a bunch of floaties. Or will everything settle out into the trub over time. I am thinking at least a couple of weeks in the primary after the zest has been added. What do you think?

For those who said put the tangerines in the secondary... Do you cut them up or literally put the whole tangerine in the secondary? Interesting...

Double_D said:
Chunks. I squeezed them a little too and then let them float.

That's awesome! I personally have only had Lost Coasts tangerine wheat, I'm not really a fan, but it's a huge hit here in California at lease.

Back