I need a frivolous Christmas Present!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResumeMan

Reaction score
I have been instructed to "get frivolous" for my Xmas present this year. This means get something I wouldn't normally spend my money on. Realistically anything up to about $5-600 would be available, so I can't go looking for a new brew sculpture or anything.

My wort-making system is pretty basic, but I don't really see an overwhelming need to upgrade it. It's a picnic-cooler-keggle setup. I was considering getting a pump and plate chiller, but the immersion chiller still works just fine for my 5-gallon batches, and the cleaning aspect of the plate chiller worries me.

I've got a fermentation fridge and dual-stage temp controller. I was considering getting the Brewbit controller - that's about the ultimate frivolous gift! - but the @$@@ are sold out till 2Q2015. That's no fun.

I suppose I could look into a new sweet fermenter, but it would either need to be self-temperature-controlling or would need to fit into my existing, regular-size (actually smallish) fermentation fridge. I contemplated the brew bucket, but that got mixed reviews.

One thing I don't have that is in the mix is a grain mill.

So help me out - what's a nice few-hundred-dollar upgrade that would help me make better beer, or make it easier, that is maybe a quirky or "fun" purchase more than core gear? Suggestions appreciated!

Edit: Oops, I'm an idiot. Several people chimed in to suggest I start kegging my beer. Which would be a great suggestion if I hadn't been kegging for 10 years and didn't already have a spiffy keezer. So.. other than kegging :)

I would go for the grain mill. You'll need a few more dollars, over the mill price, to motorize it and build a nice stand to mount it to.

I second the kegging, it is hard to beat saving several hours cleaning, sanitizing and capping 50 bottles. Plus the added benefit of force carbing so you can be drinking your fresh brew a few minutes later if need be. Plus you can still bottle if you want. I usually only bottle when I need to empty a keg or need to take brew with me somewhere.

+1 to the kegging setup....that can be done for about $300 and you could still get a mill. I have found that alternative beverage has good deals...also adventures in homebrewing.

You might want to clarify if she meant get frivolous and buy your own damn Xmas gift, or if she was trying to hint at you spending closer to $600 on her gift rather than closer to $5.

My wife got me a digital refractometer. It's frivolous, but it's great. I've always had trouble reading an analog refractometer. Push a button and you get the reading. And it only takes a small sample which is easy to cool.

Kegging? I think that would be something I would look at in that range.

Oh, oops. I thought that I had included in my OP that the single most extravagant brewing item I own is the keezer I built last year. This would be a good suggestion if I hadn't been kegging for 10 years and had a shiny keezer for a year.

You might want to clarify if she meant get frivolous and buy your own damn Xmas gift, or if she was trying to hint at you spending closer to $600 on her gift rather than closer to $5.

haha :) Actually the directive came from my FIL. We finally got officially married this year after almost 17 years together. He already gave us a more generous wedding present than the occasion deserved, but he said to "go big" for the holiday as well.

We may come up with a joint present we'd like together, but this is in case we can't.

It really sounds like you'll get the best use out of a mill. The rest of the stuff you mentioned would be just things you bought to buy. I understand that just supports frivolous, but to me, frivolous or not, I still want to have something I could use that i don't already have. A mill is one of them.

You have everything else that makes fine beer and dispenses it. The mill will only complete your circle.

Perhaps I'm going a little off topic, but I started thinking about some non-homebrew craft beer gifts...

You could do 12 months of a beer-of-the-month club. Do some reasearch, there are a lot of options!

Weekend tour of local breweries with your buddies - basically renting a bus/limo for a day to go do tastings at 4-5 breweries in the area, without having to worry about driving home.

A motorized mill with an ac gear motor would be a great addition. I found my mill to really be a lifesaver. I get to buy grain in bulk and I know that it is super consistent. A digital refractometer would be rad too. You could get a brew stand too, but that would take more work. Maybe a local guy in the club could build it. I know I would do that for someone. Heck, I'd go stainless if they helped do the work. Yes, A $500-600 stainless single tier brewstand could be bad here in southern az if you played your cards right...

haha :) Actually the directive came from my FIL. We finally got officially married this year after almost 17 years together. He already gave us a more generous wedding present than the occasion deserved, but he said to "go big" for the holiday as well.

We may come up with a joint present we'd like together, but this is in case we can't.

Please put me wise.......... what the heck is a "FIL.....a new acronym to me..... Pardon my ignorance, but I live in the "outback" of Montana.

That said, I vote for the kegging setup. I assume that you already have a mill...

H.W.

Please put me wise.......... what the heck is a "FIL.....a new acronym to me..... Pardon my ignorance, but I live in the "outback" of Montana.

That said, I vote for the kegging setup. I assume that you already have a mill...

H.W.

I'm guessing FIL means father in law.

Back