I made GF soup...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aomagman78

Reaction score
So last night I tried to mash my recipe for a 1 gallon batch:

1lb Malted Quinoa
12oz Buckwheat
8oz Flaked Oats

I used 2 gallons of water, started at 120F for 30min to then raised to 150F where I added amylase powder (Crosby & Baker or whatever). I then raised the temp to 180 for 30min and left for 3 hours - temp dropped to 145 by the time I returned. At this point I added more amylase, raised temps to 158 and let it sit overnight. When I returned in the morning temp was at 128.

I tasted my "wort"...very starchy, not sweet. Everything was mixed a lot, and left loosely in a nylon bag. When I tried raising the nylon bag this morning to drain it, it didn't come it. Literally the gelatinous ooze that was my mash refused to give up any water. When I removed the bag all I had was about 3/4 of a gallon of liquid in the bottom.

I didn't remove anything, I gave it another mix today and a little more amylase before I left. I won't be back for 12 hours. Is there any chance the C&B powder also has other enzymes in it that will convert anything at lower temperatures?

I think this is what I've read from most people, and why they don't get any conversion. What are peoples thoughts? Is this standard? Is there anyway to salvage/finish converting this mess I have created? Any ideas on how to get the liquid out of my goop in the grain bag? Thanks for input.

Not sure about salvage but in terms of enzymes, enzymes will generally continue to work at low temperatures. They will not stop unless they are deactivated by heat (pasturized or boiling) or until the enzymes fizzle out on their own. There was an article about this somewhere, that I can't seem to find.

We generally use the high heat for a mash because it processes the enzyme faster, but they also fizzle out faster.

My process of enzyme creation was the sake process followed by an attempt at a high heat process to try to get the enzymes to further convert any starch remaining. Not sure mine worked either, and next time, I'm going to experiement with how it converts by adding yeast and letting the enzymes sit with the grain. (This will *not* produce anything like beer however.) Normally, the sake process creates the enzymes and undergoes a long, cool sitting process where the enzymes continuously convert starch to sugar, and yeast converts sugar to alcohol. The issue with this, is that I wouldn't have been able to deactivate the enzymes and add hop flavor. Leaving it sitting without yeast just seems like a bad idea to my, since wild yeast will try to grab hold of the sugary liquid instead, unless I'm lucky and none get in.

You may wish to find a way to heat the sludge up to release some liquid, followed by a hot water sparge of sorts, but I'm not sure what else that will do.

If I get home and nothing has changed I may experiment with some beano. I figure, might as well get something out of this. I've read that beano ( alpha galactosidase) can go a long way in drying a beer out by breaking down starches. TAking beers down to 1.000 or below. So Whatever I get out of thsi mash, I'm going to throw in the fermenter with some beano and additional amylase plus my yeast. See if those two can't get me some alcohol. Flavor...well that could be a problem, but alcohol I shall have hopefully.

Well I boiled this thing up. It is thick that's for sure. But I added 1/3lb amber candi syrup to boil so there is some sugar. It is fermenting this morning. I added amylase with yeast in hopes that it'll continue to break things down as it ferments. We'll see what things look like in a week or so. I figure that the yeast should be able to take care of 1/3lb of candy syrup by then, so if it's still going in a week I'll consider that other sugars are being produced.

Back