I made a video of my SMaSH brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
Disclaimers:

This was my first try even getting the video off the camera. Took a while to add text and upload.

I did no editing, it's the way it came off the camera, I added text (noticed spelling errors after I uploaded it).

Poor camera operator (me)
Crystal clear on my PC, looks crappy after uploading it to youtube.

20 lbs 2 row
3 oz Willimette
2 packs US-05
Super Irish Moss

[YOUTUBE]3JVkH2OyqsA[/YOUTUBE]

Nice job Superior. TY

I am impressed with the set up you have. How about a video not on the actual beer making, but rather the process one goes through as a brewer.

Maybe one that begins with kits, moves to partial then all grain. Possibly with the equipment purchases/productions being added to the brewery.

Awesome Superior! I love the setup as well! Would definately be interested in learning more about the workings and what not.

Might I say that your set up makes it look much easier than mine and you have inspired me to finish all of my plumbing. Great job and enjoy the Blonde!

I really need to take it all apart, sand and paint the stand, clean up the kegs and put the new sight glasses on them. It's a pretty rusty from sitting outside for 4 years. It was designed as a CIP (clean in place system) and I use it as such. After the brew I flush the whole system with near boiling water that I heat in the HLT near the end of the boil. Every second or third brew I run some PBW thru it and I run some starsan thru it every month or so just for some added insurance.
It is all hard plumbed, with 2 march pumps so there are no hoses to move.

I finally have it so its working nice and smooth but now it's too cold out to do the restoration, and since it's just cosmetic it will have to wait till spring/summer time.

At first all the valves were a bit intimidating, (it has 16 of them but only 9 are used while brewing) but now I can run it in my sleep.
I found it here on HBT in the classifieds :D
I still plan to add gas valves and controllers this winter and possibly a separate electric HERMS unit. Although my sparge set up works pretty well and it only takes me 20 minutes to sparge and transfer the wort to the BK , my efficiencies are always in the 75-80% range. I still want a cleaner solution for sparging. I was thinking about trying a rain type shower head with a strainer just ahead of it.

11999-brewrig.jpg

Sweet rig - nice vid! Thanks for doing that. :mug:

One observation: When you add O2, you were getting some really big bubbling going on. I thought I read somewhere that you want to keep the bubbles really small, and set the reg so that the bubbles barely make it to the surface. I don't think there is anything wrong with the bigger bubbles, just less O2 making it into the wort.

I could be wrong - it's happened before. Just ask my ex ;)

I noticed that too. I run mine much slower. If you have a huge tank and don't care about waste, no problem. Since I'm running out of a medical tank that I don't think I'm going to get anyone to fill for me, I am careful not to waste.

Jester369 said:
When you add O2, you were getting some really big bubbling going on. I thought I read somewhere that you want to keep the bubbles really small, and set the reg so that the bubbles barely make it to the surface.
I could be wrong - it's happened before. Just ask my ex ;)

I started out that way but by the time I grabbed the camera the top was already covered in bubbles and you really couldnt tell that I was doing anything, so I tried to turn it up with my left hand whaile the camera was rolling. It was up so high the regulator made that loud screech you can hear in the video :)

Bobby_M said:
I noticed that too. I run mine much slower. If you have a huge tank and don't care about waste, no problem. Since I'm running out of a medical tank that I don't think I'm going to get anyone to fill for me, I am careful not to waste.
I have a medical regulator but no tank. I am afraid to ask the local medical supply place how much it is to buy a tank.

tbulger said:
Do you leave your mash burner on for the whole mash or only when it drops?
I find that with the top open and the garage heat set to 50º - 60º I mash in and let it sit for 10-15 minutes, by then the temp has dropped from 154º to 152º I then start to slowly recirculate for 30 seconds or so till the little grain pieces stop and then I open it up to wide open and start the burner. With the burner as low as it goes the temperature stays at 153º to 154.5º the whole 45 minutes that I recirculate.

LS_Grimmy said:
jesus think you could talk to my wife for me so I can get a nice setup like that.
You are supposed to work all that stuff out before you even propose to them :)
After the paper is signed you are SOL :D

Once more, a round of applause. I love your setup, and it's obvious that you've refined the process.

I was going to critique the O2 bubbles, but it seems we've been through that!

Now, if only I could brew a 10+ gallon AG beer in under 7 minutes...

Yuri_Rage said:
Once more, a round of applause. I love your setup, and it's obvious that you've refined the process.

I was going to critique the O2 bubbles, but it seems we've been through that!

Now, if only I could brew a 10+ gallon AG beer in under 7 minutes...

Thanks,

I have it down to about:

30 minutes Roll out the brew rig, attach hose, gas & electric. fill MT & HLT, weigh and mill grain.
60 minutes Dough in and mash
30 minutes Sparge and transfer wort to BK (I start heating as soon as there is a few gallons in the kettle)
60 minutes Boil clean up of MT and misc. Sanitize fermenter etc.
45 minutes Chill, transfer to fermenter, aerate & pitch
30-45 minutes Clean up the rest and putting it away depends on how much I did during the boil, alot of the time I get it boiling nice and head back in the house to check out HBT and forgo the MT cleaning till the end. Have I mentioned that I love foam control drops :D

Back