I love building this stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme70

Reaction score
Been working on getting my single tier setup done, and I am happy to say that I'm almost there. Just waiting on a couple of bulkhead fittings from brewhardware.com. Nothing on it is automated, and I don't plan on it. I like to have more "hands on" during the process. Anyhow, I've been wanting to start brewing double batches for a while. The rig is made from SuperStrut channels (thanks for all the info Gifty74
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f253/my-weldless-build-using-strut-363128/

The MLT is a 15 gallon HDPE barrel inside a 30 gallon barrel with 2 part expanding foam. The R Value of this stuff at 1 inch thickness roughly 5, and I have about 2 1/2 inches on the sides, and about 4 inches thick on the bottom. I insulated a SS stockpot lid (which just so happens to fit on top) with a foam camping pad and some aluminum tape. I put reflectix around the outside for aesthetics more than anything else, but it couldn't hurt. The rig has two BG14 burners from Agrisupply. Hoses and regulators through Amazon. The treadplate I purchased on Ebay (16 x 48 for $35, free shipping). I made a round MLT manifold and also a round (not as easy as I initially thought) adjustable sparge/recirculating arm in case I only do a single batch. Scored an AceRoto tank for $30. Test fired the burners, no leaks:rockin: Leak tested HLT and BK, no leaks:rockin::rockin: No leaks in the MLT:rockin::rockin::rockin: Small leak in the racking port on the conical, hence the waiting on another bulkhead fitting. Once the fittings get here, I can install the thermometer in the MLT, and I will be ready to do a "dry run" to make sure there aren't any leaks and that my process is sound.

Tier.jpg

MTMan001.jpg

MTMan002.jpg

Sparge001.jpg

Sparge002.jpg

Conical.jpg

Back