I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i should be finishing up a brew this time tonight, but my malt just says delivery "pending"...bummer, crap like this is why i learned to malt my own...but have gotten lazy...

huh? they set me up with two local feed stores that stock whole barley! there's perks to living in the middle of no where.....

but i got my batch brewed today, malt showed up yesterday....got crap effec. though, only pulled 87% :(...guess i should have busted out the ph meter after all, or sparged slower....

As someone who grew up on a farm and has worked in a grain elevator, you're making me cringe at the idea of malting cattle feed for something people will consume.

Probably referring to all the dead rats found in elevators. I wouldn't worry until i found one in a bag though. I'm sure the barley that winds up in the malt house has some skeletons in its closet too.

Probably referring to all the dead rats found in elevators. I wouldn't worry until i found one in a bag though. I'm sure the barley that winds up in the malt house has some skeletons in its closet too.

yeah, i've always figured the same. all i find are some random corn kernels, and some millet in it though. not a big deal to me. tastes fine to me, i sent some off to other people. one said it was good, still waiting on the other.

just don't want to be overly confident with it, although, i've been drinking beer made from it since 2016

At some point, people start to care about the grain that is destined for human consumption.

Nobody gives a crap about what goes into animal feed. Is it moldy, is it close enough to what we say it is, and will they eat it are the big issues. After that, nobody really cares.

Good point about mold toxins. (Although they do test for them and try to keep them out of feed. ) As far as everything else though, we are "processing" the grains for human consumption every time we brew. On a related note, i was just asking our seed dealer the other day if his company offered two row seed. (Been thinking about dipping my toes into malting.) My theory is that the stuff sold for seed has to be pure and cleaned before bagging. Id like to plant a little patch too.

that's what i thought...
Been thinking about dipping my toes into malting.

it's easy and fun, until you have to deculm. then it's a PITA! lol, still trying to figure out a easy way.....

and when i first started malting, i used a UV flashlight on it. just to double check....not perfect but good enough for me....

As someone who grew up on a farm and has worked in a grain elevator, you're making me cringe at the idea of malting cattle feed for something people will consume.

Way back in another life, I was a volunteer fireman and did a bunch of training around the country. That included a dust explosion demonstration at a NFPA facility in Tennessee (?). I had no idea that such a thing could happen. Was there concern of this around a grain silo?

Yes, I was absolutely concerned about it. They go as far as to put in special electrical outlets in elevators to reduce the chance of ignition.

But the big boss hired a family member to be the boss on the floor, and she didn't care at all. She is a smoker, and didn't care that the break room was only a few steps away from where we were bagging seed.

I should've made a ruckus about it, but I didn't want to deal with her going through withdrawal. I also should've worn a mask every day that I worked there.

Aloha Opus!
I hope you are doung well!

I am by no means an expert at brewing or electrc setups, I tinkered around with electric and its pretty neat

There are some true wizards on here in the brewing, electric brewing know how way more qualified in that art/science than me. Passedpawn and Ischiavo to name two greats!
Cheers!
Dan

Think of what grain storage techniques they had when the Vikings were invading England and before that; if mold and rat poop on grain were all that dangerous, the human race would have died out long before now. Also, when wort is boiled, doesn't that kill any bacteria present?

Think of what grain storage techniques they had when the Vikings were invading England and before that; if mold and rat poop on grain were all that dangerous, the human race would have died out long before now. Also, when wort is boiled, doesn't that kill any bacteria present?

Germans kept cats in the brewery to eliminate the rats. But the cats liked to **** in the grain. I heard kai troester recount reading this from old german brewing manuals.

I don't really want to compare best food storage practices with a culture (which I am descended from) that had a life expectancy of 30-40 years, and whose idea of pre-surgery anesthetic was hemlock and belladonna.

two batches of german pilsner today, on the books
1616961271745.png

Got a brew day coming up tomorrow. Just did a late night bleaching inside of fermentation fridge. Definitely going to be getting some damp-rid. The freezer section had developed some mold.

My keezer failed and I haven't replaced or fixed it yet. I have a wet hopped barely wine I want to make this week.

Going to be an interesting few days.

What has everyone been up to lately? I've been busy yet frustrated at work (Court is online which I hate. Teaching online however is going much better than I thought). I've been working on reviving my Full Contact Archery Club as well.

Attachments

• Archer Rat.png
    Archer Rat.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
Back