I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My three favorite plants in no particle order are: Barley, hops, and tobacco. Tonight I had a "salad" of all three and it was great. I hope you all have a great thanksgiving, mine couldn't have been better.

Happy Thanksgiving Dan and the Later Nighters.

Happy TDay to you LRB!

I'm late in the reply but sincere in the words. Happy Thanksgiving each day to you!"

I need to say because.....
LRB, PP, Ischiavo, and Stauffbier. Friends I consider very dear. Happy Thanksgiving to you, to your family!'

Not all know me too well here, it's the Internet. Yah? But a few do.

Also, Loretta, Happy days to you sister and to Bob!

Truly to every body here. I wish you happiness, peace, success and fulfillment to you and yours.

Cheers to you and yours on this Thanksgiving time (A day late but who's counting)
😊
Dan

Bugger the beer gods are a fickle bunch. I had a well pretty good gusher infection going on for awhile a bit ago. The light beers after burping many times before serving turned out right nice might I say downright good while the darker beers were well ummm ok not so good might be a kind thing to say.

Any way I had got rid of the silly thing by tons of bleach and a very hardcore cleaning regime. The last 3 batches I brewed had turned out righteous. So good that I put on a batch of 3-C caps the letters MOP. Now get your silly heads out of the mop bucket. It did not mean that it tasted like mop mop water but I was calling it Milk Of Paradise. And there the whole issue started.

Sigh I had only marked a few beers with the milk moniker simply because I was sharing my beer with a guy that had won many competitions. The very first beer I gave him gushed. It was the only gusher that whole night but I gave it to him. Luckily he had many others that night that did not gush.

Yup the beer gods are a fickle bunch:p

Sorry to hear about the gushers V-Man! Glad to hear all turned out well. Just got to look at it like those beers were really happy

Any you guys heard of an indoor propane (LP) stove/oven? I've always understood indoor propane burning was hazardous because of carbon monoxide. My SIL says she's been using one for years, they just turn on the range hood fan.

Looks like HD, sells propane stoves. Here in Hawaii where electricity is ridiculously expensive, I'm looking into a propane burning kitchen stove.

Thoughts please.

Maybe this link will work. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Amana-5-1-...ct_205074325&gclid=CNLWhLStpMICFUNrfgodFpIAZg

Sorry to hear about the gushers V-Man! Glad to hear all turned out well. Just got to look at it like those beers were really happy

Any you guys heard of an indoor propane (LP) stove/oven? I've always understood indoor propane burning was hazardous because of carbon monoxide. My SIL says she's been using one for years, they just turn on the range hood fan.

Looks like HD, sells propane stoves. Here in Hawaii where electricity is ridiculously expensive, I'm looking into a propane burning kitchen stove.

Thoughts please.

Maybe this link will work. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Amana-5-1-...ct_205074325&gclid=CNLWhLStpMICFUNrfgodFpIAZg

They are not hazardous at the low output of an indoor range. Our burners that we use for brewing have a very high output which makes them unsafe for indoor use.

Dan
Propane is safe for use indoors so long as the fixture is rated for indoor use. Stuff like the burners most people use for brewing just burn through so much propane that the carbon monoxide output is ridiculous. Not to mention the open flame problems. So long as you have some sort of venting (and a carbon monoxide detector is not a bad idea either) you should be okay.

Thanks guys. I think a new propane stove is in my future. My wife loves to bake, a lot.

I thought electricity rates in Cali were bad but they're nothing compared to Hawaii. I could run my central AC in 100+ degree heat and it was cheaper than a winter month here. No heating or AC. It's nuts.

Couple shots o' whiskey.... Women here start lookin' GOOD

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3foGsa2dWOU[/ame]

William Tecumseh Sherman (February 8, 1820 – February 14, 1891) was an American soldier, businessman

West Point
"At the Academy I was not considered a good soldier, for at no time was I selected for any office, but remained a private throughout the whole four years. Then, as now, neatness in dress and form, with a strict conformity to the rules, were the qualifications required for office, and I suppose I was found not to excel in any of these. In studies I always held a respectable reputation with the professors, and generally ranked among the best, especially in drawing, chemistry, mathematics, and natural philosophy. My average demerits, per annum, were about one hundred and fifty, which reduced my final class standing from number four to six."

In January 1861, as more Southern states were seceding from the Union, Sherman was required to accept receipt of arms surrendered to the State Militia by the U.S. Arsenal at Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Instead of complying, he resigned his position as superintendent and returned to the North, declaring to the governor of Louisiana, "On no earthly account will I do any act or think any thought hostile ... to the ... United States."

William Sherman. He had a BIG PAIR of gonads. So did many of our founding fathers. The USA we live in is a great country.

Our founders were tough SOBs when necessary. I believe these days they'd be considered bad men. Say what you want. These tough bastards gave us our country, the USA.

The racial tension still in this USA, is purely embarrassing, degrading, and not American. Time to be one nation. Remember the Pledge of Allegiance words- "United We Stand; Devided We Fall" very wise words that maybe we all should reflect on, more than occasionally.

Cheers, happy days to you all
Dan

Sherman was an interesting guy for sure. His role in the American Civil War undoubtedly helped form the nation we have today (its my thesis that had Sherman not undertook his historic "March to the Sea" the South may have won the war and seceeded, and further, the English and French would have capitalized on a fragmented North America, ultimately recapturing and recolonizing the country). With that said, to call him a Founding Father is a little bit of a misnomer, the country having been founded... well... four score and seven years prior. Something important to remember with Sherman is that he was born in Ohio... the same Ohio that had the second largest number of volunteer infantry regiments during the war (#1 was, of course, my beloved New York). Anti-Union sentiment, or even Confederate sympathy, was very very low in comparison to even... well... my beloved New York. Try going home to Ohio AFTER surrendering militia arms to the State of Louisiana...

Something else.

When I was a young child I lived in a small town. Population around 2,000. Still is. The town rested in the farmlands of Illinois.

Most everybody, actually the whole population of the town was Caucasian. There was a guy that drove the UPS truck who delivered to our town - he was Black or African American. He was a good man.

Until I joined the Navy, in 1983, I'd never really met anybody outside my race. And luckily, probably thanks to my mom and dad, I had no learned prejudice. The military (no it wasn't always. I get that) was truly color blind. First thing that happens in a military is boot camp. Every military boot camp has similar methods. First they destroy you, call it brainwashing (I haven't heard that word in quite a while). But they really don't destroy you, they level you. And then they spend quite a bit of time building a person in the military's image. Sounds pretty terrible huh?

But it isn't, ha, you see movies that exploit the military. Turn men and women into machines. That' idea doesn't do justice to our men and women who wear the uniform of the the United States military.

In my career, here's what I saw. Skin color didn't matter, race, creed, even sexual preference (much as I hate to give credit to him, Mr Clinton got that ball rolling). Kind of nice to live in a structured world like the USA Armed forces. They definitely hold standards, high standards. Sometimes a bit ridiculous invasion on your privacy. But, overall. Even if Though you really give up some freedom as a mitary person. Life is pretty good. I know it's not for everybody and I truly support that too.

What got me on this long ramble?

Current times. What's going on in MO. Hateness. Racial tension. I went into a world I had no prejudice towards. I was very lucky. It sure made for a whole better life.

At the approaching time of year, I'm pretty foolish to hope, but I will.

Peace and happiness this year and after, to you, to each of our fellow man.

CreamyG,

Thank you for the correction on founding father. That was a bit exaggeration on my part. ☺️ I sometimes get a bit carried away.

Cheers CG, to you and yours!

Seems I'm on a roll texting my views. It's a bit...not sure of the word. Self righteous, maybe? Two words and I
think that's what I'm being because it doesn't stop me from posting this:

Rant on. It's better I do it here rather than drive and exhibit road rage. It happens to the best of us. I don't know why exactly but sometimes we are foolish dicks and emotions overwhelm our driving. A guy I know told me he has bad road rage when he drives his personal car. Funny thing, weird maybe, is he drove 18 wheelers for years and he told me he never experienced road rage driving in those big trucks. He said driving as an occupation was very peaceful. I believe him.

I've had my car drivers license for 34 some years. I reckon I easily have at least a million miles of driving a car under my belt, probably add another 100k miles on a motorcycle. Still, each time I get behind the wheel responsibility kicks in, as it should.

Where am I going with this? Hmm, it's kind of like when you were a kid and gas was cheap (if you're that old. 😊 ). No real place you were going, just cruising.

Why the rant? Mainly because I have too much time on my hands these days and in the 7 months I've been living in Hawaii, I was honked at twice and ran into once. All three times were by people who are more than likely good citizens, have jobs and aren't bad folks. All the times were within a mile, maybe less, from my house. The final straight away, the home stretch after an hour or so of heavy traffic.

I guess it really is true most vehicle accidents happen close to home. I think impatience and letting your guard down plays into that.

Drive safe, be patient and remember please. Don't honk at your fellow driver - it might be me😄

Cheers!
Dan

Something else.

When I was a young child I lived in a small town. Population around 2,000. Still is. The town rested in the farmlands of Illinois.

Most everybody, actually the whole population of the town was Caucasian. There was a guy that drove the UPS truck who delivered to our town - he was Black or African American. He was a good man.

Until I joined the Navy, in 1983, I'd never really met anybody outside my race. And luckily, probably thanks to my mom and dad, I had no learned prejudice. The military (no it wasn't always. I get that) was truly color blind. First thing that happens in a military is boot camp. Every military boot camp has similar methods. First they destroy you, call it brainwashing (I haven't heard that word in quite a while). But they really don't destroy you, they level you. And then they spend quite a bit of time building a person in the military's image. Sounds pretty terrible huh?

But it isn't, ha, you see movies that exploit the military. Turn men and women into machines. That' idea doesn't do justice to our men and women who wear the uniform of the the United States military.

In my career, here's what I saw. Skin color didn't matter, race, creed, even sexual preference (much as I hate to give credit to him, Mr Clinton got that ball rolling). Kind of nice to live in a structured world like the USA Armed forces. They definitely hold standards, high standards. Sometimes a bit ridiculous invasion on your privacy. But, overall. Even if Though you really give up some freedom as a mitary person. Life is pretty good. I know it's not for everybody and I truly support that too.

What got me on this long ramble?

Current times. What's going on in MO. Hateness. Racial tension. I went into a world I had no prejudice towards. I was very lucky. It sure made for a whole better life.

At the approaching time of year, I'm pretty foolish to hope, but I will.

Peace and happiness this year and after, to you, to each of our fellow man.

What I take from this is to love your brother man, plain and simple, hard to do at times but it's what needs to be done, shame it's so "F" in hard.
You're a good man Dan, peace and love to you and your's and to all here.

Thank you for the kind words and wishes, ChefRex. To you and yours (and honestly to all) I wish only the best of days, happy hearts, and goodness.

I know I'm not perfect, not by far! I sometimes get angry, especially if I'm really hungry. I know I have occasionally become a bit pissy when I drive, not in heavy traffic. It's usually on the final mile home. By then we all (car drivers) are on a homestretch. Seems every inch or road space matters. :(

I went on a bit of backdating, editing ramble here. :)
If I had to start counting with my hand on people I have forvigen or are yet to forgive. I'd start counting at my thumb, that would be the number one, my ex-wife's husband probably. I have forgiven him and his atrocities years ago. Forgiveness and forget-ness is not the same. Forgiveness is the most important though. A human mind unless degraded by Alzheimer's, doesn't forget anything really.. But the heart learns to forgive, and the heart has pretty good leverage over the mind.. Not always but mostly it does.

The pointer finger, number two. My ex-wife. Believe me, the divorce was disgustingly messy. She divorced while I was overseas. Soldiers and Sailors Act.. Forget it! Didn't work. She took my kids away and Ive spent the last 14 years keeping them close.

All because I was in the military. (Her Missouri Judge said a military man was no better than a criminal. Eff, no wonder they have problems in Missouri) At one time I had pure hate for her.. Many years ago. But not now. She, in the end is just a person, she is a person who I fell in love with, raised kids for a decade with, she is the mother of our children. She's truly a good God loving Christian (to be honest, I give some but not a lot of credibility to that) But overall, it's been 14 years since we divorced... I've come to forgive her. Nobody is perfect. Relationships don't always hold up. Now we are distant friends, parents of three kids.

Sorry, I drifted on an initial ramble and threw in with it a different one.. getting back to what I was saying. Or what I meant to say orginially.. Confused? Me too.

To be quite honest, it's a pretty rare occasion when there are people that I just don't like. Not because of their color, not at all. Mostly it just anybody who is not considerate towards a fellow man. Or woman.

I just do not get this racial divide!!!!! I really think the cause of much racial division is just not getting to know each other.

What I probably truly miss most about my 26 years in the military was race was not an accepted consideration. A person could go back in history and bring up all the terrible inequality in the military. That person might as well talk about dinosaurs as a threat to the rains forests in 2014 .

For the record, I think the military definitely was racist at one point, they also used to kick out homosexuals, even Court Martial them.. They don't do that any longer.

Truth is, life is only hard when prejudice rears it's destructive head. You know, I got a Hipppy Thread on here.. it was fun, some good thoughts passed. I'm way too old to become a hippy. If that is what is called being a person that understands others for who they are.

I believe in Abraham Lincolns address.

If youre 45 or over, this you had to memorize in school. The whole address, but the first sentence gets the point across, perfectly.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that “all men are created equal.”

Thanks for putting up with my rants ChefRex. :mug:
Cheers!
Dan

That's what we're here for Dan.

Visited my 91 Year old father in the hospital tonight, doctor asked the siblings to a meeting and cover his condition and it's not good, mentally still lucid but the body is shutting down.
Can't suppose I can complain, 53 years old and dads still around, he has had a good run.
I'm the second youngest of eight, and the black sheep and I still came around pretty good if I do say myself, mom has been gone for a long time, she was going to throw me out at 18 for a scale, step moms not doing too well either, starting to lose it.
Looks like fun times ahead.

Sorry just needed to vent a little, don't mean to be a downer, as I said nothing to complain about, I wish I was leading a life as fulfilling as he has had.

He had surprised us before pulling though so I'll keep a positive attitude and give him the back log of I love you s I owe him.

Cheers:mug:

That's what we're here for Dan.

Visited my 91 Year old father in the hospital tonight, doctor asked the siblings to a meeting and cover his condition and it's not good, mentally still lucid but the body is shutting down.
Can't suppose I can complain, 53 years old and dads still around, he has had a good run.
I'm the second youngest of eight, and the black sheep and I still came around pretty good if I do say myself, mom has been gone for a long time, she was going to throw me out at 18 for a scale, step moms not doing too well either, starting to lose it.
Looks like fun times ahead.

Sorry just needed to vent a little, don't mean to be a downer, as I said nothing to complain about, I wish I was leading a life as fulfilling as he has had.

He had surprised us before pulling though so I'll keep a positive attitude and give him the back log of I love you s I owe him.

Cheers:mug:

I lost my dad nearly 3 years to the day. He went too soon and without warning. It's tough either way, this I know. Your dad has lived a nice long life thus far. I wish him peace and comfort and the same for you and your family. I think that in a cynical world, the best we have is our love for one another, unconditionally.

I agree with you Dan,
Thankfully I think that racism is getting better. Adults may still be grasping strongly to their predjudices, but you know there is hope when you observe children at play. They do not care what someone looks like, they are still pure. And for examples that society can grow and expand, think of the generations that are growing up now. Homosexuality, which was apparently a severe beating offense growing up in the 50s-70s is accepted in high schools much more readily. Most people I know are good friends with several and the fear is just not there. There are still the pissed off ones who just want some group to hate, but things are improving. Racial tension is getting better too. Maybe not as fast, but ground is being made. I think things just seem worse nowadays because the news/media needs sensationalist stories to get people to watch and as a result you hear more about instances of violence/abuse.

I am not discounting the severity of the events of violence and hate that have been going on recently, I am not denying that they happen. I just am optimistic and see that shiny silver lining peeking out.

Seasons Greetings Late Nighters

I think this is probably the longest stretch I've stayed away from HBT since I found this place. Life just seems to slowly change trajectory and you drift away from some things. Hope this finds you all well and good.

I"m totally with you on the hunger hate Dan. I get grumpy when I'm hungry too.

Finally fired up the brewery this week. Brew day went smoothly, but not without a few hitches. For some reason my stir plates have been stalling on me. Never done that before, but, whatever. The starers didn't finish up until a couple hours in to brew day, so I didn't have time to settle out quite all of the yeast. Got enough to get the job done though. Then I screwed up and forgot to steep the roasted barley (I was making a stout). I didn't realize it until there was only about 10 minutes left in the boil. I decided to just go ahead and steep it for the rest of the boil and see what happens. It's not near as dark as I wanted it. Probably going to be more like an Irish red. The wort that was left in the kettle tasted good. Oh well, it's beer. I will drink it and be happy. SWMBO gave me a hand until it was time to boil, then made dog biscuits and pizza dough with some of the spent grain. The dog biscuits aren't bad actually. I had to try one. Haven't tasted the dough yet. I'm glad she embraces the hobby and has found a way to participate. It was also nice to have the mash tun partially cleaned out for me.

I agree with you Dan,
Thankfully I think that racism is getting better. Adults may still be grasping strongly to their predjudices, but you know there is hope when you observe children at play. They do not care what someone looks like, they are still pure. And for examples that society can grow and expand, think of the generations that are growing up now. Homosexuality, which was apparently a severe beating offense growing up in the 50s-70s is accepted in high schools much more readily. Most people I know are good friends with several and the fear is just not there. There are still the pissed off ones who just want some group to hate, but things are improving. Racial tension is getting better too. Maybe not as fast, but ground is being made. I think things just seem worse nowadays because the news/media needs sensationalist stories to get people to watch and as a result you hear more about instances of violence/abuse.

I am not discounting the severity of the events of violence and hate that have been going on recently, I am not denying that they happen. I just am optimistic and see that shiny silver lining peeking out.

DJ, I wouldn't have know how to say those words better.. Thank you, Brother.

Dan

I agree with you Dan,

I suppose, generally if you agree with my
short text and give a cheers, that's pretty good. Better than good! We, I think are two like minds. And I truly doubt we are the only two. :)

But I reread your post after the first reading of it, and quick cheers and reply.

I was truly happy in your post and one thing that caught me, one thing truly you hit on (not that there weren't other good points, very good points)

-Children. Kid's only know prejudice if taught to them. Our task, as human beings, Fathers, Mom's, Aunts Uncles, Grandma and Grandpas; is to not turn our children into racist of any kind. I know this is just...crazy talk.. But not really.

I'm not sure which philosophy I stand on when it comes to enforcing race.. But forcefully integrating sounds bad -

DJ, I know you didn't hint toward that at all.. I'm on my own roll now.

That's what has been tried with school bussing and stuff.. I don't think many people loved that idea. The theory was good but it was a
weak idea that tried to force ideas. ...

That wasn't the answer.

About half the population should become temporarily blind, totally sightless, for about a week, maybe two! Then, then..........

What happens? People will take care of each other. The strong look after the weak. I think nurses are really an example of that. Truly!

Human nature, with out prejudice. We take care of each other. We also have huge egos. It's something that can be taken two ways Help because we can, fight because we can - Or help each other live well.

Tell you the truth. Guys have tried to take advantage of each other forever. Since the beginning.

I'm not this perfect person. Hell, I don't even give to the Santa Clauses at each grocery store exit. And I don't always give money to the boy scouts.

No man is infallible, no man is perfect. I think; I believe we each should try to help and I truly believe the best thing we can help with is acceptance and appreciation for one another.

Dan
-Out

I'm glad to see Later's healing and finding time to brew. I brewed a small 3 gallon amber. The base was 4 lbs of Vienna and 1 lb 2 row. I had just kegged a blend of 2 batches of Yoopers Fizzy Yellow, so I had a quart of yeast. I used half(ish) of the yeast. I was wondering the difference of using a majority of Vienna. So, I brewed a 2nd batch with an inverted based of 4lbs 2 row, and 1 lb Vienna. The other grains, hops and yeast are all the same. The sit now side by side in the chamber. This is why I like small batches. Still got my son to little league try outs, a tree lighting thing, ansdwe all went out for Chinese. :)

I should probably start my own blog. However, I'm not exactly sure what a blog is. I think the letters blog are an acronym, but not sure. Seems like it's a good place where a person can have a one sided rant, or share.

So I searched the Internet

According to acronym.com

The 5 star answer is, "WebLog". I had to look at that word for a moment. Last four letters- bLog. That's probably very clear to most but until a second ago was not to me. I got a feeling it's the original meaning.

Second most accepted definition got only two stars "Better Listings on Google" I can't disagree with that thought. Acronym, however, no.

One star, "Buy Locally Owned Group" ya, okay

No stars, and I'm pretty sure I like this one the least. "Big Load of Gossip"

Here's a list of my own ideas for the meaning of: BLOG

Beer Lovers, One Group (My # 1)

And on my chop and burn list:

Big load of garbage

Boys love only greed

Bears like orange gorillas

Big like one giraffe

Boisterous losers often gag

😃

Dan

I'm at my period of self (recently) given time limit to post her. I still give myself a few exceptions on gen pop postings. That was pretty easy though.

A question is why I post this time.

I have a DVD/VCR player. It's older but hardly been used. Think we got it around 2009. The VCR side only eats tape. The DVD player works, sort of works. It hangs up often. Movies just freeze. My quick solution is to lift the front of the machine a few inches and drop it back to the tabletop.

That us usually works. Probably not optimum though.

Any ideas to fix this problem?

Cleaning the lens may stretch the life of your old DVD player some, though if the problem is mechanical I agree with hunter and it is probably best to replace it. Not to mention that the newer units can actually improve the picture quality of your videos and that for the cost of that old unit when you bought it and not to mention could go Bluray too

I'm not sure if any of you followed the show, Sons of Anarchy. I have. I'm always a week behind cause I watch it on amazon instant video

The show, SON OF ANARCHY... oops caps. I'm glad it's over, I still need to see the last show.

If you're familiar with SOA, you know it's a man's soap opera. And a very violent show. Lot of love expressed too.

The main characters have been violently killed over the last three or four shows. Truly bad deaths

Next and last show, my guess is the very main character, Jackson "Jax" will be brutally murdered by his club because he killed another club member. A fellow SOA president

His kids, in the show. I think will finally be removed from the terribly violent, even if love filled. Life

Glad the SOA show has come to an end. It's an effed up life they lived by the sword, died by the sword, an eye for an eye philosophy. They held trust and love in high regard. To dishonor that brings mayhem.

One last show I'll see later this week, once it comes out on Amazon video

The show, the series is like watching a train crash. You know it's going to go bad, but you don't look away.

His kids, in the show. I think will finally be removed from the terribly violent, even if love filled. Life

I always thought no one really loved the kids, just the idea of kids and family. Did Jax ever through a ball to the older kid? They were always being shipped off or cared for by someone else (of course that's also because kids on tv are annoying little actors).

Stopped following it as seriously after the second season. The one in prison where my favorite character bought it. Saw some of the next and just couldnt get as into it. Maybe I should rewatch the rest and catch up. It was good if not intense.

Hey all. Haven't checked in for a while. Long day at work. I got a tree on the way home. White pine. First time ever not a balsam or spruce. I like it much better. I do the lights and garland. Wifey and kids hang the ornaments. I made a wreath with the trimmings and some cable ties while they did that...turned out ok. Now to do some shopping...I haven't bought a single gift yet.

Hey all. Haven't checked in for a while. Long day at work. I got a tree on the way home. White pine. First time ever not a balsam or spruce. I like it much better. I do the lights and garland. Wifey and kids hang the ornaments. I made a wreath with the trimmings and some cable ties while they did that...turned out ok. Now to do some shopping...I haven't bought a single gift yet.

Ischiavo,

I'm truly happy for you and your family. I don't know what a white pine is, I'm guessing (guessing mind you) the only reason you mentioned it is because it isn't the traditional ... ? Shoot man, I don't know.

As far as Im concerned you could have bought a 20 foot garden pole because the most important, the most precious is decorating the tree with you family. Lifetime memories my bro. That's all I'm saying. You're a good man, Ischiavo. Truly, truly. Merry Christmas Bro.
Feliz Navidad . The song goes on for awhile! :)

http://youtu.be/RTtc2pM1boE

Back