I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bread looks yummy, been a long time since I've had the bread smell in the house. Had a bread machine, seldom used it. Gone now. Great job on the ten year starter! First thing I think of is the blob..hahaha.

Hefe,

It's real easy to get that nice fresh bread aroma going through your home. Get some yeast, not quick rising although it will work.

Fleishman, the active one. Has a recipe on the pouch. Follow it. Kneading is nothing extraordinary. Just working the dough.

Flatten
fold
knuckles in push
turn
Flatten fold
knuckes in push
over and over for 5 minutes or so, adding a bit of flour in the beginning so the dough is not too sticky.

Follow the rest of the directions for rise time and oven temps. You'll make good bread.

Like basic brew kits, that's a start.. Might spark your interest, or you might just rather buy it.

:mug:

Dan,
Been a long time since I thought of Jonny Cash. My dad used to play him and June Carter all the time. He was a great song writer and singer. You don't hear many tunes like JC's from the current country singers. Good pick.

Yep, I'm a big fan. There's a country music thread I started a while back, think Johnny Cash was the first guy I mentioned. If you're interested here's the link. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/my-favorite-country-songs-317888/

Thanks for the nice compliment Dan! I totally got the message you were sending with that song, too!

I don't know crap about making bread, but I aspire to know. A couple of days ago I joined a bread making group on facebook, and now I'm feeling intimidated. haha.. Some of those people do some really amazing things! I'll start with baby steps.

Mike, I made some really great sourdoughs and got into the breadmaking thing about 17-18 years ago.. I really thought I was good at it, and to be honest I was. Everybody loved and asked for my breads. But you know what? My passion made the bread, along with a solid foundation that came from reading. I think you'd like Daniel Leader's book "Bread Alone" I'm very sure you would love his book. It is not just a book about bread recipes; the book is a piece of history that includes WWII, not the war part the bread making part. I really recommend it to you.

Check it out Mike, "Bread Alone" by Daniel Leader. I don't know if there is an online version. I read the book `17 years ago. Good book.. Trust me. I'll see what I can find. Maybe a payback for the beer you sent :mug:

I made some awesome banana bread to go with breakfast for my out-of-town visitors, the ones hubby invited here from the tractor forum he belongs to. I'm not a bread maker, yet, but they oohed and ahhhed over the bread, went good with the fresh eggs, mystery meat and onion stir fry.

I was so pissed that hubby invited these people who he said are Christian missionaries and don't curse around them!! That was the hardest part, lol, a lot of "oh sh... shizammm!!!" And, "what the fu.... fun mess we got into." I took them on a tour. But we had flooding from recent rain so it was a little difficult getting around in the woods and hubby's friend made the mistake of telling me he hadn't gotten to see an alligator while in Florida. Haha, he got to see one or 2!

They said they didn't drink when I offered them a homebrew, so I said "Well, I'll open the last bottle of blackberry wine then." I added, "you won't even taste the alcohol in it." And they drank it and they loved it!!! LOL, having a drink with Christian missionaries having their first drink in 15 years! I'm surprised they didn't taste the nearly 15% alcohol in it.

We had so much fun and literally my stomach muscles are sore from laughing so much. I LOVE my new friends. Hubby would sit down to eat with us but pretty much I entertained them the 2 days. Now, they are telling people on the tractor forum how we "have it made" and more tractor people want to come see us. Haha, no....

There was the incident with the cactus the wife said I could eat, ouch!!! And the gold fish/ gold finch thing, hilarious but an inside joke now, and the guy and his dog who had not seen civilization in a long time, he come walking up from the national forest, which surrounds us. They were like kids in a candy store and I don't think they ever felt an adrenaline rush like they felt exploring with me. When we finally got back, after all day in the woods, looking at the sink holes, wild turkeys, rabbits, alligators and a bear in the distance, the wife told me she felt itchy, like she got bit by bugs. I told her it's probably ticks, get your hubby to check you later. :)

I can't remember the last time I had so much fun, and it was more than just what I mentioned. My driving the lawn tractor that we used to look around, though we did have to get off and walk a lot. They asked, did I have a driver's license and my answer was no and I was serious!!!!

Mike, I made some really great sourdoughs and got into the breadmaking thing about 17-18 years ago.. I really thought I was good at it, and to be honest I was. Everybody loved and asked for my breads. But you know what? My passion made the bread, along with a solid foundation that came from reading. I think you'd like Daniel Leader's book "Bread Alone" I'm very sure you would love his book. It is not just a book about bread recipes; the book is a piece of history that includes WWII, not the war part the bread making part. I really recommend it to you.

Check it out Mike, "Bread Alone" by Daniel Leader. I don't know if there is an online version. I read the book `17 years ago. Good book.. Trust me. I'll see what I can find. Maybe a payback for the beer you sent :mug:

I actually think I remember you mentioning that book in this thread a couple months back. I've had it in mind ever since.

Blessed are the days we are among friends.. I dont think that's in the bible but it sounds pretty good.

Very happy you had a good time BobbiLynn and super glad to hear you are feeling better.

Cheers my friend!

Dan

I actually think I remember you mentioning that book in this thread a couple months back. I've had it in mind ever since.

Yep, I think I probably did too. I'll try to find the online version if there is one and send you the link or I'll just get it off Amazon and send your way. Least I can do for a good friend and especially one who sent me some great beer and hardcider!!!

Hefe,

It's real easy to get that nice fresh bread aroma going through your home. Get some yeast, not quick rising although it will work.

Fleishman, the active one. Has a recipe on the pouch. Follow it. Kneading is nothing extraordinary. Just working the dough.

Flatten

fold

knuckles in push

turn

Flatten fold

knuckes in push

over and over for 5 minutes or so, adding a bit of flour in the beginning so the dough is not too sticky.

Follow the rest of the directions for rise time and oven temps. You'll make good bread.

Like basic brew kits, that's a start.. Might spark your interest, or you might just rather buy it.

:mug:

The only thing you left out is 'throw some spent grains from your last batch in the dough'. I just started making bread around 6 months ago following a similar method. I would finish brewing and always felt bad throwing 12-15 lbs of spent grain out. I now grab about 5 lbs of grain after brewing, dry it out and mix into bread, pretzels, even banana bread (my wife makes that, I just provide the grain).

This week I'm trying 'Irish red' pizza dough for the first time...

Blessed are the days we are among friends.
Dan

If it's not in the bible, it should be. I know they will be life-long friends, they want to take me to see some of their favorite places. They asked me questions about my hubby and I told them a little, they 100%, completely understood once they got a first hand look at things. Hubby's friend tried to visit with him, but then gave up on that idea and decided to hang with me and his wife. Hubby was glad! He knew he wouldn't be able to keep up with us. Hubby is really proud of me and the impression I made on our new real-life friends. He still can't believe I got them to loosen up after a long 2 days and drink some wine.

It's not him talking, just his advertising team but this tells a little about the guy - not all, not by a longshot; and his personal story telling and breadmaking guidance is way superior to this little advertisement crap.

...And so, Bread Alone was born. Dan opened the bakery in a small building with an old stone oven and spent the next five years learning to deal with its limitations while turning out bread. Eventually, he hired André LeFort to build brick ovens for the bakery. He had to import both LeFort and many of the materials from France—and only after battling with the planning board of the town of Boiceville. Finally, the ovens were built and today Dan and his staff produce fifteen tons of fresh bread per week.

Yep, I think I probably did too. I'll try to find the online version if there is one and send you the link or I'll just get it off Amazon and send your way. Least I can do for a good friend and especially one who sent me some great beer and hardcider!!!
That is a very kind gesture Dan! I would really appreciate that! Thank you!
It's not him talking, just his advertising team but this tells a little about the guy - not all, not by a longshot; and his personal story telling and breadmaking guidance is way superior to this little advertisement crap.

That's actually a great story! I appreciate the fact that someone would go through that much to bake bread. It seems so simple, yet it's very important to him. Reminds me of why I started my business. Maybe I just need to go back to my roots. Thanks Dan!

That is a very kind gesture Dan! I would really appreciate that! Thank you!

That's actually a great story! I appreciate the fact that someone would go through that much to bake bread. It seems so simple, yet it's very important to him. Reminds me of why I started my business. Maybe I just need to go back to my roots. Thanks Dan!

I truly believe you will enjoy this book, Mike.

Daniel Leader is a guy like you. Struck out on his own, built a business and perseveres through hard times. Doing (I'm supposing like you) something he loves.

Let's talk about Levan in a few months? :)

I was going to post this in the bread making thread, but I'm on my touch pad and I cant find the thread. My question is: I see lots of posts re using a % of spent grains in bread. Is there any reason not to use a % of fresh grains such as 2 row or Maris crushed into flour?

I was going to post this in the bread making thread, but I'm on my touch pad and I cant find the thread. My question is: I see lots of posts re using a % of spent grains in bread. Is there any reason not to use a % of fresh grains such as 2 row or Maris crushed into flour?

I don't see why that would be an issue,I've used spent grain,wort,dme and beer In various breads.

Howdy late niters! Hope all is well. Nice to see BobbiLynn checking in. I see the regular band of misfits also keeping this directionless thread moving slowly to nowhere. I'm happy to do my part. In that vein, here's the awesome Bill Withers, with an upbeat note for your late night soundtrack.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you peel garlic?

I had this conversation with my sister-in-law about 20+ years ago. I told her all you need ot do is take a clove and lay it on your cutting board. Then lay the butcher blade flat over the clove. Give the blade a smack. It breaks the layer paper that covers the clove and pretty much, the skin falls off.

Anybody else do that?

How do you peel garlic?

I had this conversation with my sister-in-law about 20+ years ago. I told her all you need ot do is take a clove and lay it on your cutting board. Then lay the butcher blade flat over the clove. Give the blade a smack. It breaks the layer paper that covers the clove and pretty much, the skin falls off.

Anybody else do that?

I always cut the hard root part off the bottom and find the skin usually comes of in one whole piece after that

These will always be caramel delites to me.... Either or they are delicious

1393557537104.jpg

How do you peel garlic?

Anybody else do that?

Agree with you on this Dan.

How do you peel garlic?

Anybody else do that?

+1 not sure where I learned it, but it's the way I've done it for over 20 years

Was so funny to see my sister in law peel garlic. I showed her how to do it but she was stuck in her ways. We all are I suppose.

Stuck in my ways...always sleep on the right side of the bed..at home and traveling. Toilet paper comes off the roll from the bottom. Only mayo in my house is Best Foods.

Stuck in my ways...always sleep on the right side of the bed..at home and traveling. Toilet paper comes off the roll from the bottom. Only mayo in my house is Best Foods.

Haha.. Think I do understand. There's a thread here about, ef what is it callled, something about obsessvive disorderr. os .. something.

My mind only.. sure we all do some things out of habit. When the need becomes to strong and everything we do must be controllled.. I think that is called Obcessive Compulsion Disorder, or something ike that.

Left side, Hellman's, and top. I guess we are all different. :rockin:

Inside joke? I don't get it but do sleep on my left side, if that counts. I wonder why why people prefer one side or another? Sometimes I sleep on my back.. not good. I snore like a steam train.

I believe he meant side of the bed not yours.

Very true. I always sleep on the left side of the bed when I'm sleeping with my wife. Even if I'm on a business trip and have the whole bed to myself I sleep on my left side on the left side of the bed. I have no idea why..

I'm admittedly making some ..er.. err.. potatoes, from a box. I've made them before lately and they taste good.. Most of the products are loaded with salt, I use the one with the least salt. These things are good in a pinch but are not to be made a made a lifetime committment

Inside joke? I don't get it but do sleep on my left side, if that counts. I wonder why why people prefer one side or another? Sometimes I sleep on my back.. not good. I snore like a steam train.

Left side of the bed. I don't think I prefer it, but it's where I've been forever with a wife there. On my own, I think I hit all four corners.

I'm admittedly making some ..er.. err.. potatoes, from a box. I've made them before lately and they taste good.. Most of the products are loaded with salt, I use the one with the least salt. These things are good in a pinch but are not to be made a made a lifetime committment
If you have some extra freezer space, try making a good sized batch of real ones and freezing the leftovers in individual portions. If you let them thaw out instead of heating them to speed things up they are pretty good.

I used to make a big batch of spaghetti noodles once a week and put them in the fridge with no sauce on them. Then I could take some out, add sauce, and nuke them for a quick side dish. You get 7-10 days in the fridge with just cooked noodles in an air tight container in the fridge. Saves a lot of time, and saturated fat like you'd get from ramen noodles.
Left side of the bed. I don't think I prefer it, but it's where I've been forever with a wife there. On my own, I think I hit all four corners.
I toss and turn. I could end up in any position that is still on the bed. I do wake up when I start to roll off. :)

Listened to Basic Brewing Radio's (video) on speed brewing. 1 gallon Apollo/Cent IPA in 40 Minutes from opening grain cupboard to all dishes put away and my yeast pitched. Nice.

We did a few no-sparge 10 gallon batches at about 3-1/2 hours. That's 21 minutes per gallon x 2 brewers = 42 minutes per gallon. Just sayin':D and some of my best beers have been no-sparge.

BTW, TP should always be over the top. I haven't looked but have never found a single sound argument for the "other" way.

over_the_top_round_sticker-r716452a3f874462ba9f41a704ec65042_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg

That would be perfect because no matter the situation you would always have a roll at you disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back