I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might just be synical, but it seems like the old school generation joined because they had something worth fighting for. But nowdays, they join because they have nothing to live for. Getting shot at pays better than the jobs available to most. My buddy Josh just got back from his third middle east tour. 101st Airborne. Now they're trying to push him out on disability because of hearing loss from all the combat he's seen. I won't go any further. I'm not trying to start a political debate. That would create unneccesary work for PP. :) I just don't think it makes good sense to join right now.

The old school generation joined up because they did have something worth fighting for, and they were in distinct danger of losing it. We were losing the war, badly, in 42 and were just turning the tide around in 43. We were fighting and bleeding a lot and there was a distinct danger of losing during that whole time.

I think now the concern now is that our foreign policy is actually provoking a lot of anti-American sentiment. I did not re-enlist in the Air Force because I really questioned the need for all these wars. God bless the men and women that we've sent in to these messes, and give them a soft corner of Heaven to rest in. But I hope Satan is warming a special corner of Hell for those dope politicians that are making these ******* wars.

These new contrived wars are preventing us from enjoying the peace won by the last generations.

I might just be synical, but it seems like the old school generation joined because they had something worth fighting for. But nowdays, they join because they have nothing to live for. Getting shot at pays better than the jobs available to most. My buddy Josh just got back from his third middle east tour. 101st Airborne. Now they're trying to push him out on disability because of hearing loss from all the combat he's seen. I won't go any further. I'm not trying to start a political debate. That would create unneccesary work for PP. :) I just don't think it makes good sense to join right now.

I disagree. From WWI to 1973 we had selective service or conscription. Now, the benefits of military service are such that it warrants enough benefits for a volunteer force.

But yeah, to avoid debate potential, I'll leave it at that.

:mug:

Glenn Miller is awesome, I love big band jazz

Agreed!! The video TC sent is 37 minutes of great American music. I cut it short to post back here quickly but will be returning to it in a moment. Posting on a phone and having a YouTube video doesn't work well for me. I'm probably doing something wrong.

BBL, I'll have to agree to disagree. But like you said, PP, doesn't need any more unnecessary work. PM or a thread in an appropriate place. I'm all ears. And a few opinions as well. :)

Gonna go listen to Glenn Miller!

Well, it's fur Elise anyway. Seems impossible to link from my phone.

Santa brought us an electric piano for Xmas. This will be the first piece I play on piano. I have played guitar on and off for about 20 years now. I'm not very good at that either but piano is hard! Santa also brought a violin...

Last edited by a moderator:
You-are-not-Banksy1-640x640.jpeg

Being a construction worker it's always feast or famine for me. As per norm this time of year I'm entering into the famine phase (well, not literally famine fortunately). We don't have any work at the moment. So, I've been catching up on brewery chores and what not. I decided on a whim to throw together a batch of peach-strawberry wine. I still have about 16 lbs. of frozen peaches to use up, so I might brew up a peach/wheat beer this week also.

IMG-20140107-00656.jpg

I'm with you!

SWMBO and I are starting to hunt for a new house. Yuck.

Yeah, we're moving to Prescott Arizona area. My Wife got her Dream Job starting the 1st Monday in March there, so she's going down in February. I'll retire from the State in July and move down then. She's going to house sit for a nephew that works up here in the summer in the Gold Mines. The house is 4 blocks from the hospital where She'll be working. Big change from Southern Alaska to Central Arizona!

Yeah, we're moving to Prescott Arizona area. My Wife got her Dream Job starting the 1st Monday in March there, so she's going down in February. I'll retire from the State in July and move down then. She's going to house sit for a nephew that works up here in the summer in the Gold Mines. The house is 4 blocks from the hospital where She'll be working. Big change from Southern Alaska to Central Arizona!

Sounds like a wonderful adventure. Welcome back to the lower 48

We're basically looking to upgrade the house and the neighbors. We got a cheap fixer-upper cottage by the lake, and we put a lot of money and effort into fixing it up, but it has been renovated repeatedly since the 1950s and it is a mish-mash of rookie and professional construction so there is only so much that can be done with it short of bulldozing it and rebuilding. Long term it's just too small for the two of us.

We're not looking to move far, but we want a bit larger house with more modern construction in a nicer neighborhood.

I hate house hunting because the realtors are all just trying to trick you into a quick sale. The photos and the ads are all phony, all shot from an angle that conveniently obscures the meth lab garage next door. And once you do select a house, a line of people line up and start taking your money.

I marinated about 3 or 4 pounds of the bear meat in red wine and olive oil(1/2 and 1/2) for 2 days in the fridge with salt, pepper and other spices I had on hand. Tomorrow I'm going to dice it into small pieces and cook it all day in a pot of spicy chili. Beef broth, tomatoes, onions, and lots of spicy peppers. Even raw it has a good smell. I will call it mystery meat chili and not tell anyone what is in it.

Subsailor said:
Thunder_Chicken said:
We're basically looking to upgrade the house and the neighbors. We got a cheap fixer-upper cottage by the lake, and we put a lot of money and effort into fixing it up, but it has been renovated repeatedly since the 1950s and it is a mish-mash of rookie and professional construction so there is only so much that can be done with it short of bulldozing it and rebuilding. Long term it's just too small for the two of us. We're not looking to move far, but we want a bit larger house with more modern construction in a nicer neighborhood. I hate house hunting because the realtors are all just trying to trick you into a quick sale. The photos and the ads are all phony, all shot from an angle that conveniently obscures the meth lab garage next door. And once you do select a house, a line of people line up and start taking your money.

I love house hunting! Get a list of possible homes, then either drive by, or try to "street view" Google each one. That should narrow down the field considerably. It took a year of looking for my ex and I to find our first house, but we were only considering homes in the town we lived in ( pop. 12,000) due to kids' school. Driving by the property was quick and saved a lot of time. Lots of places crossed off the list quickly.

Good luck BobbiLynn. It's funny, when you said bear meat the other day, bear meat chili immediately came to mind. Not that I've ever had that but what else would you first make with bear?

I'm not sure how I ran across this video. Was looking for something on YouTube and a Johnny Carson show came up with Don Rickles. And then a bunch of videos with Don Rickles' roasts. America had a sense of humor not that long ago.

Here's another that really was not long ago at all. No politics here. If a fellow can make fun of himself on occasion, take a ribbing and be a bit humbled; he hasn’t lost his sense of humor unless that man has a PR team trying to make him look humble as well as formidible. This is a funny video in my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.. They're like toenails; everybody has them.

Good luck BobbiLynn. It's funny, when you said bear meat the other day, bear meat chili immediately came to mind. Not that I've ever had that but what else would you first make with bear?

When I first started cooking with venison, I started with chili. So, yes, seemed appropriate. Spicy and meaty, I'm going to trick some people into trying a bowl if it turns out good.

When I first started cooking with venison, I started with chili. So, yes, seemed appropriate. Spicy and meaty, I'm going to trick some people into trying a bowl if it turns out good.

So, Bobbi? I'm sort of wondering what bear meat looks like, what part of the bear you cutting from? Is it like a cow with ribs/loin being the best and butt shoulder a bit different?

So, Bobbi? I'm sort of wondering what bear meat looks like, what part of the bear you cutting from? Is it like a cow with ribs/loin being the best and butt shoulder a bit different?

Oh, Dan, you know I love you too! And Melana, hurry to Florida to try some chili!!! I picked out meat from the rib area to cook first, it just looks tender and nice. It's actually redder than beef, and more dense. That's why I thought I'd cut it into small cubes. And bear has to be cooked very well done, they carry parasites and such, but nothing lots of heat won't kill.

It is like cow, the meat along the rib area was much easier to carve and the butt and shoulder area didn't cut as easily. Argh,, I'll take a pretzel.... Looks like bright red beef with hardly any fat.

Oh, Dan, you know I love you too! And Melana, hurry to Florida to try some chili!!! I picked out meat from the rib area to cook first, it just looks tender and nice. It's actually redder than beef, and more dense. That's why I thought I'd cut it into small cubes. And bear has to be cooked very well done, they carry parasites and such, but nothing lots of heat won't kill.

If I had the time I would! I'll be stopping in Orlando on my way to NOLA next month... does that count?

Spring Bear is our favorite, opposed to Fall Bear that has been on the fish. Spring bear looks like deep reddish/mahogony goodness before it's cooked. We take it apart just like any other animal we hunt - ribs, shoulder/butt, roast, steaks and burger/suasage. Bobbi is right, you do have to cook it well. We cook it similar to cooking beef; grill, stew, fry, etc.

Spring bear is lean because they used up most of their fat from the winter hibernating, especially up here.
Fall bear that's been on the fish gets a VERY strong fishy/gamey taste.
Fall bears from up north or away from fish, are usually heavily berry fed and have a wonderful marbleing of fat and bear grease is a lot like bacon grease.

Chili is on the stove and the meat smelled really good when I browned it first. I don't even think Florida bears hibernate, they've been getting into our trash all winter. We cut away what little fat there was when we skinned it, not much marbling, really lean and a bright, deep red color.

If I had the time I would! I'll be stopping in Orlando on my way to NOLA next month... does that count?

You can stop by here on your way to Orlando, or on your way to New Orleans from there, it's right on the way. I'll either freeze some chili and save it for you, or I got enough meat to make another batch. How spicy do you like it?

You can stop by here on your way to Orlando, or on your way to New Orleans from there, it's right on the way. I'll either freeze some chili and save it for you, or I got enough meat to make another batch. How spicy do you like it?

If you don't mind staying with mom in the big farm house, there are 2 extra bedrooms or you can stay in the camper behind the barn. ;)

Oh, well that could be dangerous then, trying to stop in, and I don't even know if you own a good parachute. Both Orlando and New Orleans are driving distance from here, 4.5 hours and about 5.5 hours respectively. But driving to NO you have to go through the evil tunnel, you'd have to bring along a homemade voodoo doll to ward off the spirits, or you can borrow one from me if you decide to drive next time.

BobbiLynn, you still making those dog designer clothes? Looking for something for my little big dawg Dasher. But PetSmart aint got no answer.. He's about 15 pounds, has long legs, long neck, and likes to smile. Since my wife's been gone he ain't been clothed in awhile.

pirate-60497.jpg
[/IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mVW8tgGY_w
Well, it's fur Elise anyway. Seems impossible to link from my phone.

Santa brought us an electric piano for Xmas. This will be the first piece I play on piano. I have played guitar on and off for about 20 years now. I'm not very good at that either but piano is hard! Santa also brought a violin...

Fur Elise is the first song I learned to play well. If I can play it, you can. BTW, I fixed your link.

All you need is four chords for modern music. Master them and you can play anything! For your late nite soundtrack, Axis of Awesome!

I got bursitis in my left shoulder trying to learn this song. I heard it on an overnight flight to Europe and had to play it. This woman below plays it painfully well. She has such an extraordinary touch.

Coincidentally, I read a book by NPR's Noah Adams called Piano Lessons in which he attempts to learn this song as a present to his wife (he doesn't play at all). Good read I thought. If you are just learning piano, I wouldn't recommend this song, but highly recommend the book. I think it's still in my piano seat with songbooks.

I love team work! :mug::mug::mug::mug:
PP, thankyou for fixing the link! Ischiavo - man ThankYou for finding that song!!

I just sent it to my guitar playing son and daughter.. Thank you.

Back