I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, I appreciate it more than you know. In the past year we've only gotten one thank you letter for our entire department.
I've been a technical, alpine and swiftwater rescuer for the past 6 years. It's refreshing to have more live patients than dead ones now. The scenery and opportunities, and the chance at occasional subjects found alive make it worthwhile though.
Is give anything to be able to do this for a living.

image-4240724029.jpg

image-3766825006.jpg

image-1473668412.jpg

snaps10 said:
Thank you, I appreciate it more than you know. In the past year we've only gotten one thank you letter for our entire department.
I've been a technical, alpine and swiftwater rescuer for the past 6 years. It's refreshing to have more live patients than dead ones now. The scenery and opportunities, and the chance at occasional subjects found alive make it worthwhile though.

I'm glad there are people like you who want to do alpine and swift water rescue. I don't even want to play in those places!

Good to hear.. I've been preoccupied lately with finding new work. I've been working here for 13 years so it's scary, but it's time to move on. I've got some amazing prospects ahead of me though, so also exciting.

I had that same problem last year, but on a slightly grander scale ;) there's some cases full you can't see on the floor.

What do you recommend as a corker for belgian/champagne bottles with cork & cap?

My LHBS only sells the floor corkers which will work for wine bottles, but not for a belgian and I've got a mead that I wish to bottle sparkling.

Cap's off to you snaps10!
No "Thank you letters"?
Ungrateful bastages....just know it IS appreciated.

Itching so bad to be able to drink from my first batch.
Bottled #2 last night and we shall see about #3 soon.
The auto-siphon was a life saver.
Too easy...thanks to all for the suggestions.

Cap's off to you snaps10!
No "Thank you letters"?
Ungrateful bastages....just know it IS appreciated.

Itching so bad to be able to drink from my first batch.
Bottled #2 last night and we shall see about #3 soon.
The auto-siphon was a life saver.
Too easy...thanks to all for the suggestions.

If you haven't gotten a vinator yet, I suggest that as the greatest bottling day savior!

Hats off to you and everyone in your field. One of those professions it is easy to take for granted, until you really need them! :mug:

mcbaumannerb said:
If you haven't gotten a vinator yet, I suggest that as the greatest bottling day savior!

I highly suggest getting kids if you haven't yet. They're the single best thing I've gotten for bottling day. I haven't bottled a single bottle off of the past three that I've done.

snaps10 said:
I highly suggest getting kids if you haven't yet. They're the single best thing I've gotten for bottling day. I haven't bottled a single bottle off of the past three that I've done.

If I let my son bottle, then every one would be infected!

Oh no, I've heard these reasons before....next your gonna tell us how good they are for deductions during tax time....no thank you sir...been there, done that....

There have been days when I understand why lions eat their young. :ban:

That has got to be some of the worst advice on this entire forum. Unless you meant slave workers you lure with hopes of candy and toys to do your bidding.

snaps10 said:
Awesome man! Oh and you really resemble Airborneguy. It's kind of weird actually.
Jukas said:
What do you recommend as a corker for belgian/champagne bottles with cork & cap?

My LHBS only sells the floor corkers which will work for wine bottles, but not for a belgian and I've got a mead that I wish to bottle sparkling.
I recommend the baffled plastic caps that you pop in by hand. Unless you're going to be doing it a lot those work great.

Varmintman said:
Heck I told my daughter her boobs would grow if she mowed the lawn. I had the best looking lawn that summer:D

Dude that's messed up :D

I've been a technical, alpine and swiftwater rescuer for the past 6 years. It's refreshing to have more live patients than dead ones now.

I wish people were more appreciative when you are rescuing them from situations that maybe a smidgeon of forethought could have averted and that endanger not just them, but also their rescuers. I hope I don't ever see you at work and thanks for being there.

Awesome man! Oh and you really resemble Airborneguy. It's kind of weird actually.

Bingo! Weird in a good way, right?

snaps10 said:

No longer living in an agrarian society, one child could be considered a novelty. More than that is just a foolish indulgence.

If you don't already have a bench capper, I really recommend the Super Colonna Capper/Corker (there is also one that only caps). It's well made, works awesome, and comes ready to cap both sizes of crowns, and cork as well. I am very happy with it, especially for the price.

No longer living in an agrarian society, one child could be considered a novelty. More than that is just a foolish indulgence.

Each person needs two kids for a stable population. The ramifications of a shrinking population on an economy are pretty serious. Then again, there are the nutjobs who have like a dozen+ kids, so some people need to not have any.

That being said, it almost feels like a duty to prevent a real-life Idiocracy. Though I've got my own share of issues (genetic and otherwise) that I wouldn't be eager to pass on to a kid. I don't know if I'll ever have kids, and if I had to bet right now I'd say I won't, but I'm not opposed to the idea and do crave that kind of purpose in my life. I can say right now though that if I did have kids, I'd definitely want two... no more, no less. Ideally, a girl and then a boy.

I recommend the baffled plastic caps that you pop in by hand. Unless you're going to be doing it a lot those work great.

I hate the way plastic caps look. I plan to do it semi-infrequently. I.e. anytime I desire a carbed mead, Belgian, or when my sours are ready.

It might be a pita to do corks & cages, but it's the route I intend to go, just need to find a decent corker that will work on Belgian bottles.

If you don't already have a bench capper, I really recommend the Super Colonna Capper/Corker (there is also one that only caps). It's well made, works awesome, and comes ready to cap both sizes of crowns, and cork as well. I am very happy with it, especially for the price.

Each person needs two kids for a stable population. The ramifications of a shrinking population on an economy are pretty serious. Then again, there are the nutjobs who have like a dozen+ kids, so some people need to not have any.

That being said, it almost feels like a duty to prevent a real-life Idiocracy. Though I've got my own share of issues (genetic and otherwise) that I wouldn't be eager to pass on to a kid. I don't know if I'll ever have kids, and if I had to bet right now I'd say I won't, but I'm not opposed to the idea and do crave that kind of purpose in my life. I can say right now though that if I did have kids, I'd definitely want two... no more, no less. Ideally, a girl and then a boy.

If there were 2 children for each adult, doesn't that mean the population will double each generation?

We've been steadily devolving as a species for some time now. Think it's a little late to start a one man breeding campaign to save the gene-pool. You'd just be cursing your intelligent children to live in a doomed world largely populated by morons.

If there were 2 children for each adult, doesn't that mean the population will double each generation?

We've been steadily devolving as a species for some time now. Think it's a little late to start a one man breeding campaign to save the gene-pool. You'd just be cursing your intelligent children to live in a doomed world largely populated by morons.

Ah, but he said each person needs to have 2 kids, not 2 kids for each person. If my wife and I have two kids, we each have 2 kids, but there's not two kids per person. As long as it takes 2 people to have a child (i.e. no cloning) then each person having two children = 1 child per person.

:D

Ah, but he said each person needs to have 2 kids, not 2 kids for each person. If my wife and I have two kids, we each have 2 kids, but there's not two kids per person. As long as it takes 2 people to have a child (i.e. no cloning) then each person having two children = 1 child per person.

Me no word problem good. Head hurt bad now. More beer I will drink and feel better. :drunk:

BrewKnurd said:

You know you miss the debate forum! ;)

Well, we're working in number four, so I guess we're overpopulating. I'm cool with that though. I could really use a couple more hands on brew days.

image-3087803155.jpg

image-4097579101.jpg

image-838495199.jpg

The baby just helps taste testing.

Note: I do not condone underaged drinking. Both of my oldest I allowed to taste beer to curb their curiosity. They both vowed to never drink that bike stuff again because it was nasty. My son sucks down the rootbeer on brew day, because he says it takes beer to make beer. They both have their own tap in the kegerator which they rotate between sparkling cider, rootbeer and ginger ale.

Yep, that's exactly how I meant it. Funny thing is that I almost said each person having 1 kid, but realized that was wrong. :D

All I know is our one child is more than a handful! ;) Been busy the last several days between my DYI project, work and extracurricular activities. But once I got home from tonight's ski lesson I decided it was time for my kolsch to get bottled. I am quite happy about the color and clarity but there is an off taste in the sample. I just hope it's because it is green and will mellow into a great taste after collaring for a few weeks (but this is only my second lager - so a little nervous.) I still have the batch of RIS that has been bulk aging for almost four months that I need to bottle. That may be tomorrow night since I'm thinking of taking Friday off to brew a Citra SMaSH and need the better bottle for that.

varmintman - have you recovered from your ailing back or did your brew day cause a set back?

BobbiLynn - I hope all is well and you've just been getting some rest. My thoughts go out to you and your hubby! :)

About to head to bed but it seems like there hasn't been much music lately. This is my favorite from Bowie...

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love growing things too. Not even ordering seeds this year though, gonna try my luck with all of last year's extra seed. I'd have to look through the seed packets to list them all. So much to do, so little time.... Know the feeling.

Oh man I should not have brewed. Sore and I suspect looking like a horse rode hard and put away wet....But happy:D

My wife pulls seeds from all the plants we grew from the previous year and plants them. Seems to work pretty good so far.

Sigh I am going to finish this porter and head to bed I think. But I will sleep well knowing that I got more beer a brewing:ban:

Usually planting harvested seeds works fine. After all, how do you think they got them to put in the package?

The exception is hybridized seed. Usually 3/4 of those come up weird. By successively harvesting only the ones that grow normally you can end up with a variety that will grow normally, but you're usually looking at 5+ generations of selection before you have a consistent performer. Plus they won't ever perform as well as the original plants.

With normal seed you can harvest seed only from your top performing plants, and after about 3 years you should have plants that are really dialed in for your conditions. Usually you have enough genetic diversity in just a few packets of seeds to hit something that just loves your land.

I'm so glad I bought this house. I've missed having truly fresh and ripe produce.

All I know is our one child is more than a handful! ;) Been busy the last several days between my DYI project, work and extracurricular activities. But once I got home from tonight's ski lesson I decided it was time for my kolsch to get bottled. I am quite happy about the color and clarity but there is an off taste in the sample. I just hope it's because it is green and will mellow into a great taste after collaring for a few weeks (but this is only my second lager - so a little nervous.) I still have the batch of RIS that has been bulk aging for almost four months that I need to bottle. That may be tomorrow night since I'm thinking of taking Friday off to brew a Citra SMaSH and need the better bottle for that.

varmintman - have you recovered from your ailing back or did your brew day cause a set back?

BobbiLynn - I hope all is well and you've just been getting some rest. My thoughts go out to you and your hubby! :)

About to head to bed but it seems like there hasn't been much music lately. This is my favorite from Bowie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSH--SJKVQQ&sns=em

I am still buggered up and not knowing what it is now. Stopped taking the pain pills because they tear my stomach up.

No worries though. I got plenty of beer in bottles so I am not hurting:cross:

I am still buggered up and not knowing what it is now. Stopped taking the pain pills because they tear my stomach up.

No worries though. I got plenty of beer in bottles so I am not hurting:cross:

What kind of pain pills? Don't take them on an empty stomach.

It was called hydro something or another. I have had the same bottle now for a couple of years. They gave me some oxy something at first and I took those for a day and went back to the Dr and gave them to him and said I wanted something weaker. Man I was way out there taking those pills :fro:

I guess I am just not one for taking pills very much.

It was called hydro something or another. I have had the same bottle now for a couple of years. They gave me some oxy something at first and I took those for a day and went back to the Dr and gave them to him and said I wanted something weaker. Man I was way out there taking those pills :fro:

Send all your extra pills to bottlebomber... will have a few funny posts :p

Varmintman said:

Yeeeaaahhhh. Both of those will send you in to Lala land.

Back