I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I woke up this morning and thought about how wonderfully amazing the human body is. Actually, if I go on that thought, life.

It's truly fascinating. I was thinking something similar a few days ago. How does our body know how to heal itself perfectly, with our own skin?

Why when people are only given a short time to live, do they beat all odds?

How can we "feel" when others are looking at us?

Why do we dream when we sleep? Why do we think about anything at all?

So many mysterious questions while we are here on earth, I hope we get an answer to in the after life.

Fourteen years ago I went home, visited my hero, my dad. He was near the end of his life. We took a car ride from central Illinois to St Louis mo. Dad dozed off most of the three hour ride. He was awake when this song came on the radio. He listened to it and laughed, a fun laugh. He said He'd never heard it before. Haha
http://youtu.be/VMnjF1O4eH0
http://youtu.be/VMnjF1O4eH0

Dad would of been 80 a few weeks ago. Youngest of his 3 other siblings. They're all still alive and going strong. Sorry for the drama. I just miss my pops

The pic I've put up as my avatar is obviously a young Sean Connery. When I looked for a photo to use for an avatar I googled black and whites of classic men. You can't go wrong with 007. Strange thing is, I realized later Connery and my dad looked a lot alike in their late 20's early 30's. I take after my German mother's features, don't look much like my dad. My two brothers are pretty strikingly handsome though. They take after my dad's features.

Not to worry Dan. Late night is a time for pondering and thinking on things you dont normally. I am not super active in this thread, but read every post.

Your dad meant a lot to you. That I can tell, and that is a great blessing as it seems that nowadays many people do not get along with their family and some kids do not look back fondly at their times with their parents. You are one of the lucky ones that have a good father to teach you right from wrong that you can think back on time spent with. I for one, will never fault a man or woman for that.

Not to worry Dan. Late night is a time for pondering and thinking on things you dont normally.

Indeed!

My suggestion to anyone who cares is to not EVER dwell on the past. DO NOT spend time on regret. Remember with fondness those who have passed of course, but get on with life.

Speaking of life, if you've created any, that's where your focus should be.

Hope this night finds my late nite denizens comfy in their situations. For your late nite soundtrack, City and Colour.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS8xDo-qM8w[/ame]

I don't know if I ever mentioned it but my wife is from Hawaii. Her bloodline is purely Japanese, she is second generation American. Her mom and dad were old enough to be alive, early teens when Pearl Harbor was attacked

. By the time her mom was born, 1929 the Japanese immigrants here in Hawaii gave their kid's first name something American; Betty, Beverly, Irene.. Names like that. Middle name always a Japanese name. Men still carry on the family name. Women of course carry their married name. My wife's maiden name is Masa****o, now it's Dawson.

The Japanese immigrants wanted American names for their children but by the time my wife was born, 1950 ish. The children weren't taught to speak their mother language. I'm speculating that is because WWII was such a recent past that maybe parents didn't want to brandish their children as Japs. And I use the derogatory term Japs only for effect. That was a term of hatred I believe that came from WWII and that was America's name for them then. Parents didn't what their kids name a Japs

(( this is just my opinion, I may very well be wrong))

So, my wife, this week has taken her first trip to her motherland. I should have gone with her, I lived there 5 years. I'd be a good tour guide. [emoji3]. But she's there on a tour and having a blast.

I said to her before she left that when she got back she would be bowing to me and saying " hai! Hai! Danielson [emoji3]. I hope Im correct about that. ; )

I bought a wet stone at a Japanese market a while back, 5-6 months ago. I used it on my kitchen knives and Buck knife. I think the thing works decently. My knives have never been sharper, I've also realized the value of those long cylindrical knife honers included in every wood block knife set. I also have a new appreciation for a piece of leather.. A strop. For now I use the flat side of my leather wallet. The knife blades around my house are now about as sharp as they were brand new, maybe sharper

Sharp knives are so much easier to prep meat and veggies. My wife cut some carrots and broccoli last night and said to me, this knife is great. Did you hand wash it?

Ha!

I doubt I'll ever truly become a knife sharpening guru but do have a new interest in keeping my knives pretty sharp.

Cheers! [emoji3]

A honing steel is a knife's best friend. I use it on my knives every time before use. I have knives that are 6 years old that I used when I was cooking in my sister's restaurant that I have never had sharpened. My workhorse 8" chef's knife will still shave paper. Keep them honed & don't abuse them, and the edge of a good knife will stay around for a long while.

:)

A honing steel is a knife's best friend. I use it on my knives every time before use. I have knives that are 6 years old that I used when I was cooking in my sister's restaurant that I have never had sharpened. My workhorse 8" chef's knife will still shave paper. Keep them honed & don't abuse them, and the edge of a good knife will stay around for a long while.

:)

Great words of advice that I'm now realizing. Hopefully I'll get better and better at this skill. I'll tell you what, I used to be embarrassed pulling my Bucknife and try to cut anything when somebody could see. Now that blade, as it should be is amazing. I don't have anybody standing in line asking why the blade is so sharp... But they will[emoji3]

Another great tool I use everyday is a Leatherman multi use. Amazing little guy that does much! A lot of times during the day I need a straight slot screw driver, or #2 Phillips l, or needle nose pliers and that Leatherman is great. My wife wanted some small tree pruning done the other day and I used the saw blade on that knife because I didn't have pruning shears around. Worked great. I wouldn't recommend it for that use on a regular basis but it sure did come in useful in a pinch. Haha [emoji3]

I've only been to the Grand Old Opry once and it was happily memorable. Greatness is to small an adjective for the show!
I only went one time, I was around (13?). 1977 maybe. It made a huge impression on me.

I've never made it back there, should put that on my bucket list

Why do I write here too much[emoji3]

I thought about having a brew day after my oldest daughter asked me if I would make beer for her wedding. She plans to have an open beer and wine bar. The beer will be mostly BMC stuff. But she asked for me to make her some beer. I have two kegs to use for now.

One is filled with water set at 40 psi. Something about fizzy cold water that is very refreshing first thing in the morning; it washes out the throat cobwebs and after a long day of work in the heat it's very refreshing.

The other keg is an American Pale Ale that I brewed a few weeks ago. The day wasn't a perfect brew day but I think it mostly turned out ok. I let it ferment about two weeks, OG was .057, Fg .011. SRM about the color of a SNPA. I didn't have a fermentation chamber and my CFC clogged about a gallon into draining into the fermentation bucket. I didn't airerate because I used dry yeast, US05. I tasted a sample from the hydrometer after the beer fermented.

It tasted pretty good! [emoji3]

I have not touched it sense. I was thinking about brewing this weekend and having a couple friends over to let them get a chance to brew and give them samples of the APA.

I've force carbed a few beers. Sometimes at high pressure, rolling the keg and then bleeding off the excess pressure

This time I did something similar but set the pressure to 11-12. Rolled the keg around until I couldn't hear the pressure going in. You hear it till an equilibrium between pressure in
Head space and beer volume are equal, ya?
Then give it time to cold crash again, clarify. ( the beer clarified in the firm bucket before this)

I probably can't just give her some carbed water. BYO magazine has a recipe for a moderate, little less than 5% Blond. I think I'll give it a go. The wedding is next January so I have some time to try a few times, get the recipe tasting good through ingredients and probably more importantly; process control, correct fermenting temp You guys all know, that important stuff. [emoji3]

I'll work on it. I'm looking around for a chest freezer to turn into a temp controlled ferm chamber. Time, for now is on my side. We'll see [emoji3]j

Why do I write here too much[emoji3]

I thought about having a brew day after my oldest daughter asked me if I would make beer for her wedding. [emoji3]j

Congrats on the wedding hope everything goes as should on her day.

She plans to have an open beer and wine bar. The beer will be mostly BMC stuff. But she asked for me to make her some beer. I have two kegs to use for now.

One is filled with water set at 40 psi. Something about fizzy cold water that is very refreshing first thing in the morning; it washes out the throat cobwebs and after a long day of work in the heat it's very refreshing.

The other keg is an American Pale Ale that I brewed a few weeks ago. The day wasn't a perfect brew day but I think it mostly turned out ok. I let it ferment about two weeks, OG was .057, Fg .011. SRM about the color of a SNPA. I didn't have a fermentation chamber and my CFC clogged about a gallon into draining into the fermentation bucket. I didn't airerate because I used dry yeast, US05. I tasted a sample from the hydrometer after the beer fermented.

It tasted pretty good! [emoji3]

I have not touched it

Sorry grammar nazi in me.
FTFY

since.

I was thinking about brewing this weekend and having a couple friends over to let them get a chance to brew and give them samples of the APA.

I've force carbed a few beers. Sometimes at high pressure, rolling the keg and then bleeding off the excess pressure

This time I did something similar but set the pressure to 11-12. Rolled the keg around until I couldn't hear the pressure going in. You hear it till an equilibrium between pressure in
Head space and beer volume are equal, ya?
Then give it time to cold crash again, clarify. ( the beer clarified in the firm bucket before this)

I probably can't just give her some carbed water. BYO magazine has a recipe for a moderate, little less than 5% Blond. I think I'll give it a go. The wedding is next January so I have some time to try a few times, get the recipe tasting good through ingredients and probably more importantly; process control, correct fermenting temp You guys all know, that important stuff. [emoji3]

I'll work on it. I'm looking around for a chest freezer to turn into a temp controlled ferm chamber. Time, for now is on my side. We'll see [emoji3]j

Just to clarify a point in the end which is really mostly unequivocal but when you hear gas stop rushing it's just an equilibrium in the head space and the regulator. By slashing and or rolling around you have increased the amount of co2 absorbed into the liquid. The stopping of the regulator just means that even with sloshing and or rolling the pressure in the head space is equal to the regulator setting. Does that mean the liquid is at same level? I'd have to say no. Are the differences negligible??? Most likely. Depending on temp of the beer? Pressure setting? How long rolling blah blah blah. Just nitpicking details cause that's what I do. But sincerely congratulations and tell your daughter wish her best on her day.

Oh and if you wonder why you post here a lot of of read and understand/listen to what you're saying. I, for instance, always read new posts in subscribed threads(this is one) and almost live vicariously through stories of posters(such as yourself) and am always interested to hear new information. Especially of the happy wedding kind. Cheers. I usually don't comment because I don't feel I have anything relevant to add. But as a third shift worker, late night Brewer, long time reader, over lapsed subscribing member, congrats with the daughters wedding, I'm sure whatever beers you wind up brewing will come out just fine. You've been around this forum long enough to know what's what so give yourself some credit where it's do. Congrats enjoy keep on brewing and posting.

P.S. We do listen even though we don't always respond.

Thank you for the long and very welcome response GillSwills! Your words of congratulations, support and teaching are truly appreciated. Very truly. Thank you friend!

MasterChief, Cheers my brother! Cheers!!

I woke up this morning with a song playing in my head. Probably the only song I remember 99% more of than just the chorus line. I sang it as soon as I woke up, got really brave singing it loudly in the shower and even tried to lo find it on Pandora for the drive to work. No luck there though. Should have just Youtubed it![emoji3]

I think I'm missing some word but if you know this song your brain, maybe heart will fill in the missing words. I credit my sixth grade music teacher in 1974 or 75 for teaching me this. [emoji3]

Listen children to a story that happened long ago
Bout a mountain and the people
And the valley folk below
On the mountain was a treasure buried deep beneath the snow
And the valley people swore they'd have it for their very own

So go ahead hate your neighbor go ahead and cheat a friend
Do it in the name of heaven it you can justify it in the end
There won't be any trumpets blowing come the judgement day
But the bloody morning after
One tin soldier rides away

Du du du dhaum! [emoji3]

Okay I guess I'm not going to type out this whole song, it's long. Side note, a Dawson girl sang this song. Probably no relation to me but we did end up with the same last name. Awesome Dawson's. [emoji5

http://youtu.be/HKx0tdlxMfY

Since my norm late at night is to take a turn towards nostalgia here's another song my sixth grade teacher had us singing in music class. I've been told it's anything but a fun fairy tale. Airplane warships with big guns that smoke; also a reference to da paca loco, weed, Mary Jane or some drug.

I've drunk a lot of beer and whiskey. Regular drug test for work overcame the desire to use controlled substances. That's a different subject but I will say the two times in my life I got high was just before I joined the Navy a billion years ago and then again about a year later. Now I could get a weed card easily back in CA. Don't get me wrong. I don't walk with a stick up my butt. Just I don't do weed

I prefer to just hear this song as I did at 12. A fun innocent fantasy land. It's like walking to school in the rain with a bright yellow raincoat and hood - doesn't happen these days

http://youtu.be/Y7lmAc3LKWM

There is one thing in life that puts me into a dark and angry mood,,,just hate cancer. Strong word, hate. I hate cancer cells and their destruction. Who doesn't

Edited. Politics and religion don't belong here

Done venting. Sorry about that. The above subject just overwhelms me at times. All I can do is vent. Donate money for research, pray (I truly believe in the power of prayer, it might sound contradictory to things I've told you all about my beliefs but it's not.)

Ah shoots, I lost my train of thought. Oh ya[emoji3]. Car brakes!

I replaced my wife's front disc pads and rear drum shoes about a year ago. We live on a big hill and for about 2 miles you have to ride the brakes pretty hard. If I had a manual transmission I'd just use a lower gear to slow the cars down. Both of our vehicles are automatics, I suppose I could drop into second and let the transmission slowdown the speed. But for some reason I think that would be hard on an automatic transmission done every day for years and transmissions aren't cheap compared to brakes. I could be way off in my thinking so please feel free to correct my paranoia on that.

Getting back to my long winded tale. A year ago I changed out brake stuff. The new Front pads worked well But made a lot of dust. Turned shiny rims into black rims within a few days of cleaning them. And, they wore out quickly and because I wasn't on it fast enough wore down the rotors.

Good news though. Rotors, even good ones are not very expensive nor are premium ceramic pads. The last time I changed the pads I didn't change the rotors and used an expensive "organic" pad that I read up on later and found out it made a lot, and man from experience now I know it makes excessive dust. When I changed the pads last year I didn't even look into the pricing of rotors because I thought they would be super costly. Wrong. Fail.

So yesterday I bought premium disc pads, ceramic and two pretty good quality rotors, a can of brake cleaner, some grease, and two 3057 light bulbs for my other car. Rear turn signals. One went out last week.

So I am lucky because I have access to the auto hobby shop on base. Took my wife's car down there yesterday morning, got right in (rare). Put the care on a lift and pulled off all the tires, she was overdue for a rotation. I used the tire wrench that's came with the car. I could have checked out an air wrench which would have made swapping the wheels faster but This wasn't an Indy 500 pit stop and I wasn't in a hurry.

The only tools I needed to remove and replace the rotor was a 1/2" drive 17 mm socket and for the pad arms a 3/8" drive 14 mm socket. Those tools, some brake cleaner, rags and a little brake grease - done. Oh, also an 8" C clamp and piece of wood to compress the hydraulic piston on the caliper.

I'm not going to say I did this in half an hour although I bet some of you could. It took me around two hours or just a little under,..when I checked out of the auto center I was charged two hours. A great place it is. All the tools you need- free. A nice industrial hydraulic lift. And there are mechanics there to help if yo have a question about something. Plus there is a bit of camaraderie among everybody fixing their own vehicle. Pretty nice place the Pearl Harbor Auto Skills Center.

Any place you can fix your ride, I was ready to do it in my condo's parking lot but my wife said no! - rules and crap. I can deal with breaking a few rules but can't endure my wife unending griping. So we went to the auto place

Wow. I've been doing quite a lot of rambling lately and it verges on embarrassing. But I don't care to much about that. My name is Dan, and I'm a perpetual rambler [emoji5]️

I'll probably never stop

Cheers!

Dan

Ps. Or stop editing my posts' grammar and spelling, sentence structure. I'm bad at those

Hey Dan.
Hope all is well with you and yours. Glad that you have a shop resource like that. I wish I still had one of those. We used to have a friend of my grandfather who had a fully stocked shop that we could use to work on our cars and all it cost was some time to BS around and listen to tales from the good old days. I would always drop some cash on the desk as I left or donate a tool I bought for the job to the cause as payment. Unfortunately the guy who had the shop passed away several years ago and unfortunately we no longer have that wonderful resource. Maybe I can work out something with the community college near me. I know they have an automotive shop. It is wonderful to be a member of the busted knuckle automotive maintenance group (those who do for themselves) and it was a great way to bond with my dad when I was younger.

I started this response not only to remember the good old days, but to make a comment on your part. I have found that brakes, even the cheap ones have their place. I for one, hate the extended life/semi metallic ones as they put off wear onto your rotors rather than wear themselves which is their purpose. I am kind of unnerved by shops which always like to tell you that you need to replace your rotors practically every time you are due for a brake change. I do not know why they insist that rotors have to be mirror smooth, pads wear, they can adjust to a slightly grooved rotor.

Had to laugh today, brought my car in to get its annual safety inspection (it expired in March), and he realized that I only put 3k miles on the car in the past year. This guy I trust and he pointed out that my rotors were rusty and that maybe I just need to ride the brakes a little to clean it up. Had to laugh at that one. I do need to bleed and adjust them a little as it looks like they are wearing unevenly. Still passed. Good guy.

Now to show how stupid I am feeling. Went to change the headlamp on my motorcycle today and instead of unscrewing the housing to get to replace it I unscrewed the aim adjustment screw. Turned the bike on after giving up for the day and saw that it was aimed at the ceiling. Oops. Going to have to fix that tonight/tomorrow.

Happy Monday evening!

Don't know right now if this link will work. Maybe so. My wife and me don't have a perfect marriage. Go figure

We do have a favorite song from Elvis Presley
Let's see if I can post it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnhamPnvXuQ

Let me fix that link for you. I found it doesnt like the youtu.be stuff or https. If you go with the desktop link and change https to http it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may never have time to catch up with posts here but I heard through the grapevine that a couple people were wondering if I was dead or alive. Alive!!!!! And blackberries are in season here in North Florida a month early. You know what that means... more blackberry wine. Last year it was gone by the new year and didn't have time to properly age but damn, it was good stuff.

So.... I killed the oppossum, I already said that, I got 19 new chicks this year, hopefully most of them are laying hens. And... the dirty details... I just unloaded 4 tons of horse manure by myself with a pitch fork.

BobbiLynn
How are you?[emoji3]

Dan you would be better off using the brakes to slow down instead of down shifting an auto trans. If you use the trans let me know what your drive so I'll steer clear of them on the used market.;)

Instead of dragging the the brakes go on and off the brakes. Should keep them a little cooler than dragging them the whole way.
Or you could get your Fred Flintstone on.

Howdy late niters! Hope all is well. I see Dan reaching out to ghosts... good luck with that. People move on brother. Not you and I though :)

For your late nite soundtrack, a song that's always haunted me with its blue note. For your listening pleasure, this is Rare Silk (on vinyl!) channeling the wonderfully imitable Billy Strayhorn.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu8Q2uGjIng[/ame]

Let me fix that link for you. I found it doesnt like the youtu.be stuff or https. If you go with the desktop link and change https to http it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnhamPnvXuQ

Thanks DrunkleJon! I Learned about dropping the s but must have forgot. Funny thing is, I can watch you tube videos on my phone and post them here, usually successfully but most times I can't watch the same videos from this site, not on my phone. Laptop they are fine just not from an iPhone. I doubt it's this sight, must be a setting or app I'm missing on my phone

Howdy late niters! Hope all is well. I see Dan reaching out to ghosts... good luck with that. People move on brother. Not you and I though :)

For your late nite soundtrack, a song that's always haunted me with its blue note. For your listening pleasure, this is Rare Silk (on vinyl!) channeling the wonderfully imitable Billy Strayhorn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu8Q2uGjIng

Cheers to you Pappy. Hard to believe this thread has lasted as long as it has. You're a good guy Passedpawn and I'm super happy to know you.

Ok.. That's pretty mushy but I don't do sly macho comments to well. Haha

Cheers to you my friend! [emoji3]

Back